Sony TA-FB940R replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys

After 10 years I'm sorry to say my amp needs replacing. It's powering a pair of B&W DM602 S2s which are also 10 years old. I could probably do with replacing them too, especially with the soon-to-be wife complaining they're too big.

So does anyone have any advice? I'm pretty happy with the sound from this setup. The amp however has started making a lot of random clicking noises, which I believe may be down to some wear on the soldering, or the relays going.

The cost 10 years ago was around £300 for the amp and £300 for the speakers. If I spent around the same again would I get a superior sound?

If it makes any difference, I'm mainly listening to lossless format files via a Sonos ZP90, and also have the TV & DVD going through it.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

matthewpiano

Plenty of great amps at that price point, particularly the Marantz PM6004, Yamaha A-S500, and Rotel RA-04SE. The NAD C326BEE is also worth a listen. The TA-FB940R was a great amp but I think you'll see an improvement with any of the above.

Speakers? Well your B&Ws are still pretty good. Stretching to a pair of B&W 685s, MA RX1 or some KEF Q300s would give you a good upgrade but I'd be careful about spending much less. Why not change the amp first and see how you get on?

If you do want some smaller speakers try the KEF Q100 or something like the excellent Dali Lektor 2 - very compact but superb sounding, though in a different way to your B&Ws.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply. I just saw the PM6004 is out this afternoon, but I can't find any reviews of it. Sounds promising with the separated pre & power components though. Are you pretty happy with your PM6003?

uncleringo said:
Hi guys

After 10 years I'm sorry to say my amp needs replacing. It's powering a pair of B&W DM602 S2s which are also 10 years old. I could probably do with replacing them too, especially with the soon-to-be wife complaining they're too big.

So does anyone have any advice? I'm pretty happy with the sound from this setup. The amp however has started making a lot of random clicking noises, which I believe may be down to some wear on the soldering, or the relays going.

The cost 10 years ago was around £300 for the amp and £300 for the speakers. If I spent around the same again would I get a superior sound?

If it makes any difference, I'm mainly listening to lossless format files via a Sonos ZP90, and also have the TV & DVD going through it.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Hi Rich

I know the 940 and 602's well as i used to deal with/sell these components. The 940 is still a good amplifier and i'll recommend that you should either get it repaired or look at the following amplifiers to partner your 602's.

Rotel's RA-1062 and the NAD C370 are worth serious consideration. Both amplifiers are generally priced on the used market around £300.

Btw, your speakers are also still good enough. To better the 602's by quite a margin i would say you need to look at speakers such as Dynaudio's DM 2/7's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

matthewpiano

uncleringo said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I just saw the PM6004 is out this afternoon, but I can't find any reviews of it. Sounds promising with the separated pre & power components though. Are you pretty happy with your PM6003?

Yes, I love the PM6003 although I'm also a big fan of the Yamaha A-S500, which has a slightly more insightful but silky sound than the Marantz. Both superb and well worth an audition. I haven't heard the PM6004 yet, but based on the 6003 I think it should be well worth an audition. There is a review in the current issue of What Hi-Fi.

It is, as Rick points out, also worth considering getting the Sony repaired, depending on the cost. I also used to deal with them when I worked in the trade, and it was a talented amp. If it is just solder or something then it shouldn't be too expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts