Sony KDL- 40Z5500 Backlight Bleed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
An independent retailer has kindly let me have a Sony KDL- 40Z5500 on approval, because I wanted to check for any backlight bleed.

I cannot see any backlight bleed when viewing during day light hours. The only time when there is some slight cloud effect, which I assume is caused by backlight bleed, is after dark when the curtains are drawn closed and when the rooms lights are turned off, not the way I watch TV, otherwise the screen looks a uniform black.

Should one expect there to be no evidence of bleeding whatsoever? I would appreciate any comments and perhaps What Hi FI would like to comment.

Finally, what is the best way to test for back light bleed?

A

Anonymous

backlight bleed isnt a disease , if you dont see it , and you are happy with the tv then buy it , if its not a problem for you now its unlikely to become a problem ...

A

Anonymous

No, to me any backlight bleed is a fault, you are paying a lot of money for something which has a flawed picture, therefore either choose a different LCD set or if you want to completely avoid this hazard, get a plasma.

A

Anonymous

i agree its a fault , but my point is , if you cant see it , if it isnt visible to the person watching the tv , then whats the problem ?? if you like the tv and see no bleed why not buy the thing ??

A

Anonymous

Thanks Maxflinn and Newbie for your replies.Although they are opposing views, you both make valid points. I still hope for a reply from What Hi FI perhaps giving some indication as to how they test for backlight bleed. Is the test done in a completely black out room with out any ambient light or is there some ambient light? The level of light could make a big difference to the test result.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We have adjustable lighting in our test rooms so we can - and do - review TVs at a range of light levels, from bright room to pitch black and several points in between.

The uneven backlight on the Sony 40Z5500 we tested was even noticeable with the lights on - and not just with a blank screen, either; it intruded into any dark scene. And remember, we've got another TV alongside it for direct comparison, playing the same scene from the same source - so we know it's the screen at fault, not the player or programme/movie.

However, we've just had the 46Z5500 in (review to follow shortly) and that has no backlight bleed issues - it's the inconsistency that's so frustrating.

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

We have adjustable lighting in our test rooms so we can - and do - review TVs at a range of light levels, from bright room to pitch black and several points in between.

The uneven backlight on the Sony 40Z5500 we tested was even noticeable with the lights on - and not just with a blank screen, either; it intruded into any dark scene. And remember, we've got another TV alongside it for direct comparison, playing the same scene from the same source - so we know it's the screen at fault, not the player or programme/movie.

However, we've just had the 46Z5500 in (review to follow shortly) and that has no backlight bleed issues - it's the inconsistency that's so frustrating.

Just to clarify - is this a problem with all Sony TVs in a given range, or just with individual TVs regardless of screen size?

A

Anonymous

Well the OP said it was noticeable with the curtains drawn in a dark room and that to me is unacceptable, don't simply accept it because that's the only time it's noticeable, it's impinging on your viewing.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Clare and all others for your input. I shall have a word with my retailer later to day and see what transpires. I don't know whether I have the set I saw,and tested, on display in the shop or if it was one from stock. I did not detect any backlight bleed but there again this might have been because there was too much the ambient light. I will keep you posted.

A

Anonymous

Regarding this Backlighting issue evident in some Sony LCD TV's - is this a problem that is noticable straight away out of the box, or does the problem develop / get worse over time? I want to buy a Z5500 the wkend and I'm wondering if I can test the set that I buy as soon as I take it out of the box?

A

Anonymous

Hello kirbs~85. If you see backlight bleed during day light hours with out darkening the room then the bleed it is extreemly bad. I had a second set delivered this morning just after 9.0am. I closed the curtains to reduce the light in the lounge, it remained partly lit. After selecting AV3, which was not in use, I could not see any backlight bleed.I will be doing another test later tonight, at about 11.0pm., with closed curtains and the lounge lights turned off . Any bleed will be clearly evident. I have both sets at home at the moment and will be keeping the best out of the two. The amount of the bleed on the first set is not so bad that it will spoil my viewing as I said in my original post. I am told that any bleed will not get worse over time.

A

Anonymous

Hi there Clare,

Dispite the problems with these Sony TVs I would still like to buy a 40Z5500 but this backlighting problem does bother me.

However I see you have just said you think it is to do with the "individual TVs" rather the the make or model.

My question is this:

How long would it be before I noticed the back lighting problem and if I was lucky enough to get or trial a TV with non of the above issues could it still develop later after my "returns guarantee" expires or would I more then likely get away with it for the life of the TV?

I spoke to a Sony Centre retailer and I noticed they seem to completely ignore/dismiss this issue as if it's not even real.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
All the Sony sets we've seen with backlighting problems have demonstrated those flaws from the start, though some people have reported the clouding getting worse over time (though, again, it was there in some degree from the beginning).

I'd recommend getting a set, setting it up (all LCDs typically have a dominating backlight as standard, to suit them being shown off in store; it needs dialling down to look normal in home environment) and then watching it in all the conditions you'd watch TV (day and night).

If you're happy with the set, keep it, and delight in the many, many things these Sony Bravia sets do to a class-leading standard.

If you need help setting up the TV, we've got a guide to using the THX Optimiser disc in our new issue, out tomorrow. If you buy it in Tesco, you even get a pair of THX glasses to help set-up even further.

A

Anonymous

I've just got a samy ue40b7000 waiting to go back (due to different fault) but bleed on this was very bad (backlight set to 2 to get it barely visible). I appreciate Clares comments about turning it down but you do lose the wow factor you got in the store.

I understand that Sony and the likes have "acceptable" standards of backlight bleed. Which suggest that really LCD/LED (with no local dimming) TV tech is fundamentally floored.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply Clare,

I will give it a try (fingers crossed). I'm going to wait for pay day, find a retailer willing to accept replacing the TV (need be) and post my experience, I must admit all the TVs I have seen on display do look fine but they are always well lit and bright so maybe it just doesnt show.

Got my eyes out for next issue too, bet thats a sexy pair of glasses!

A

Anonymous

A flag ship TV.......and has these uncertainty. I couln't spent 1400 quid with any doubts
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

Finally bought my TV, I went with the Sony KDL-40Z5800 for the "Freesat" as it is identical to the 40Z5500 in everyother way.

As for the backlight issue...

During the first 5 minutes of setup there was some, I was worried but by the end it just melted away I was left with NONE.

It's PERFECT...

Ok if I was to be mega picky there may be a 1cm triangle of grey in the far corners of the screen but I've never seen a TV that doesn't have that and you'd have to be a complete freak to complain about it.

Got it from "digitaldirect", £1099 and payed for it with creditcard just incase but there was no need I've had it over a week now and there are no problems.

Buy it, it's worth every penny!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

I have the 40W5500 tv and have to say i'm not entirely happy with mine and this is the second tv i have had of this model. Like Matthew i have a 1cm triangle of grey backlight bleed in the top corners of the screen but it dosen't effect my enjoyment of the screen but more worryingly it has started to show another flaw with motion. Whenever there is fast motion (on ANY source) i get a rather strange line (i don't know what else to call it as it's a bit strange) appear towards the left centre of the screen, it seems that along this 'line' that the image blurrs and the contrast/ brightness levels are different. It's almost as if the screen itself is warped but it's undetectable when motion is slight or there is no motion atall....very strange!

Anyone got any ideas what may be wrong and if i should be looking for a repair/exchange??

Many thanks!

A

Anonymous

Oldboy:

Anyone got any ideas what may be wrong and if i should be looking for a repair/exchange??

I would, you have a very different model to me but that sounds really poor, mines crystal clear and I would think yours should be too.

Is that just TV signal or is it the same for HDMI and BD signals aswell?

If yes then I'd start that process of repair/exchange.

A

Anonymous

my 40w5810 has bleed or clouding i would call it as it is very faint well on backlight 3 setting anyway in the top 2 corners but more than 1cm more like 5 but i only really seen it when the room is dark or near dark and the screen is black like with credits or real dark scenes i had 2 40w5500 before this and they had terrible bleed or clouding really went into the screem if my tv now gets like that i will be after a repair or replacment that is for sure!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts