SONY STR-DA1200ES: best way to get decoded SKY signal in ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My SKY cable is CO-AX and carries a DECODED signal into my office.

I'm about to ake delivery of the above Sony A/V unit.

Not having any instructions, I'm not sure what's available by way of inputs (I bought it for my PS3 & HD projector), so could someone advise what's the best way to get this co-ax into the Sony ?

eg. I assume I can't just plug the CO-AX in, can I ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Do you mean there's a Sky box somewhere else in the building which feeds a range of channels in analogue form to a standard aerial cable to plug into a TV in your office? The motorsport and football mags here in the office have a similar set-up, where they can just tune into selected Sky channels with a normal analogue TV.

Or do you have a Sky box in your office to select channels?

If the former, it'll be a matter of taking a feed from the audio outs or headphone socket on the TV into an analogue input on the Sony. If the latter, then it'll again be an analogue connection unless you have a Sky+ or Sky HD box, in which case you can use optical digital to give stereo and surround, or in the case of the HD box HDMI for stereo only.

A

Anonymous

Connect your RF lead (coaxial cable) into a TV in your office, so the television can decode the signal. Then, send audio leads from the TV into your TV receiver. Most likely this will be via standard phono-to-phono analogue cables - hopefully, if your TV is of a reasonable age, it'll have suitable outputs fitted, but if not, you might have to resort to a Scart-to-phono cable.

If you don't have a TV in your office, you'll need something else with a TV tuner to receive the signal from your Sky box. A VHS deck or DVD recorder would work.

The core point is that, as you suggest, you can't just plug the Sky cable straight into your new Sony receiver.

A

Anonymous

I'm trying to get SKY (SD) to ultimately display on my HD projector.

The RF lead arriving in the office carries decoded SKY from my SKY digi box in the living room.

So you're saying I need some kind of tuner box to first plug the RF lead into? Then output that into the Sony A/V amp?

Would a freeview box do the trick ?

A

Anonymous

Sadly, no. You need, odd as it might sound, something with an analogue tuner. The digital decoding element has already been dealt with, by your Sky box: now you need something that can recognise an RF feed correctly. That means a VCR, or for better quality, a DVD deck, ideally one with an HDMI output. A media centre PC, so long as it has the correct tuners onboard, would also do the trick.

A

Anonymous

How's about I ditch the RF lead and get a new lead made up from the SCART VCR output on my Sky Digi box. That would go straight into the Sony wouldn't it ?

eg. Sky digi box SCART VCR output > SCART Lead > Sony A/V Amp > HDMI > Projector

If I did this is there any limitation on cable length - in this case 10m

A

Anonymous

If you are using a Sky HD box you could connect via component as this signal can be transmitted over quite a distance, you would also need rca leads to transfer the audio. It should give great picture and sound, hope this helps

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I'm only using regular SKY

I'm simply looking for the best way to get the decoded signal from my Sky box to the projector in my office.

I'm not sure if I should use the SCART / OUT on the Sky box or the RF / OUT ?

Also, what is the RF / IN used for on the Sony STR-DA1200ES A/V amp ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts