Sony Bravia KDL-52HX903 Vs. Panasonic Viera TX-P50VT20B

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Howdy to all [:D]

It's been a while since i last responded or posted a new post.

Okay, i'm looking to either get the above aforesaid HDTV set for the living room, which will purely and solely used for Blu-Ray movies,Sky HD and that's it.

To those that already own the KDL-52HX903, have you encountered any problems more over than the KDL-46HX903? Does the KDL-52HX903 have 'Full Array LED Back-light' like it's younger brother 46" variant. However, i've also read the 'review' on this website for the TX-P50VT20, but no 'Opinions' left? [:|] As also to ask is there difference between the TX-P50VT20 and TX-P50VT20B?

Looking to wrap up a deal sometime early next week. So if there are any Sony Centre store guys whom have seen this beast of a Sony as also demo or played around with the Panasonic and are able to give an impartial honest opinion out of the two which is better. It would be greatly honest.

The only thing that is making me torn towards the 'Panasonic' is the 'features' that come complete; i.e. Wi-Fi dongle included. When taken out of the box. But have seen some mixed messages regarding it's Internet features?

So please fellow WhatHifiers !!!

Please pour your comments in, as my head is overload!! [:cool:]

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
there are some good reviews out or just coming out on the Sony KDL-52HX903.

I have one and am absolutely delighted with it. It is full array back-lighting. The backlighting hasn't shown the same negative experiences that I suffered with the Philips 46 PFL9705 which may have been down to incorrect settings. I find the Sony to be easy to set up and easy to use. I am sure the TV has more to offer with settings and adjustments but to be honest I love the HD picture it offers under the Standard mode with a little extra on the brightness. That's enough for me and the picture is superb. I auditioned a couple and found this to suit me the best. I bought the BDP S770 negotiated as part of the deal, and this acts as my wifi connection point.

A

Anonymous

JCSHutts,

You've read my mind, looking to pick up on the BDP-S770. Got a Netgear 3500L router, giving the best coverage possible :)

Thus so far, looking and swinging towards the Sony.

Have you managed to obtain the optimum settings for Sony's behemoth
emotion-2.gif
...if so, please do let me know. As i've just checked on Tweaktv.com, but none. They're a little late at times.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
No. WHF did post their reference settings for the HX somewhere in a thread but for the life of me I can't find it!

Let me know if you find it first.

When would you expect delivery - there have been some long waiting lists but you may find one in stock somewhere??

A

Anonymous

Haven't done it yet, as i'm waiting for some funds to clear in my bank. Will do so from next week.

So there's a demand for the 52", thought it was the little brother 46" that is more in demand?

Well, shall find out next week.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
the demand for the 52 may go up once the reviews come out so you may wish to think about putting down a deposit to reserve one?? just a thought

A

Anonymous

Hello JCShutts,

out of interest, who did you purchased one from. I came across some results via a Google search.

As it stands PRCDIRECT.com have it for £2420.93 (Including V.A.T Back) and 5 Year Sony Warranty.

Second is DIGITAL LINK whom have a bundle £2808.51 same as above, but with BDP S470 bundle included. But will still pick up BDP S770.

If you can give some input towards other reputable e-commerce company you'd used, please do share :)

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
i have tried locating the examples you refer to but cannot. The PRC sounds too good to be true? the full retail price is £3500 for the TV alone.

Will they include the 3D pack as well?

I bought from my local Sony centre. I'll let you know how much when I can be sure it wasn't significantly more than you can get it for!!!!

On this one I wanted to buy local so I could audition the TV first. If an e-retailer had offered significant savings at the time, it might have been a harder choice - but no-one had any in stock at the time.

A

Anonymous

http://www.froogle.prcdirect.co.uk/televisions/3d-televisions/3d-led-televisions/52-inch-3d-led-televisions/kdl52hx903u/product

here we go!!

so is it to good to be true then?

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
well it depends. At first sight yes - fantastic offer. You need to confirm a) have they got one in stock. b) is the 3d pack included c) how much to include the S770. Let me know. Even with the other items at full price it would be a little less than I paid.....

A

Anonymous

no 3D Pack, the BDP S770 is not in store yet??

For 3D Pack they're charging £500 (+ V.A.T Back) ...

don't fret still re-evaluating price options. Thinking also about the RHTG11 Cabinet Speaker Stand.

A

Anonymous

Looking to add Sony RHTG11, then BDP-S770 ...how does that combination work?

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
umm, I don't have any experience of the RHTG11. When I was looking for a stand I found that most available stands had very low clearance between shelves which did not allow for the air flow around my amp - Yamaha Z9. This for me meant that I had to commission a bespoked cabinet which was £350. Very well made strong glass, brushed metal posts. This worked well for me and the company were very helpful and efficient -

http://customdesign.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=52_73&osCsid=udqd7m58n46i96q9keb2unf221

http://customdesign.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=52_73&osCsid=udqd7m58n46i96q9keb2unf221Just my experience and not for everyone of course!

A

Anonymous

jcshutts, is your Blu-Ray BDP-S770 multi-region for Blu-Ray & DVD???

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I actually don't know. Isn't everything multi-region now?

try this:

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/518493.aspx

you may need to paste it into the URN.

Have you ordered yet?

A

Anonymous

Hello mate,

Did come across that forum, as also reading it in its entirety :)

The 'Harmony' hack remote only enables 'DVD' as multi-region, not Blu-Ray. That requires a physical modification on the board. To which is what i'm after. Came across a 'seller' on Amazon, will proceed in ordering one by next week.

A

Anonymous

If you dont care about 3D, the Panasonic Z1 is worth considering, a level better than the VT model. Since the Sony LCD has reflective screen like the plasma, this is not a decision poin ( they both perform poorly in daylight conditions ) , and I would choose the Z1.

Due to the much faster panel speed of the plasma, anything you throw at the Z1 will be reproduced without artifacts caused by panel speed - you will never be sure on the LCD which artifacts you get. Had the Sony had a matte screen, I would select the Sony. So its a fairly close race if Z1 / 903. VT / 903 probably depends if you are lucky to get a VT without problems.

A

Anonymous

unable to find a review on this website for that TV, nor on Reevoo.co.uk???

So if you're able to direct me to a review of some sort then cool!

Thanks

A

Anonymous

well given how hard it has been for me to get my hands on my 46hx903 i would say be prepared to wait! but having read the reviews on both the hx903 and the vt20, its a no brainer in my opinion.

hx903 all the way.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
darkdealx:
unable to find a review on this website for that TV, nor on Reevoo.co.uk???

So if you're able to direct me to a review of some sort then cool!

Thanks

To clarify, the Z1 is a Panasonic model from a few years ago - it was their flagship model and (probably as it was insanely priced at the time) there are still stock left that are now being sold off.

In our comparative testing, the Z1 didn't stack up in performance terms to the Pioneer Kuro at that time, whereas today's best sets are matching - and in some respects (especially detail reproduction) excelling - that plasma.

Peter has VERY specific opinions about Panasonic (and other brand sets); i'd suggest you read far more widely before considering the Z1 on indeed any other set. And, of course, trust your own eyes above anything else
emotion-21.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
PeterHerz:
If you dont care about 3D, the Panasonic Z1 is worth considering, a level better than the VT model. Since the Sony LCD has reflective screen like the plasma, this is not a decision poin ( they both perform poorly in daylight conditions ) , and I would choose the Z1.

Due to the much faster panel speed of the plasma, anything you throw at the Z1 will be reproduced without artifacts caused by panel speed - you will never be sure on the LCD which artifacts you get. Had the Sony had a matte screen, I would select the Sony. So its a fairly close race if Z1 / 903. VT / 903 probably depends if you are lucky to get a VT without problems.

Peter, with all respect, please stop presenting your opinions so forcefully as facts - especially your obsession with reflective screens! (Which baffle us and certainly aren't typical in normal lighting conditions - yes, even during the day).

It's great you've settled with the Z1,but people need to understand it's an older model, without a lot of the functionality now expected from a modern flatscreen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts