Rega RP6 Build

geoffreyc

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Am just about to splash out on Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5 any day now and then read a few comments on a couple of forums of RP6's exhibiting significant marks/scratches on the glossy plinths out of the box, as well as some reports of 'wobble' with the platter. There's even a thread on these forums regarding 'hairline cracks' etc., (not sure if these were 'B' grades though, but just want to ensure I don't get one myself and feel very sorry for those that do)

So those of you with an RP6 what sort of condition was yours in when you bought it? Did you have to get it replaced?

Nervous of parting with this sort of money that's taken some time to save up!!

Only experience so far of Rega products is an Apollo R CD player - fine player/build, but somewhat eccentric sometimes - especially the remote!

Thanks guys.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The marks and cracks in the plinth apply to the B stock Rega sold through some dealers, I had one myself that was ok cosmetically but displayed far too much platter wobble, Rega sent a new platter but this didn't solve the issue - so Rega replaced it with a brand new RP6 which is perfect. Personally if yoiu are buying a full price then check it before you take it home from the dealer if it isn't right then get one that is!

The 10x5 is a nice cart, but found it a little too forward with my Elicits phono stage, much preferring the Nagaoka MP-110 on most stuff however the 10x5 is very matter-of-fact and very revealing.

Just bear cart & phono matching is critical.

Hope you enjoy it!

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
My rega rp1 "new" had a platter wobble, my rp3 "grade b" had just a mark on the rp3 print. Go figure.

just buy one where you can take it back and swap easy enough, buying rega(and whafdale for me recently) online is a PITA.

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
While it would be silly to ignore the problems of others it is worth remembering that you're much more likely to go rushing to complain online when something goes wrong than to praise when eveything is perfect.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Milo_Myage said:
While it would be silly to ignore the problems of others it is worth remembering that you're much more likely to go rushing to complain online when something goes wrong than to praise when eveything is perfect.

Of course, Rega have been the victim of there own success - they have literally sold 1000's of Turntables over the last 12 months, a few bad ones are bound to get through. My replacement RP6 is 100%. Very happy with the after-sales servcie.

Yes Gandy's low mass philosophy hasnt exactly failed has it?

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Buy any Rega deck from a Rega dealer. They are supposed to un box them, set them up, and check them over before handing them over. You can give it a good look over yourself then. Rega have been known to put the wrong colour deck in the box to make sure dealers do this,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts