Rega Elex-R good match for KEF LS50s?

Bogester

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

I've been running a pair of KEF LS50 speakers with a Rega Brio-R for a few years now (with a Rega RP6/Nagaoka MP300 turntable and a Rega Apollo-R CD player). I've generally been very happy with the combination but feel that my front ends and speakers "deserve" a better amp, good though the Brio-R is for the money. Given that I listen to a lot of vinyl, so a decent phono stage is a must, I'm considering upgrading the amp to a Rega Elex-R. My only concern is that the Elex-R has been described as being a tad "lean" and "bright" in a few reviews (including WHF's own), so I'm wondering if they're a good match for the LS50s, which, being small standmounters, are not the most bass-heavy speakers out there. Basically, what I'm after is an an amp that builds on the strengths of the Brio-R but adds a more detail and resolution without being bright and edgy. Has anybody experienced this particular pairing and/or can compare the sound of the Brio-R to the Elex-R? Is the Elex-R a good match for the LS50s? To add an additional bit of info, prior to the Nagaoka MP200 I ran an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, which was a touch lean, bright and analytical sounding. Swapping the Orotofon out for the Nagaoka was a big step in the right direction (more body, warmth and natural sounding - I love the Nagaoka sound!), but I don't want to undo those improvements by going for an amp that shares the Ortofon's traits.

Cheers
Paul (Bogester)

Bogester said:
Hi all

I've been running a pair of KEF LS50 speakers with a Rega Brio-R for a few years now (with a Rega RP6/Nagaoka MP300 turntable and a Rega Apollo-R CD player). I've generally been very happy with the combination but feel that my front ends and speakers "deserve" a better amp, good though the Brio-R is for the money. Given that I listen to a lot of vinyl, so a decent phono stage is a must, I'm considering upgrading the amp to a Rega Elex-R. My only concern is that the Elex-R has been described as being a tad "lean" and "bright" in a few reviews (including WHF's own), so I'm wondering if they're a good match for the LS50s, which, being small standmounters, are not the most bass-heavy speakers out there. Basically, what I'm after is an an amp that builds on the strengths of the Brio-R but adds a more detail and resolution without being bright and edgy. Has anybody experienced this particular pairing and/or can compare the sound of the Brio-R to the Elex-R? Is the Elex-R a good match for the LS50s? To add an additional bit of info, prior to the Nagaoka MP200 I ran an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, which was a touch lean, bright and analytical sounding. Swapping the Orotofon out for the Nagaoka was a big step in the right direction (more body, warmth and natural sounding - I love the Nagaoka sound!), but I don't want to undo those improvements by going for an amp that shares the Ortofon's traits.

CheersPaul (Bogester)
This may not be exactly what you wanted, Paul, but I think you should borrow an Elex to try at home in your system. My reading of your aims is that this is the only way you can feel sure about the upgrade. What anyone else thinks is pretty irrelevant, and a good dealer should be your friend here

Good luck!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
This may not be exactly what you wanted, Paul, but I think you should borrow an Elex to try at home in your system. My reading of your aims is that this is the only way you can feel sure about the upgrade. What anyone else thinks is pretty irrelevant, and a good dealer should be your friend here

Good luck!

+1 get one home over a long weekend

jonathanRD said:
nopiano said:

Good luck!

+1 get one home over a long weekend

+2

There are many threads on here about this amp with that speaker but ultimately they are just opinions. Nobody can really tell you what sound is acceptable to you in your listening room. Reviews are just someones opinion of how it sounded to them in their listening environment. The only way to be sure is find a decent dealer that will allow you a home audition.

Bogester

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree that a home audition is the way to go and I'll see if I can sort one out. The (minor) problem is that I live in the US these days and the local Rega dealer here is somewhat less helpful than the very good one I was dealing with when I was living in the UK and the last time I asked them for a home audition their first response was "Where did you buy your equipment from, not from us?" and then proceeded not to answer my question, which really annoyed me and I vowed never to give them my business! I might give them a second chance and see if they want me as a customer.

Cheers
Paul

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Bogester said:
I agree that a home audition is the way to go and I'll see if I can sort one out. The (minor) problem is that I live in the US these days and the local Rega dealer here is somewhat less helpful than the very good one I was dealing with when I was living in the UK and the last time I asked them for a home audition their first response was "Where did you buy your equipment from, not from us?" and then proceeded not to answer my question, which really annoyed me and I vowed never to give them my business! I might give them a second chance and see if they want me as a customer.

CheersPaul

Drop this in writing to Rega at ...

Rega Research Ltd.
6 Coopers Way, Temple Farm Industrial Estate
SS2 5TE
Essex England

Or telephone 01702432427

As their agent this dealer is acting and speaking for Rega, so Rega should know what is going on for the sake of their customers and their reputation in your part of the USA.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Bogester said:

CheersPaul

I've heard this about american dealers, it really is different form the UK not that all uk dealers are good. My opinion the american dealers are more focussed on the high end of hifi, dealers are few and far between and its a different market than the uk. Remember if you have problems with your gear its the dealer you have to deal with, so best to find a good dealer if you can.

Maybe you should think about an external phono stage with the level of turntable /cartridge your at,and you should also consider the naim xs 2,it's a powerful smooth sounding amp,not like it's entry level nait 5i/si . this of course is only a suggestion if you get no satisfaction from the rega dealer,maybe a naim dealer might be more helpful.

Bogester

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Bogester said:

CheersPaul

I've heard this about american dealers, it really is different form the UK not that all uk dealers are good. My opinion the american dealers are more focussed on the high end of hifi, dealers are few and far between and its a different market than the uk. Remember if you have problems with your gear its the dealer you have to deal with, so best to find a good dealer if you can.

That's exactly my experience - always wanting to flog you the most expensive bit of kit. My missus and I once went into one of our local hi-fi stores in San Francisco to ask about an "affordable, not too expensive but does-the-job hi-fi rack". The guy there then went on to show me a rack that cost around $6,000! Absolutely clueless! You only have to look at the hi-fi press (e.g. Stereophile, The Absolute Sound) in America to see that it's very different here. The kind of sensible, no-nonsense advice you get from magazines/sites like WHF are sadly lacking over here... :-/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts