Disappointing Rega Demo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

ISAC69 said:
A good balanced system should tell you the differences in quality between various recordings I

After upgrading my system I couldn't belive home many carp recordings and sources I had , throw away almost all my low resoltions MP3

and low qulity recording CD's .I am now listening to high resoltions files and better qulity recording CD and I learnt to appriciate the quality

of good recordings process . Bad quality recording/ sources = bad Music .
:wall:

No, no, no, no NO!

Content and recording quality are seperate entities and the quality of the music is not in any way related to the quality of the recording. A good recording is wonderful as it helps to appreciate the music even more, but a poor recording certainly doesn't render the musical content bad.

The equipment exists to serve the music (or spoken word or film or radio programme).

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
What bothers me about the Rega sound is the same things that I have always been bothered by and this has been consistent across all of their products I have heard. This being a thin and skeletal sort of sound that gets the outline of the music right and in a fast way but somehow this sound is lacking in substance and sounds undernourished. There is also a sharp, metallic, unnatural brightness in the upper mid range and lower treble area that always make me wince on vocal sibilance's.

You're exactly describing the sound of the Brio 3 amp when I had it.

One of the most awful sounding amps I've ever listened to.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
Bad quality recording/ sources = bad Music .

I have to agree with you. The quality of the music can be at a very high level but when the production is not very good it gets really hard for me to enjoy it.

Just bought the latest Dominic Miller CD (ad hoc).........I wish everything sounded this good ;)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
ISAC69 said:
Bad quality recording/ sources = bad Music .
:wall:

No, no, no, no NO!

Content and recording quality are seperate entities and the quality of the music is not in any way related to the quality of the recording. A good recording is wonderful as it helps to appreciate the music even more, but a poor recording certainly doesn't render the musical content bad.

The equipment exists to serve the music (or spoken word or film or radio programme).

As you say, Matthew, musical content and recording quality are separate. I think there's a verbal confusion at the root of this. I suspect what ISAC69 really meant was

Bad quality recording / sources = bad sound quality .

But if he actually meant what he said, then I share your exasperation.

Matt

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
matt49 said:
As you say, Matthew, musical content and recording quality are separate.

But if the musical content is exactly your taste and the recording quality is very bad, is it nice to listen to ?

Production is very, very important.

Take the latest Sound of Contact CD (Dimensionaut)..........music is great but the music is not nice to listen to because of the bad production.

What's the point of making high quality music when the recording is bad ?

Musical content and recording quality are equally important IMO.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Cypher said:
matt49 said:
As you say, Matthew, musical content and recording quality are separate.

But if the musical content is exactly your taste and the recording quality is very bad, is it nice to listen to ?

Production is very, very important.

Take the latest Sound of Contact CD (Dimensionaut)..........music is great but the music is not nice to listen to because of the bad production.

What's the point of making high quality music when the recording is bad ?

Musical content and recording quality are equally important IMO.

Conversely if the recording is good but the music is so boring. There is a theory about this banded about better the recording the worse the performance. For me the performance comes first.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
It's a personal thing ;) Some people are more tolerant about bad recordings, some are not.

Like I said.......for me they are both equally as important. As a musician/band you need both.

stevebrock said:
PP, wind your neck in - read back and you will see I already state that the Rega might not be for him!

This isnt the first time you have not enagged your brain before typing away - you have even back tracked on occasion (valve amps)

After living with my valve amp for a month, I am the first to admit that the Brio is coloured - With the Icon your getting nothing apart from whats on a recording - and to some extent even your Leema amp is coloured too.

I would stick my neck out and say that most SS amps under a couple of grand suffer this.

You dont know what a valve amp sounds like, I do and yes it shows up the Elicit & Brio amps for what they are!

Take note PP

Get off your pedestal. You've banged on about how great Regas are... no issue with that. Nor do I have an issue with valve amps. My only comment has always been, due to my rack set-up, a valve amp isn't practical.

Leema coloured? You're off your chump. They are the most neutral sounding amp anywhere near the money. I would say, given that valve amps have a textured sound, they suffer from a fair bit of COLOUR. Of course, I've could've spent the last 30-odd years not understanding any aspects of hi-fi. Just ask CJ (Cliff-boy), who made himself look a complete EDITED yesterday and didn't have the grace to apologise.

When I hear a Icon I'll give you a honest reply/thread, and if I'm totally wrong I'll be the first to come back here and hold my hands up.

This EDITED forum has just become a breeding ground for egoes. Get a life!

Likewise, if I find the Icon to be pants (I'll include photos at the dealers, subject to dealers permission) I'll certainly let you know.

Take note, Stevebrock.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Cypher said:
It's a personal thing ;) Some people are more tolerant about bad recordings, some are not.

Like I said.......for me they are both equally as important. As a musician/band you need both.

Yes I agree but pity if you can't enjoy less than perfect recordings on your system. Dominic Miller is OK, for that sort of style I prefer Antonio Forcione or Michael Hedges both are well recorded also.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
Yes I agree but pity if you can't enjoy less than perfect recordings on your system.

I'm trying but it's just hard for me. Bad production kills good music.

Never heard Antonio Forcione or Michael Hedges..........gonna check them out ;)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
BigH said:
Yes I agree but pity if you can't enjoy less than perfect recordings on your system.

I'm trying but it's just hard for me. Bad production kills good music.

Never heard Antonio Forcione or Michael Hedges..........gonna check them out ;)

I think you need to separate poor recording from poor production.

One of the big issues here is that a lot of modern 'pop' music is all about production.

In this case, poor production can remove any merit the music might actually have, in this case bad production most definitely means bad music.

On the other hand a poor recording of a great musical event is just that, and may be quite listenable in context.

I have, in the past dismissed poor production, often deliberately poor production, as trash. I stand by that. Similarly as a big fan of live (rock) recordings I listen to a lot of music that is, shall we say, not well recorded, but I have no problem whatsoever with that.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
You have some good points there Dave ;)

In the past I was a big metal fan. When I heard Dream Theater for the first time it was a revelation for me and after that I started listening to a lot of fusion/jazzrock music (Dave Weckl, Allan Holdsworth, Chick Corea). At that time I was just astonished how good those fusion CD's sounded and how bad those metal CD's sounded.......not all of them of course but a lot.

After that good production became very important to me. When you have a CD full of great songs it such a shame when the sound is poor......good production is just as important as the song quality........then you have a really awesome record ;)

But everyone has different standards when it comes to good production.

One of the best recordings ever is still Steely Dan - Aja. Even in 2014 the production still sounds fresh.............how did they do that ??

TRENDING THREADS