Advise to a dinasore . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I admit to not moving with the times, computers frighten me . . . however, I'm being forced into the modern world of digital music, one takes delivery of a brand new car in the next few weeks.

Its like 'sitting in a computerised cockpit' . . . :O Everything is controlled from the touch screens on the dashboard, gizmos like stop/start engine, electronic auto gearbox, light and windscreen wipers that turn on automatically, in my humble opinion a nest of vipers, but I aint paying for it when it goes wrong! . . . My real concern is the fully digital DAB radio, USB and Blue tooth music.

I dont have a modern telephone with music on it . . . so one presumes I need a memory stick to down load music from my computer and rip CD's to, to plug into the USB port?

Thats about as much as I know, any advise, what to do, best way and pitfalls to avoid. I dont use CD music much in my present car, listening most of the time to radios, 3, 4 and FM Radio.

So any advise? CJSF

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
I admit to not moving with the times, computers frighten me . . . however, I'm being forced into the modern world of digital music, one takes delivery of a brand new car in the next few weeks. Its like 'sitting in a computerised cockpit' . . . :O Everything is controlled from the touch screens on the dashboard, gizmos like stop/start engine, electronic auto gearbox, light and windscreen wipers that turn on automatically, in my humble opinion a nest of vipers, but I aint paying for it when it goes wrong! . . . My real concern is the fully digital DAB radio, USB and Blue tooth music. I dont have a modern telephone with music on it . . . so one presumes I need a memory stick to down load music from my computer and rip CD's to, to plug into the USB port? Thats about as much as I know, any advise, what to do, best way and pitfalls to avoid. I dont use CD music much in my present car, listening most of the time to radios, 3, 4 and FM Radio. So any advise? CJSF

CJ,

I you could post the car make and model and which option the radio is, I could have a stab at helping.

Feel free to ignore, but at the risk of being picky, you might want to edit the title to "Advice to a dinosaur"

Andy.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I quite like the idea of a dinasore - probably that one in the Flintstones that was given a hard time ferrying them around.... tyrannosorearse wrecks?

Does your new car not have a CD player, CJ? Most do even if you can also plug in your iThing, or a flash drive of some type. But I'm like you and can't really be bothered. Dab is good in our new Qashqai and I still listen to the radio most, followed by the odd CD. I do have an old iPod connected by USB but it doesn't get much use, though this car displays the album covers, unlike my previous Merc which just showed a truncated menu.

good luck!

CJSF said:
I admit to not moving with the times, computers frighten me . . . however, I'm being forced into the modern world of digital music, one takes delivery of a brand new car in the next few weeks.

Its like 'sitting in a computerised cockpit' . . . :O Everything is controlled from the touch screens on the dashboard, gizmos like stop/start engine, electronic auto gearbox, light and windscreen wipers that turn on automatically, in my humble opinion a nest of vipers, but I aint paying for it when it goes wrong! . . . My real concern is the fully digital DAB radio, USB and Blue tooth music.

I dont have a modern telephone with music on it . . . so one presumes I need a memory stick to down load music from my computer and rip CD's to, to plug into the USB port?

Thats about as much as I know, any advise, what to do, best way and pitfalls to avoid. I dont use CD music much in my present car, listening most of the time to radios, 3, 4 and FM Radio.

So any advise? CJSF

Can't help you on this one as I have a very basic FM/DAB/CD player.

If you get stuck ask the dealer, they'll know and will guide you.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes Chebby, it does have FM as well, and lots of other things I spied as the menue rolled over, but as I say, for some one who knows nothing about these new fangled digital ways of doing things, it is very intimidating. I've read the brochoure, very uninformative to the uninitiated in the world of 'digititus'*nea*

The car is a: Citron Grand C4 Picasso Estate 1.6 e-HDi 115 Airdream VTR+ 5dr ETg6+ (in Teles Blue, metalic ice blue in my world*smile*). . . Sorry for that mouthfull, but thats how the factory order describes it, the 'e-' and two '+' are significant? *scratch_one-s_head*

Apparently Citrone have decided this year, the no-one will be using CD's any more, hence no player in new models?

For those that take pleasure in picking on my spelling. I am dyslexic, dyslexia is a register disability, therefor it is considered roude at the very least to take the pi**!!! . . . for those that cant work that one out, are of a delicate disposition and offended, you do not extract the water . . .

By the way not keen on this new format either, but then I dont like change?

CJSF

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If you like the 9:00 / 11:00 / 18:30 slots on R4 CJSF then you can download them as podcasts onto a pod and listen to them while driving . eg: You can get every IOT episode, a billion hours of Melvin Bragg sorted my subject and listen while driving . You can also down load podcasts on all kinds of subjects , if you like History try Mike Duncans "History of Rome" . But there is alot out there to enjoy.

Exactly what device you want to buy depends on your home system , if anything is connected to the web ,hardwired or wifi there is proberly a nice app for it , if you like to read then a pad can be used as a reader , remote control and a playback system in the car and at home.

James

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
See James, you are talking a foren language to me, ipods, IOT, apps, I know of them all but have no understanding how they work. I'm not thick, I can and will learn but it has to be in an ABC fashon, at 67 years, its hard work to think young, plus being dyslexic, I have to listen, sort of understand, turn things round and do it my way. Most people dont understand my need to put things in an order that I can understand because I dont think normaly . . .

I have at home a PC, on line with Virgin hard wired. The computer feeds via interconect wire to my valve amplifier, I listen to Spotify and radio, the remainder of my music is from vinyl and CD's. I did a few CDs a few years back, nothing since, so down loading and transfering music is a mystery as I beleive the medium has moved on?

All most people want to do is make fun of my misspelling*crazy* . . . no great problem I will get by in my own way as I have always done, suprising what a little sidways thinking can do?

CJSF

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have not got a fancy car but I would have thought ripping cds and then copying them onto a usb stick is the way to go. Hope it works bettter than this forum site.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
All most people want to do is make fun of my misspelling*crazy* . . . no great problem I will get by in my own way as I have always done, suprising what a little sidways thinking can do?

CJ, give it a rest, ONE person picked up on your spelling and they spelled it wrong themselves, the rest of us were laughing at HIM, not you!

You have a real victim complex, has anyone told you that? Your shoulders have got more chips on them than a fish supper, which is a shame, you have some very interesting things to say (unlike myself) but the wading through the constant self-pitying bollocks really gets in the way of it...

Just try to realise, nobody here is out to get you, nobody is interested in beating you down. To be honest, I doubt anyone cares enough to bother with the sort of vendetta you seem to think is going on. Just talk about your system, that's what we're all interested in.

The_Lhc said:
CJSF said:

...self-pitying bollocks really gets in the way of it...

See the new filter isn't working.

As hardly anyone here owns his make of car, I told CJ to ask the dealer to help but he never replies to my comments.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep BigH, thats the conclusion I'm coming to . . . its so long since I did anything like that, all a bit vague in my mind, but I thnk I will work it out . . . if I have to*scratch_one-s_head* A bit like this new site, terible aint it.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I they leave my spelling alone and I wont have need to coment will I*dirol* The new 'improved?' site format dont seem to have a spell checker either?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You dont deserve a reply with those sort of coments 'your plasticness'*dirol* However as you feel you do; you are right and the dealer will tell me to read the owners hand book. But . . . the digital world seems to assume we all know the basics, thats what I was asking about, not the car, but the 'getting music from CD/PC on to a suitable meduim'.

I presume I have the option of getting a new modern phone, an arm and a leg to buy*sad* . . . paying my £10pm to Spotify then pluging this into the car hifi system . . . Perhaps cheaper to get a couple of memory sticks and rip my existing CD's? How big should the memory sticks be? Remembering how to rip a CD, its been years since I tried?

CJSF

CJSF said:
You dont deserve a reply with those sort of coments 'your plasticness'*dirol* However as you feel you do; you are right and the dealer will tell me to read the owners hand book. But . . . the digital world seems to assume we all know the basics, thats what I was asking about, not the car, but the 'getting music from CD/PC on to a suitable meduim'.

What sort of comments? You have far too many hang-ups, CJ. I've never been anything other than polite, all the while you seem to target me for some reason. It's true, I don't share your zeal for TT upgrades, but hey, we all like different things.

Back to the in-car sound system, I only have an entry-level Bose system and it has the Bluetooth s###e, which never gets used. The only thing, apart from CD and radio, that is used is my daughter uses the MP3 socket on the facia.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure a wet Wednesday afternoon on the driveway spent playing with all the functions and menus will get you what you need. Program your fave BBC stations into some presets.

We all basically learn by playing. You won't break anything. (Not like the risks with setting up a new cartridge for a first-timer.)

Unlike an expensive cartridge, these digital things always have a 'return to factory default settings' to get you out of a complete ba##s up :)

Just don't try and set it all up whilst driving!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
I presume I have the option of getting a new modern phone, an arm and a leg to buy*sad* . . . paying my £10pm to Spotify then pluging this into the car hifi system . . .

Yes, Spotify Premium gives you the option to store files offline on a mobile device, so you'd tell Spotify to download whatever tracks you want to listen to before you leave and then they're available to be played whether or not you've got a data connection available or not.

Perhaps cheaper to get a couple of memory sticks and rip my existing CD's? How big should the memory sticks be? Remembering how to rip a CD, its been years since I tried?

Stick the CD in your computer and see what options it gives you, if you've still got the software installed you used previously it should pop up with an option to rip the CD. Probably best sticking to mp3 for the car, they don't often support some of the more esoteric formats.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The best and simple way to do what you need is to instal itunes in your PC, it's free and rip the CD's into mp3 320kbs, most of radio cars are very limited in the audio codecs, and don't read flac or other lossless formats.

The storage capacity from the pen will depend on how much music you want to fit in it.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks chaps, simple basic stuff, suits me, it never ocoured to me about the format? . . . Pressing the wrong button not a desaster. I get a bit impatient, its not like setting up a cartridge, you can see it and move it, digital does not have the tactile element.

Making sence, frankly I'd rather stay with what I have. However, Hazel and I are both finding getting about more dificult these days, she needs the wheel chair/electric scooter, for outside the house, I too have a scooter. I cant depress the clutch properly in sustained stop/go trafic any more? So its a larg'ish automatic via 'Motability', great scheem, I only discovered last week that Motability is a non profit making charity, with, I'm told, the Queen as its paitron?

This leg problem is becoming an issue with constant getting up and down for vinyl, especialy at night when I'm tierd, we have our late Horlicks hour, more time these days spent listening to CD's, CDP and many CD's are right by my seat, as is the amplifier. More digital adjustment to come, I will have to move the computer over to my seating position for Spotify access?

Thanks once again for the replies, CJSF

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi CJSF ,

LOL , I'm 45 and most of the people I work with think I was born in black and white
regular_smile.gif
. By IOT I meant "In Our Time" , you mentioned R4 so I figured you liked that kinda thing .

If as mentioned you download itunes you can copy your cd's in apple lossless onto your PC then copy them to a memory stick , or to an idevice , what PC do you have ?

You mentioned in a later post getting up and down is becoming an issue , you can , if you buy a pod, pad or phone you can get a remote app (lication) that will control itunes from your seat on a nice screen that mimics the PC screen .

A phone would be about 22-25 a month but spotify will come free so you could call that 12 -15 quid , a smart phone does offer some other advantages , search a local buisness and see where it is , opening times and tap the phone number to call them . An ipad mini is about £240 ( 7.9" screen I think } an ipad £400 ( 9.7" screen ) Spotify would be free on these aswell. I think you need to decide what you want in the near future as a memory stick only cost buttons .

Good Luck

James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts