Sony KDL40W5810 review

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
When will the new Sony KDL40W5810 (with integrated FreeSat) be reveiwed? I'd like to know if Sony have sorted their back-light bleed issue for this set, before I buy.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare, Can you confirm this yet? I've found a good deal on this unit and I'm strongly considering buying one.

I can't find any reviews online that aren't just regurgiations of the spec sheet!

Cheers,

Neil.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yes, it's a First Test in the January 2010 issue, on sale this Friday. And we'll be running a video review here on whathifi.com shortly.

A

Anonymous

Excellent, thanks Andy - I hope they don't run out of stock before then!

A

Anonymous

I'm looking at buying one myself too, currently waiting on the review with tender hooks! Only wish I caught Sony's amazing free blu-ray/discs/install/5yr warranty deal only a few weeks ago...

A

Anonymous

id say if you wait you might find that deal on offer again before xmas , its very competative out there ...

A

Anonymous

I actually got this TV from Richer Sounds. Having also had a 32 V5500 and we know that was a 'formidable flag' in the sand I expected no less from the W5810 40 inch! I'll let What HI FI come up with the superlatives.....I like to know what they think.

Good news:-

I am a geek so I tell you striaght...its AWESOME.

Its so bright that I have to have the backlight set to min.Calibrated it to cinema mode as 'standard'. The 100k contrast range really makes a difference and shows smooth gradation of tones.Skin tones look so real it is just incredible but I am feeding it a 2mb perfect digital image of my kiddie as I am keen at Photographer.

Some lag with games compared to my V series in game mode.

100% pixel effective. I had white or black on the screen and examined every inch....

Bad news.....

I did notice backlight bleed from the top two corners but its nothing to warrant an exchange.I can over look it.I have had it for 4 days so it may settle down. I did think as it is a Sept model it would have 100% lighting unifomity.

I hope this doesn't get a star deducted from What Hi Fi?? .

I have not watched BLU ray in it yet as I am taking my time in discovering its virtues. Not viewed Freesat yet on it. No dish

I am very happy with this TV. OK the BL bleed is there but its minor.Who needs a Sony Z5810??? The W are just as good as the eye can see I say

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:id say if you wait you might find that deal on offer again before xmas , its very competative out there ...

Fingers crossed! Whichever way, I will be buying before the VAT goes back to 17.5% in January.

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:Yes, it's a First Test in the January 2010 issue, on sale this Friday. And we'll be running a video review here on whathifi.com shortly.

Just watched it, great review! Looks like I'll be several hundred pounds lighter by the year's out!

A

Anonymous

jackanory:

maxflinn:id say if you wait you might find that deal on offer again before xmas , its very competative out there ...

Fingers crossed! Whichever way, I will be buying before the VAT goes back to 17.5% in January.

Where's your sense of community spirit?
emotion-24.gif
emotion-48.gif
The government is going to need every last bit of tax it can raise if it is to get us out of the mess we're in and you're going to make an early purchase to avoid that 2.5% tax.

And then people have a go at bankers and the city for wanting to avoid higher taxes.
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I saw the w5810 in my local sony centre about a month ago and it was mightily impressive. Couldn't see any bleed, but then again it was broad daylight and the store was brightly lit so probably not the best conditions for spotting it. Nevertheless, a very nice tv at a very reasonable price.

A

Anonymous

***** 5 star conferred from what HI FI video review.

Sony made this TV so good that there is subtle performance gap with the Z series.Unlike the Philips 7xxx and 9xxx series where there are visual differences or the Samsung 7 and 8 series where the lattter have 'mega contrast'

It's not best TV but one to be excited about and won't cost the earth to own. This set will dig sony out of the doldrums, as the Canon A1 35mm SLR did for Canon in the late 80s. That wasn't the best camera either.

If we had a vote on the popular TV Sony will win the poll

I like the Samsung 7 series but an expert told me that edge lit LEDs cannot dim the screen locally but globally and cannot differential the dark and light scenes [yet] relying on APL algorithems to apply the dimming routine and as for the Sharp LED set the whole panel does not local dim at all?? I ruled that set out in my shopping list.

You would have pay more for Sony's RGB LED that can do localised dimming. I think.But then the Pioneer K goes even blacker? So I say current LED is still falling short???

A

Anonymous

Looks like my local Sony Centre will be getting a call today then!

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I put a deposit down today over the phone, oddly enough to a lad called Matthew!

I called Richer too, but they didn't seem interested in matching / beating the price, despite what their website would have you believe.

Picking it up tomorrow :)

A

Anonymous

hmtb:jackanory:

Where's your sense of community spirit?
emotion-24.gif
emotion-48.gif
The government is going to need every last bit of tax it can raise if it is to get us out of the mess we're in and you're going to make an early purchase to avoid that 2.5% tax.

And then people have a go at bankers and the city for wanting to avoid higher taxes.
emotion-4.gif

That's my Scrooge spirit kicking in. It is Christmas after all! Plus, I've worked myself up about it, I need a new gadget NOW!
emotion-14.gif
haha!

A

Anonymous

Update:Having posted earlier on my recent 40 inch W5810 purchase that I had noticed that there was some top corner backlit bleed, I can report that it seem to have dissappated. So I think the settling down effects have done wonders.I am still monitoring it.

Uniformity of this screen is impressive now.

I still have to pinch my self on how great the photo realistic images from my Canon EOS looks when streamed across to my Sony. I do a lot of portraits in studio type lighting and the images look as real as it can from a 1080p TV. The contrast is just amazing. Sony cliams 100,000k and this rivals the human eye.The images on a black background pop up like its 3D but without any artificialness to it.

I can't fault it.And I am been critical.

Its the perfect imaging tool for digital photographers.On this evaluation it is 10/10 and it didn't cost £1200.

I have not watched a BR disk on it yet.

A

Anonymous

Ultraslim have you checked out a SD source on this TV - it looked a bit grainy/snowy when I saw it yesterday

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Wovian:Ultraslim have you checked out a SD source on this TV - it looked a bit grainy/snowy when I saw it yesterday

The tv needs several weeks to 'bed in'. Trust me when I say it upscales VERY fine after this time (Assuming it has the same scaler as a W5500 which its supposed to)

A

Anonymous

sounds like this tv is a right hit,

hope when my z5800 comes its going to be better,

any thoughts

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:

Wovian:Ultraslim have you checked out a SD source on this TV - it looked a bit grainy/snowy when I saw it yesterday

The tv needs several weeks to 'bed in'. Trust me when I say it upscales VERY fine after this time (Assuming it has the same scaler as a W5500 which its supposed to)

I use my 32 inch 'beded in' for SD stuff. My 40 inch for the HD viewing stuff, so not put it through the motions yet. I am taking my time.

A

Anonymous

darren hob:

any thoughts

Z5800, then you get a 10 bit panel, backit remote and souped up CCFL lighting giving you more precise colours. I didn't want to spend the extra £400 though for this A top set. You also get the 200hz motion thingie.

D

Deleted member 2457

Ultraslim:darren hob:

any thoughts

Z5800, then you get a 10 bit panel, backit remote and souped up CCFL lighting giving you more precise colours. I didn't want to spend the extra £400 though for this A top set. You also get the 200hz motion thingie.

Does anyone think with the above two sony tvs I would get a better picture than my philips 32 inch please see signature for the exact coding? Bare in mind this is a "high end" philips lcd? Thanks

TRENDING THREADS