Speaker faceplate wiring?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

We are about to redecorate our rooms I was considering moving my hi-fi and av gear into the cupboard under the stairs. Now as we have a tendency to move furniture round a lot (don't ask! lol). I was thinking of using some banana plug faceplates like these:

http://www.letsautomate.com/12527.cfm?

Now for the wires that will run under the floor from one faceplate (in cupboard under stairs) to one of the faceplates in one of the rooms I assume that I can just use speaker cable wire for connecting the banana sockets. However what cable would be best suited for the subwoofer connection and what would be the max length?

Further more lets assume that you have 2 of these outlets in each of the 2 rooms (four in all) would it be ok to wire all these directly to one faceplate in the cupboard under the stairs or would it be best/safer to have 4 plates under the stairs and patch into the socket required from the amp. I would only be using one amp for surround (and one set of speakers) but rears and surrounds may go into room 1 socket 1 and woofer, fronts and center may go into room 1 socket 2

Finally (and sorry for the long post), if also using these:

http://www.letsautomate.com/12582.cfm?

What would be the max length of HDMI cable you'd use (from the terms of quality!)

Thanks
Steve

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
When I decorated our lounge I made my own faceplates from blank plates drilled to take speaker terminals purchased from Maplin.

I used good quality speaker cable from the amp to the faceplates. At the amplifier end I didn't bother with faceplates I ran the wires directly into the amp.

If you are using low level output to your sub then you will need a good quality double screened cable from the amp to the faceplate which should have a phono socket. Some soldering will be necessary here.

As for the speaker faceplates I attatched the cabling to them with gold plated crimp on connecters. System has been up and working for eleven years now and was well worth the effort. Looks neat and sounds good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts