Speaker dilemma??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello to everyone.

As usual looking for some help/ advice.

I was looking to buy a 5 . 1 package budget up to £1000. The package is for DVD's and CD's.

What about the Monitor Audio Bronze with a pair of BR5's and a pair of BRFX at the back with the centre and a BW10 sub £970

or Linn Komponent Av speaker package 110 fronts, 104 rears, 106 centre and a 120 sub for £999. This retails at over £2000!! I cant find much information about the Linn set up. Help.

My other option was to buy the Q Acoustics package ie the 1010i 5.1 with the 1030 fronts which would cost £500, this saving would buy my amp.!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Melloyello

If I read your post correctly - and there's no guarantee of that - then you've got £1000 to spend and don't know if it should all go on speakers or if you should divvy it up between a 5.1 package and a multichannel amplifier. Is that right?

If it is, do you already have a multichannel amp or are you starting from scratch? If you've got one, what is it?

Is the Linn package you've seen brand new, or ex-dem or secondhand? Or what?

That Monitor Audio package is great value provided (a) you've got a bit of room to stand it in and (b) you've got amplification capable of bringing the best out of it.

Sorry for all the questions. I know you came on here looking for answers...

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I have about £1000 to spend might be able to put another £250 to that if I really have to. I dont have an amp, all I have is a Pana PZ70 and a denon 1940.

I was going to buy the onkyo TX-SR505 as my amp and also buy a set of 5.1 speakers, hence the questions. My room is 6 metres long by 5 metres wide the ceiling will be about 3 metres high.

The Linn package is brand new still in the box, available from peter tyson in Carlisle, as is the monitor range.

Hope this answers your questions and helps you answer mine.

Any help will be appreciated.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Hello again

Looks to me like you're considering three different systems. It's important that your amplifier and speaker combination is sympathetic and in proportion, especially if you don't plan any other imminent upgrades.

Buying the Onkyo TX-SR505 and combining it with the Q Acoustics 5.1 package makes a lot of sense, and comes in well under budget. If you're drawn to the Monitor Audio package (and who wouldn't be?), the TX-SR605 (£400ish) would be better equipped to bring the best out of it. That blows your budget, I know, but not by much.

The Linn deal you've been offered certainly looks tempting, but I don't think you'd get the best out of package like that without spending out properly on amplification - certainly the TX-SR505 you're considering would be hopelessly outclassed. No, something like Onkyo's mighty TX-SR875 (£1000) is the least you should be considering - and that stuffs your budget comprehensively.

Of course, you could always buy the Linn package now and resolve to buy an appropriate amplifier when funds allow...

A

Anonymous

Thank you Simon for your reply. I might go with the Q Acoustics and the 505. I can upgrade at a later stage.

Mind you the monitor audio would be the bees knees! But would need to spend more money! I could always buy the monitor speaker package with the 505 amp and upgrade to a 605 at a later stage.

The Linn package seems to good to be true, they seem to want to sell them to me, mind you I hear from another supplier they have bought hundreds!!

Last question are the Linn's that much better than the monitors? I dont know what to think!! There is just not alot of info on the Linn's, they say they have a minimum output of 60. This seems a strange way to describe them.

Thanks again for your help.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
You'll only really hear significant differences (in terms of dynamics, detail and so on) between the Linn package and the MA package if you're using expensive and effective amplification. Though they're fairly different tonally, powering them with an Onkyo TX-SR605 (for instance) isn't going to put a huge distance between them.

For what it's worth, I think that the Monitor Audio speakers and the Onkyo -605 would make the most cost-effective combination. See if you can audition them and you'll hear what I mean.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your help Simon.

Im going to book an audition of the monitor audio speakers with the onkyo 605 amp and see what it sounds like, im sure it will sound alot better than the Q accoustics package I have listened to( not that it didnt sound good).

Iil let you know how I get on.

TRENDING THREADS