stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Had the chance yesterday to listen to the following:

Elicit R

Aria

RP6 with Dynvector 10x5

RS3 speakers

Very nice open, transparent sound - I could quite easily live with it full time!

2nd listen of the Elicit R - it just plays music beautifully, this really is a lovely amp, it weighs an absolute tonne but havent worked how the volume control works! Doh!

Before I get shot down in flames, while I was there had a listen to an expensice Bryston Pre/Power with Focal speakers RP8 and Dynavector cart (2 up from the 10x5) - this was staggering - very controlled at high volume but you know what the Rega system wasnt far behind you knpw.

Seems once you start getting into mid range area you have to spends large amounts to get small improvements!

Elicit R - Ordered!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Had the chance yesterday to listen to the following:

Elicit R

Aria

RP6 with Dynvector 10x5

RS3 speakers

Very nice open, transparent sound - I could quite easily live with it full time!

2nd listen of the Elicit R - it just plays music beautifully, this really is a lovely amp, it weighs an absolute tonne but havent worked how the volume control works! Doh!

Before I get shot down in flames, while I was there had a listen to an expensice Bryston Pre/Power with Focal speakers RP8 and Dynavector cart (2 up from the 10x5) - this was staggering - very controlled at high volume but you know what the Rega system wasnt far behind you knpw.

Seems once you start getting into mid range terriory you have to spends large amounts to get small improvements!

Elicit R - Ordered!

Bye bye Brio :wave:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BTW we were using the Elicit R phono stage initially, then put the Aria on using the MM section with the high output of the 10x5 - tbh not much improvemnt - maybe vocals were a little more forward but it was only a quick listen - however the phono stage on the Elicit was cutting it very well!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Before I get shot down in flames, while I was there had a listen to an expensice Bryston Pre/Power with Focal speakers

Holy moly , have you checked out your fillings this morning Steve :grin:.

While I'm on mate. Where you considering a 10x5 back along or is that a figbox of my imagination ?.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
stevebrock said:
Before I get shot down in flames, while I was there had a listen to an expensice Bryston Pre/Power with Focal speakers

Holy moly , have you checked out your fillings this morning Steve :grin:.

While I'm on mate. Where you considering a 10x5 back along or is that a figbox of my imagination ?.

That Bryston combo was crazy, immense control, power & finesse - you pays ya money!

The 10x5 needs serious consideration - I nearly bought a Concept MM last week on impulse - but cant help thinking more cash will get me something better, however AndyBeau rates the concept MM amd I am sure its at least as good as the Exact - Just wish I had gone for the 10x5 from the off!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Absolutely Steve. One mans meat again. S'up to you mate but if you fancy, and your towel holder is up to it , I will lend you a 10x5 for a play with. Contact modders for my emither addy. Then you get the chance to hear if tis worth your shekels. Cant help with a clearaudio I'm afraid mate and the 10x5 is the only spare I have in the high output coil /mm dept. All my others are coils.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Absolutely Steve. One mans meat again. S'up to you mate but if you fancy, and your towel holder is up to it , I will lend you a 10x5 for a play with. Contact modders for my emither addy. Then you get the chance to hear if tis worth your shekels. Cant help with a clearaudio I'm afraid mate and the 10x5 is the only spare I have in the high output coil /mm dept. All my others are coils.

Crikey might take you up on that!

pretty confident setting it up on my TT, only things worrys me is the 4 wire/plugs they seem so brittle!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Nice one!

I always like it when kit is heavy. The Luxman L-507u I was looking at weighs in at 22.5 kg. The staff looked a bit worried when I tried to pick it up in the store (just wanted to feel the weight for myself...)

stevebrock said:

Seems once you start getting into mid range area you have to spends large amounts to get small improvements!

Elicit R - Ordered!

IME, there's little difference between budget and £1000 components. Likewise there's little between the £1000 and £2000 mark. It's only when you cross from one price bracket (cross the £1000 threshold) that the differences are more significant.

I wouldn't be surprised if you connected your RP6 to a Marantz 6004 or Arcam A18, along with RS3s there would be a *** paper difference. By the same token there's only a smidgeon between the Caspian, Naim XS and Leema.

TRENDING THREADS