Sony STR-DG820 vs Yamaha DSP-AX763

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently trying to decide between these two. I will be partnering them with Q-Acoustics QAV speaker package. I have a panasonic th-37PX80. My sources are a V+ box and a PS3 for gaming and blu rays.

Would I really benefit from having the Yamaha?

Another concern is that in future if/when a decent blu ray recorder comes out the Yamaha is limited to 2 HDMIs. Would you lose any picture quality using the components for the V+?

A

Anonymous

Have you chosen one?

I am having the same dilema, really cant decide between the two

I like the idea of the Yam as it has the Bi-Amp option but the Sony has the extra HDMI which may come in handy in the future

I have also read that a few people have had faults with the Sony ( a buzzing through each channel )

A

Anonymous

I have the sony and am very happy with it.

I'm running it with a ps3 for blu ray, xbox elite with HD DVD add on, upscaling Sony HDD DVD and a 5.1 Kef KHT1005 speaker setup.

The amazon review about the buzzing has been largely discredited as it referred to the Sky audio problem which has been rectified in the most recent versions of the reciever.

I chose the sony based on price (got it for £250) and as it had 4 HDMI ins and my Sony LCD only has a single HDMI (curse of the early adopter).

Been very satisfied with performance although not had much chance to let rip at higher volumes out of consideration for the neighbours.

Heard good things about the Yamaha and am under no illusions that the Sony's the best receiver out there but the price, spec and connectivity made it the one for me.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
RandomTarget:
I have the sony and am very happy with it.

I'm running it with a ps3 for blu ray, xbox elite with HD DVD add on, upscaling Sony HDD DVD and a 5.1 Kef KHT1005 speaker setup.

The amazon review about the buzzing has been largely discredited as it referred to the Sky audio problem which has been rectified in the most recent versions of the reciever.

I chose the sony based on price (got it for £250) and as it had 4 HDMI ins and my Sony LCD only has a single HDMI (curse of the early adopter).

Been very satisfied with performance although not had much chance to let rip at higher volumes out of consideration for the neighbours.

Heard good things about the Yamaha and am under no illusions that the Sony's the best receiver out there but the price, spec and connectivity made it the one for me.

Thats great that your happy with it because at the end of the day you are the most important person you have to please. You have done your homework on items in your price range and come to a conclusion based on price, spec and connectivity and gone for it. Enjoy.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chris1975:I'm currently trying to decide between these two. I will be partnering them with Q-Acoustics QAV speaker package. I have a panasonic th-37PX80. My sources are a V+ box and a PS3 for gaming and blu rays.

Would I really benefit from having the Yamaha? The Yamaha, as far as surround sound is concerned, produces a far bigger soundstage than any amplifier in it's price range, giving a more believable and enjoyable experience, so you can imagine how it compares to a cheaper amp. Quality-wise, you're comparing what is a £300 amplifier to what was originally a £600 one. With less than £100 between the price of the two at the moment, the decision should be no contest :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts