Sony DAV-S880 died

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Evening all,

We have a set up from the pages of history from about 8 years ago. It consists of a Sony TV plasma 42" (not sure on model number), Sony DAV-S880 and 5.1 speakers

Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-DVD-CD-SACD-Cinema-Amp-DAV-S880-Surround-600W-VGC-/190496347937?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_HomeCinemaSystems&hash=item2c5a779721#ht_1295wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-DAV-S880-/230579613020?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayers_Recorders&hash=item35af9dad5c#ht_608wt_1139

Basically the amp/DVD player is dead which means we currently have no surround sound. So I am looking for a new amp, however the speaker cables have a specific connector on them that new amps dont seem to have? are there any new amps that have the Sony connectors?

We are keen to keep the speaker cables because theyre buried under the carpet however there isnt much slack on them for cutting and re fitting different connections?

Cheers

Ben

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Most AV amps will have binding posts for the speaker cables. So just cut off the connectors strip some insulation off and attatch them to the binding posts.

A

Anonymous

Cheers mate thats that part sorted. My next issue is that I cant find another AV Receiver thats as slim as the DAV-S880 is. My TV stand was built around the current system, width isnt an issue but height is, are there any AV Receiver that arent very tall?

Im off to measure the gap just to see how tall it is. The height of the gap is only 120mm from top to bottom because the DAV-S880 isnt very deep, am I likely to get something this thin again?

A

Anonymous

Although they fit, worth to check out the possible ventilation issue.

A

Anonymous

It's also worth noting that your sub is passive and wouldn't work with the marantz. Another thing is that the speakers you have were specifically designed for that sony amp/dvd player, meaning that the subwoofer handles a huge amount of the sound and the speakers handle just the high frequencies.

The first link you attached from ebay seems to be a pretty good deal. It's a heck of alot cheaper than paying for a new amp, dvd player and subwoofer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts