Disappointing Rega Demo

creepy

May 1, 2009
Visit site
Having owned a Naim system in the past and currently own a Denon DF107 mini system I decided the time had come to get back into hifi. I did not want to go the NAIM route due to a combination of cost and a struggle to fall in love with my previous system. It was good with well recorded material but tiring with lesser quality recordings.

I therefore decided to try out a full Rega system consisting of RP6 + Exact, Brio-r,Apollo r and RS1's. To say I was disappointed with the sound is an understatement. The sound was shut-in, with an over emphasis of the lower mid-range and upper-bass, and seemed to struggle to produce a decent soundstage. The dealer swapped out the speakers with RS3's and then later the brio with an Elicit. These obviously wrought some improvements but at a price; a price I neither want to pay or feel is needed.

Has anybody else experienced this sound with the above system? Did I just have a bad demo and would it be worth listening to the same setup at another dealer or do I need to look at something else? If so, what are everyones thoughts? The system above should give you an idea on the sort of money I am prepared to pay and what items I require. The main stipulation is that the speakers will need to work close to walls. My music tastes vary from Rock and pop to folk and classical and a bit of jazz.

you've demo-ed some decent kit there. you should have a few more demo's. try an arcam set-up, with the rega turntable, see if that gives you the sound you are after. and try some other speakers too. don't let one disappointing demo put you off.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
nothing wrong with not liking somethng if it's not for you. Try some different ones and don't feel pressured to buy the more expensive kit if you prefer the cheaper one :)

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Apollo-R CDP Hi-fi choice group test winner – April 2014

“The Apollo-R is a brilliant disc spinner – it is mesmerisingly entertaining to listen to. It seems to unlock a whole extra layer of emotion in the music, as if to remind you that it isn't just hi-fi that you're listening to, but the expression of some poor musician's tortured inner soul. It makes everything an intense experience, and is guaranteed to keep even the most sleep-deprived night owl capivated on the edge of the sofa.”

:rockout:

creepy

May 1, 2009
Visit site
I too read that review. However I suspect it was tested as part of their reference system. Also my comments on the demo were for the whole system not an individual component. The Apollo might well be the great, but the system was not.

However thanks to all those that replied. I suspect I will have to start demoing lots of other stuff (and there was me thinking it was going to be easy).

creepy

May 1, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to add that from what I could tell the rp6 wiped the floor with the apollo r (which i assume is to be expected)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I did try the Rega Apollo, Brio R and RS1 sytem, I must agree the RS1s were not good, sounded closed-in, a switch to B&W CM1s did open up the sound but they had their own problems.

For amp I would be looking at Creek 50A or Exposure 1010. CDp maybe Exposure or Marantz Pearl Lite. Rega TT is prob. OK or Project. Speakers now that where is gets harder, best to audition plenty, Kef R100 and LS50s are 2 to try. I tried lots an dended up with AVI 9RS (amp, speaker and dac) for £1,250.

creepy

May 1, 2009
Visit site
Interesting suggestions BigH. The Creek might be interesting if only because a creek amp formed the basis of my first and most loved system (Rega Planar 3, Creek 4140 and Morduant Short MS20's). The Exposure I had not thought of. Some more demo'ing required methinks.;)

matthewpiano

The Exposure is the best amp I've ever had, with a Creek 4330R coming in a very close second. I've listened to the Brio-R countless times and it is capable with the right speakers, but IMO the Exposure is a better all-rounder. Certainly worth an audition anyway, as is the Creek Evolution 50A.

Ultimately it comes down to what you enjoy listening to. A glittering review in a magazine, or a confident recommendation on a forum is useless if you don't enjoy what you hear, so get demoing some more options. Find a dealer who will spend some time with you, tell them a bit about your music tastes and room, and ask them to put together a system within your budget, with no further stipulations about brand etc. from yourself.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I listened to the Rega Brio R + Apollo R + RP3+ RS1 speakers not too long ago. While this Rega setup did some things well such as being rhythmic, fast and having a pretty good soundstage, overall I found myself underwhelmed by that system. I won't complain about the bass because I didn't expect much form those tiny monitors.

What bothers me about the Rega sound is the same things that I have always been bothered by and this has been consistent across all of their products I have heard. This being a thin and skeletal sort of sound that gets the outline of the music right and in a fast way but somehow this sound is lacking in substance and sounds undernourished. There is also a sharp, metallic, unnatural brightness in the upper mid range and lower treble area that always make me wince on vocal sibilance's.

I have owned a Brio 3 and a Brio R and a pair of Ayla speakers. They all had this type of sound along with my demo. I think the only smooth sounding, non fatiguing Rega piece I ever heard was the original Planet CD player.

Sorry Rega, to each their own. I guess.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I own a Creek 4330 so I'll second that one! Very good amp. Does everything well and easy is on the ears. I was also very impressed with the Exposure 2010S2 I listend to one time.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
To the OP, quit epossibly you don't like the Rega sound which is fine!

The Exact isn't the best way to show off what you demoed IMO.

Those RS1 speakers were probably not the best speakers in 'that' demo room?

I owned the RS1 and in 'my' lounge at home - they worked acoustically and i like them - maybe you should of tried the RS3.

I will never buy any hifi on the strength of a shop demo any more - I will insist on taking it home for a couple of days - this is where it pays dividends to build a rapport with a good dealer.

Most will need a holding deposit - but hey you need to make sure its right in 'your' room - however you may not like the Rega sound which is fine, don't give up on it yet.

With regards to comments on here about the Rega amps being harsh....... its only when you listen to a valve that this come apparent.

Good luck

Maybe try Exposure or Creek

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
What bothers me about the Rega sound is the same things that I have always been bothered by and this has been consistent across all of their products I have heard. This being a thin and skeletal sort of sound that gets the outline of the music right and in a fast way but somehow this sound is lacking in substance and sounds undernourished. There is also a sharp, metallic, unnatural brightness in the upper mid range and lower treble area that always make me wince on vocal sibilance's.

I've heard a few Rega set-ups, and for me above rings true, but only of the speakers. I think the Rega CDPs and amps are rather good, but they can't make speakers that don't sound thin and bright. My last experience was with a home demo of the RS5s on the end of my Sugden A21a; it was utterly grim. Shouty and grating treble, no depth, weak soundstage. With other speakers (currently running s/h PMC GB1i) the Sugden sounds great.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi Creepy ,

I am qouting you :

"I did not want to go the NAIM route due to a combination of cost and a struggle to fall in love with my previous system. It was good with well recorded material but tiring with lesser quality recordings "

This state is a sign that your system was good , Good quality material sound good and once the recording was poor it was revealed by your system immediately .

Systems that are trying to improve lesser quality material tend to make a manipulation and the result is artificial sound that is not faithful to the original recording . The Naim is a good example for a brand that is trying to keep the sound nautral and neutral as posible and that can't be said

about the Rega that is adding a "coloration" first it sounds lovley but after a long time listening it becomes annoying .

creepy

May 1, 2009
Visit site
Some interesting replies.

As regards my previous Naim sytem, whilst I have no problems with a system telling me the differences in quality between various recordings I cannot accept that a balanced system should make them unplayayble. That is like saying you can play audiophile recordings on your system but not the music you want to hear. If you cannot play your favourite music on a system, you have wasted your money. A stance, I might add, that the demoing dealer agreed with (and he is a NAIM dealer though he himself is not very keen on them).

I am beginning to believe that part of the sound problem I heard from the demo was the room acoustics affecting the RS1s. It was not the usual room they used as this was having some alterations done to it. I remember listening to some Rega Kytes many years ago and they were excellent.

The dealer is a ittle bit limited in the range of makes he stocks but I have used him before and so decided to start with him because he is a good bloke. My next demo may be at a dealer who has a slighly greater range to give me more scope and maybe a better demo room.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PP, wind your neck in - read back and you will see I already state that the Rega might not be for him!

This isnt the first time you have not enagged your brain before typing away - you have even back tracked on occasion (valve amps)

After living with my valve amp for a month, I am the first to admit that the Brio is coloured - With the Icon your getting nothing apart from whats on a recording - and to some extent even your Leema amp is coloured too.

I would stick my neck out and say that most SS amps under a couple of grand suffer this.

You dont know what a valve amp sounds like, I do and yes it shows up the Elicit & Brio amps for what they are!

Take note PP

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
creepy said:
Some interesting replies.

As regards my previous Naim sytem, whilst I have no problems with a system telling me the differences in quality between various recordings I cannot accept that a balanced system should make them unplayayble. That is like saying you can play audiophile recordings on your system but not the music you want to hear. If you cannot play your favourite music on a system, you have wasted your money. A stance, I might add, that the demoing dealer agreed with (and he is a NAIM dealer though he himself is not very keen on them).

I am beginning to believe that part of the sound problem I heard from the demo was the room acoustics affecting the RS1s. It was not the usual room they used as this was having some alterations done to it. I remember listening to some Rega Kytes many years ago and they were excellent.

The dealer is a ittle bit limited in the range of makes he stocks but I have used him before and so decided to start with him because he is a good bloke. My next demo may be at a dealer who has a slighly greater range to give me more scope and maybe a better demo room.

A good balanced system should tell you the differences in quality between various recordings I

After upgrading my system I couldn't belive home many carp recordings and sources I had , throw away almost all my low resoltions MP3

and low qulity recording CD's .I am now listening to high resoltions files and better qulity recording CD and I learnt to appriciate the quality

of good recordings process . Bad quality recording/ sources = bad Music .

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
A good balanced system should tell you the differences in quality between various recordings I

After upgrading my system I couldn't belive home many carp recordings and sources I had , throw away almost all my low resoltions MP3

and low qulity recording CD's .I am now listening to high resoltions files and better qulity recording CD and I learnt to appriciate the quality

of good recordings process . Bad quality recording/ sources = bad Music .

Really?

Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts