Speaker Cable directional??

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if Chord's Carnival Silver Plus cable is directional?

I recently bought a 2nd pair of matching cables to bi-amp from my receiver, and had never given it any thought before. But I notice that the pair I bought 2nd hand have what appears to be factory fitted shrink tubing around each set at one end, with the chord branding and arrows, which i currently have pointing in the direction away from the speaker and towards the amp.

Also i noticed on the other speaker, the cables used for HF and LF have the branded writing in opposite directions (although there's no arrows on the cables themselves).

It's not that I'm disappointed with the sound I get, but I know these RS6's have got more to give. how much extra may depend on using a dedicated cdp and stereo amp instead of an AV amp and universal disc player, although I believe both Marantz components are very musical. I'm always striving to get better 2 channel for music.

l should just try switching the cables to face the same way, but it really is going to be a massive task to reverse them now and I'll never be able to get the wiring as tidy again! (They're shielded & diverted from mains etc).

So if anyone could help me, I'd be really appreciative of the advice first before embarking on an absolute ball-aching task!

abacus

Forget it, there is no such thing as directional speaker cables, it’s a manufacture ploy to get more money out of you for zero performance gain. (See what the studios that produce the music you listen to use and you will find it is just 2.5mm sq. OFC cable, as fancy and expensive cable makes no difference to the sound)

Hope this helps

Bill

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Bill, I guess I'll leave it as it is then!

I couldn't see any logic in it, but when I spotted those arrows it got me thinking. But is the same true of interconnects? Or is it something to do with not changing direction once they're run in??

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
So... "When you buy a cable from us, its directionality is marked by either an arrow on a paper label, or on the heatshrink near one end of the cable. The signal follows the arrow, so on an interconnect connecting a CD player to an amplifier, the arrow points towards the amplifier. On a loudspeaker cable, the arrow points towards your speakers. "

Is all kid on then ? .... I recon that it is .... so... :rofl: to russ.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Interesting...I was aware some cables were designed this way but this is suggesting all cables have a direction. I'm not in a hurry to test this but worth trying when I get the chance. Hope the results are worth the upheaval! I'll post the results if I notice any difference or not. Cheers for pointing that out.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I thinks it's correct to say that the current to and from a loudspeaker travels in both 'directions' on both conductors because it is AC (alternating current) so how can there be a 'correct' direction for the cable?

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks too Profski/Cheb

I thought there might be something scientific in it to do with the atomic structure of the wire allowing for current to travel faster in one direction once they were run in, that was all! I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference, and having since seen other threads on this, I'll not be bothering!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts