Sony STR-DN1080 Speaker Configuration

KevinM

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
Hello,

My two front speakers are Monitor Audio Radius 90 and my subwoofer is a Monitor Audio Radius 380. There is also a Radius 200 centre speaker as part of the system.

They are connected to a Sony STR-DN1080 AV Receiver.

When I play music from my iPhone (Apple Lossless) through the Receiver, ideally I would like to use the two front speakers and the subwoofer. However only the two front speakers produce sound and as expected the base is not very good.

I have had a good look at the DN180 Manual and it clearly says(!) that when either "2ch Stereo" and "Direct (Analog Input)" are selected there is no output to the subwoofer.

Has anyone figured out a way to overcome this so that the subwoofer is activated (without any consequences) when either "2ch Stereo" and "Direct (Analog Input)" are selected?

Thanks.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Nope it’s how the amp wired to work. Some subs can be connected to the speaker terminals, this is know as high level connectivity. But not all amps like this especially some class d designs.

you best bet is to another amp that will allow subwoofer use

or shove it into 5.1 mode or all channel stereo

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

KevinM

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
Nope it’s how the amp wired to work. Some subs can be connected to the speaker terminals, this is know as high level connectivity. But not all amps like this especially some class d designs.

you best bet is to another amp that will allow subwoofer use

or shove it into 5.1 mode or all channel stereo

Thanks for the response.

Things have moved on.

Someone I know is to buy my Radius speakers.

In their place I have a brand new set of 6G Silver 200's in Oak on their way along with a 6G Silver C150.

That should sort out the 'lack of base when listening in stereo' issue.

Just leaves me to identify a suitable Subwoofer, after which I'll be in a better situation overall with a solution that should last for a few years.

Thanks for the response.

Things have moved on.

In their place I have a brand new set of 6G Silver 200's in Oak on their way along with a 6G Silver C150.

Just leaves me to identify a suitable Subwoofer, after which I'll be in a better situation overall with a solution that should last for a few years.
let's hope they are an improvement

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the response.

Things have moved on.

Velodyne/svs is where I’d start my search for a subwoofer.

sounds like a nice system hope you enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts