Speaker advice for an amateur please!

pmcg911

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new here and need some help please! I know there's a consensus that you need to part with some serious cash for decent speakers, but my budget is my budget, and I'm wondering what I should aim for.

I currently have a pair of early 90s Aiwa speakers that came with an all in one stereo. So pretty basic stuff. They sound better than a mini speaker, that's all I know. Anyway, I want something a little better but again, I'm on a budget here. So I've seen Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and Q Acoustics 2010i for under £100 used, in decent condition. Are those good options? They seem to be well reviewed, but I don't know anything other than that, so any help would be gratefully received. Second hand is fine by me. Are there any other speakers I ought to be considering at my modest budget?

Thanks

Paul

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
In that price range, better reviewed will simply be better. You're not going to get perfect sound, just better sound. As you're buying used, rather than specific model, suggest you concentrate on either local seller who will let you listen or a seller who will accept returns.

Reactions: Rodolfo and DougK1
Welcome, Paul. None of us gets paid so we are all amateurs!

The QA and the Diamonds are both some of the best budget speakers around, and as you’ve seen, widely available. The good thing buying used is that you can readily resell if you don’t like them. Try to buy boxed if you think you might resell.

Are you connecting them to an Aiwa mini system or something else?

Reactions: DougK1

pmcg911

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
In that price range, better reviewed will simply be better. You're not going to get perfect sound, just better sound. As you're buying used, rather than specific model, suggest you concentrate on either local seller who will let you listen or a seller who will accept returns.
That's actually really good advice, thanks Arron

pmcg911

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
Thanks nopiano, this is reassuring actually, I appreciate this!! I'll be connecting them to a Marantz pm4200. Do you think that will pair well??

Good point about us all being amateurs. I probably should have used the term 'clueless' to describe my knowledge 😅

pmcg911

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
Hm, I did reply to you but my reply seems to have gone to the bottom of this thread, apologies if you didn't see it!
Welcome, Paul. None of us gets paid so we are all amateurs!

The QA and the Diamonds are both some of the best budget speakers around, and as you’ve seen, widely available. The good thing buying used is that you can readily resell if you don’t like them. Try to buy boxed if you think you might resell.

Are you connecting them to an Aiwa mini system or something else?

Fandango Andy

Hi all, I'm new here and need some help please! I know there's a consensus that you need to part with some serious cash for decent speakers, but my budget is my budget, and I'm wondering what I should aim for.

I currently have a pair of early 90s Aiwa speakers that came with an all in one stereo. So pretty basic stuff. They sound better than a mini speaker, that's all I know. Anyway, I want something a little better but again, I'm on a budget here. So I've seen Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and Q Acoustics 2010i for under £100 used, in decent condition. Are those good options? They seem to be well reviewed, but I don't know anything other than that, so any help would be gratefully received. Second hand is fine by me. Are there any other speakers I ought to be considering at my modest budget?

Thanks

Paul
The Q Acoustics are good speakers but lack bass. They are best in a system with a sub such as an AV setup.

You have a great sounding amp, but not the most powerful. 35 watts per channel i believe. Avoid speakers with that recommend more power.

I would recommend Mission from the early 2000s such as the 701 or M72. What hifi actually paired your amp with M72 as a recommend system back in the day.

If you look for local sellers offering collection only you can often find bargains.

As long as you buy in good condition and don't overpay you can always sell them on if you wish to upgrade.

Reactions: pmcg911
Thanks nopiano, this is reassuring actually, I appreciate this!! I'll be connecting them to a Marantz pm4200. Do you think that will pair well??

Good point about us all being amateurs. I probably should have used the term 'clueless' to describe my knowledge 😅
You can’t go wrong with a Marantz amp in my experience. The speakers will have far more ‘flavour’ in the sense of whether or not you like them.

Reactions: pmcg911

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts