Question Should I get new speakers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Whether or not you think speakers have changed much over time, there's probably one thing we can agree on - and that's the fact that there isn't one speaker that doesn't sound better above, rather than below, conversation level volume.

Sadly for OP Steve, he's limited to the former.
Like him, I'm very conscious of, and considerate towards, attached neighbours.
But, as I've said before, If I had to ALWAYS play at a level where normal conversation could take place in the same room....I'm not sure I'd own a hifi - probably wouldn't have spent so much on it.

Anyone disagree when I say that at such low levels you're never going to hear the best any speaker can do?....(No doubt Stuart agrees, he's only happy at 90% of max. 🙉)
Absolutely 💯😁

I do of course see the point in decent speakers being much more able to produce a better sound at lower levels.
Some amps are particularly good at it some bad in my experience.

I've always found higher quality speakers become viscerally alive with the music once given a bit of power to play with.

I know the new fyne audio f502 (at nearly 4ft tall) I've just bought are surprisingly sensitive needing much less power to achieve a louder volume than the QA 3050i that although a big speaker themselves are dwarfed by the things.

Sure they sound very detailed at low volumes but up loud especially with classical the music comes alive.
Although maybe a bit too literally given that things fall off the shelves 😬
I've always personally preferred speakers/hifi that throws the music at you rather than it just flowing out, others prefer it different.

I am very lucky that I live in a property that allows me to play so loud without bothering others and really have respect for the guy who does not and respectfully keeps from making the neighbours life hell 👍

I stay with my original comment that if he's happy with his speakers then maybe sticking with them is wise.

Reactions: Steve983 and Gray

gasolin

Seems like many like the Wharfedale Linton 85th Heritage, so i wold litsen to them if they aren't to big

What amp do you have ?

Reactions: Steve983

Steve983

May 31, 2014
Visit site
^^^
Not sure if that question is to me as I am the OP? I'll answer anyway. For the last couple of months I've had a fully restored NAD 3020 ( from I estimate approx. 1983) which I absolutely love. Prior to that I had a modern NAD C316BEE which was fine for playing through speakers but sounded horrible to me via the headphone output so I have now sold it. I also have a 15 year old Cambridge Audio amp hooked up for headphone listening which to be honest is better than the 3020 for CD and Blu Ray listening depending on the type of music.

As summer has finally arrived here in the south of England I expect my speaker quest will be put back to the autumn as now is the time to get more outdoors but I'll report back whenever I finally do check out some new speakers.

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

TRENDING THREADS