Speaker & CD challenge

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After several years of not being used I am setting up my hi fi again and have a few challenges. Grateful for some advice and experience: I need new speakers and a CD player.

I have a Naim Nait 2 integrated amp and a Rega Planar 3 deck, as well as a newly acquired Denon TU1800 Tuner. My old speakers (Royd?) seem to have perished rubber around the outside of the cones so need a new pair. Positioning in this new room is not ideal, I have to place on wall moiunts (planning to use solid L shaped spikes mounts), which means the back of the speaker will be very close to the wall. My questions and challenges:

1. Given proximity to the wall is there any point going for better speakers (say Dali Lektor 1 or 2, EB1s etc) rather than something cheaper i.e. Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (which I have read are more forgiving close to a wall). Any recommendations for this combination of amp and position?

2. Was considering the NAD CD player 545BEE but again given the massive compromise on speaker position will I be wasting money and should I go for a lower price Cambridge Azur 340 ? Once again given the distinctive Naim sound will the NAD or Cambridge sound better? My gut feel is NAD, given more treble from the Cambridge.

I understand I should go and listen, but need some starting points (i.e. don't need to try CDs and speakers in all budgets but have a shortlist)

Advice, input, etc really appreciated.

A

Anonymous

You could try finding some designed to work close to a wall. I think there are some B&W's are; the 685's maybe?

As for the cd player, i think it'd be worth it, especially since you wont feel the need to change it if you ever get the chance to position the speakers better.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
For close to wall use you'd do well with some Linn "Kans". There are usually some on a well known auction site for a decent price.
Cdp wise, get the best you can afford and it'll keep you happy for the foreseeable future

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts