sound bar

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Evening all

We have just decorated the living room in a rather nice 'shabby chic' style, so out goes my old black glass and steel Alphason unit and in comes a French vintage style ivory cream TV stand.

Problem, the Wife has now decided that the speakers from my old Sony surround sound unit look out of place with our new decor, so I've been looking at a sound bar with sub woofer instead.

Can anyone who has one and has previously had a 5.1 system let me know how the two compare and does the new technology make up for loosing the two rear speakers?

Many thanks in advance

Cliff.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I've heard soundbars a few times but not directly in comparison to my 5.1 system - I think you know that it's always going to be a compromise as far as sound quality is concerned going from dedicated 5.1 to soundbar. That said, if you have to make the change then you might as well get the best you can and take time to set it up properly in your room.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would never buy a soundbar because I use my system predominantly for music. Soundbars just make too many compromises and are entirely about room-friendly looks.

If it was me looking at a typical soundbar price range, I'd either buy a pair of active speakers (like the Q Acoustics BT3 or Ruark MR1) or a budget integrated stereo amp and a pair of standmount speakers. Yes it has compromises too (no dedicated centre channel), but in my opinion will sound much better than a soundbar 90% of the time. And these options are still quite discreet compared to a 5.1 system.

D

Deleted member 116933

Just get an amp with digital inputs/outputs and some speakers. In short.

But to be honest people do blow the this whole sound bar thing out of proportion (im not poking fingers at anyone just somthing i see alot on all forums). If you have a small room for example 3x3m or 2x2m i would argue 5.1 really should have no place in a room that small (learnt from my own experiance) it just turns into a big uncontrollable mess of sound (not to mention space gets tight), and a sound bar would do a far better job of filling that space with controlled concise sound....

Yes a sound bar is a comprimise but some are a good sounding comprimise's (and there only comprised in the fact that some try to do somthing the can't 5.1)

Just don't be fooled into thinking they're a surround sound product THERE NOT. They're basically an active 2ch stereo with a good centre image.

I had a listen to a monitor audio sound bar in my small room and it filled the space with a lovely thrilling sound. Adding a Subwoofer and letting the sound bar crossover at 80-100hz made it sound even better going loud with ease while stay composed and clear. Thats really all you ask for from any product any thing else is just preferance. (didnt get it in the end as i saved for alot longer and got my dream hifi instead)

Price range i wouldn't look any lower than the sonos at £500 that is the price where sound bars start to make sense. Though you might want to add a sub for the reasons stated above (it will love you for it cleaning the sound up)

I would Look at

Arcam

Monitor aduio asb1 (think thats the right model number)

dali kubix 1 (i think this is the best one out of the lot)

And B&W panorama 2

But for an amp with digital conections look at nad 3020 or a rotel Ra12 (depending on budget) and what ever speakers you like the sound of ! this will blow most sound bars out of the water. And in most cases cost less

Have a play and listen to as many options as you can and make your own mind up weather the "comprimise" is worth it or not

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts