Samsung UE37D6750 vs Panasonic TX-L37DT30???

admin_exported

New member
Aug 10, 2019
2,556
4
0
I've just bought the new Samsung UE37D6750 from Costco and whilst watching it the majority of TV/film the picture looks too sharp - it makes the programmes look 'staged' and super-imposed. I've also noticed a bit of judder in the fast action shots.

I'm viewing through Sky+HD and regular Sky / Digital.

I hasten to add the documentary channels look fab when on HD.

I've done a bit of searching on the web and have noticed that John Lewis have a Panasonic TX-L37DT30 with Panasonic DMP-BDT110EB 3D Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player and 2 pairs of glasses for £749. I'm now thinking I should take the Samsung back and get the Panny deal.

Has anyone got experience of these TV's? The Panny looks fantastic value to me.

Both TV's have a 5 year warranty although the Costco one is better than the John Lewis one as they will just refund the money wheareas JL will want to repair. Please help!!

Thanks,

David
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Be aware that the guarantee from Costco has changed and while they will simply refund within the first 90 days, the remainder of the 5yr guarantee is now on a repair basis.

Also of note is that the Panasonic is capable of displaying 3D in 1080p whereas the series 6 Samsung LED tv's according to Samsung UK can only display a maximum of 540p.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
The samsung can display 1080P, it would not be an HD tv if it could not. I have looked at it and I thought the panasonic TX-L42E30B was better than the Samsung 6000 range tv's and the Panny you are looking at outperforms the TX-L42E30B. I would say the Panny is a match for Samsung 7000 range tv's and possibly even the 8000 range . It was £1200 when it first appeared. Thats a lot of cash for a 37inch tv. I have seen one in Richers and it looks amazing. I would have the Panny all the way over the Samsung.
 
dasherdiablo1 said:
I've just bought the new Samsung UE37D6750 from Costco and whilst watching it the majority of TV/film the picture looks too sharp - it makes the programmes look 'staged' and super-imposed.

I'm having the same experience with my Samsung. My friend has the Panasonic DT30 (albeit the 32-inch version) & I was quite impressed with its colour rendition & motion handling.
 

f1only

Well-known member
Apr 7, 2010
278
0
18,890
Fraz1 said:
The samsung can display 1080P, it would not be an HD tv if it could not.

Not quite true i believe it only has to display 720p to be classed as an HD tv, & 1080p at present is classed as a full HD tv.

Try turning the Samsungs motion/image enhancing off, this should help as it is quite possible it can add things to your picture that are not supposed to be there.
 

RodhasGibson

Well-known member
Oct 10, 2008
191
9
18,595
bigboss said:
dasherdiablo1 said:
I've just bought the new Samsung UE37D6750 from Costco and whilst watching it the majority of TV/film the picture looks too sharp - it makes the programmes look 'staged' and super-imposed.

I'm having the same experience with my Samsung. My friend has the Panasonic DT30 (albeit the 32-inch version) & I was quite impressed with its colour rendition & motion handling.
You are quite right B B..I bought the 32 inch for the kitchen a couple of days ago and it is spot on I am very impressed with it also.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
[UNPUBLISHED]

I find analog TVs the best, the picture & sound is more crisp!

Merry Xmas from Kitchenaid Artisan 5 Qt Mixer

Webmaster of <a href="”http://www.kitchenaid-artisan5qtmixer.com”>Kitchenaid" Artisan 5 Qt Mixer</a>
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Fraz1 said:
The samsung can display 1080P, it would not be an HD tv if it could not.

Sorry, was not very clear. What I meant is that when displaying 3D, Samsung UK have confirmed that the 6 series LED tv's cannot display the full 1080 lines from bluray or Sky etc and instead the resolution is halved to 540 lines. They have since admitting this, removed all references to Full HD 3D on this series of tv's from both their advertising and website.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Following my original post the situation has changed a little bit;

I've had a fiddle with the settings and the picture has improved. However, when I bought the TV from Costco the sales chap told me I would be getting the 3D Megamind pack which consisted of a touch screen remote control, skpe camera and 2 pairs of 3D glasses - unfortunately they had the TV in store but not the bundle pack; so I took the TV and I went to collect the pack today and all they gave me was a set of 3D glasses. I had quite a discussion but lost. Needless to say I am not happy and am taking the TV back.

I have now tried to get the Panny kit from John Lewis but they are completely sold out. Now I'm really really annoyed at Costco as they've cost me a great deal by telling me the wrong facts!

I'm now in a dilemma as to what to do.....
 
dasherdiablo1 said:
Following my original post the situation has changed a little bit;

I've had a fiddle with the settings and the picture has improved. However, when I bought the TV from Costco the sales chap told me I would be getting the 3D Megamind pack which consisted of a touch screen remote control, skpe camera and 2 pairs of 3D glasses - unfortunately they had the TV in store but not the bundle pack; so I took the TV and I went to collect the pack today and all they gave me was a set of 3D glasses. I had quite a discussion but lost. Needless to say I am not happy and am taking the TV back.

I have now tried to get the Panny kit from John Lewis but they are completely sold out. Now I'm really really annoyed at Costco as they've cost me a great deal by telling me the wrong facts!

I'm now in a dilemma as to what to do.....

Why don't you order it online?

http://www.johnlewis.com/231209830/Product.aspx
 

f1only

Well-known member
Apr 7, 2010
278
0
18,890
bigboss said:
Why don't you order it online?

http://www.johnlewis.com/231209830/Product.aspx

+1 on that BB, good price too
smiley-laughing.gif
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
f1only said:
bigboss said:
Why don't you order it online?

http://www.johnlewis.com/231209830/Product.aspx

+1 on that BB, good price too
smiley-laughing.gif

The reason I do not want that one is because it is only the TV...the deal until the 24th is that TV with 2 pairs of 3D glassed and a Blu Ray player for exactly the same money!!! ie £749.95; I am not prepared to pay for the full TV and not get the extras; why on earth woulod anyone want to? Problem is that JL are now sold out and I have been stuffed by Costco for being mis-sold a TV package that has now cost me a cracking deal at JL.

As I said before; very frustrating but I'm now going to make the most of the Costco 90day return policy and keep it for a couple of months then return it. Then I might pick up another deal at JL in the New Year - fingers crossed!
 
dasherdiablo1 said:
f1only said:
bigboss said:
Why don't you order it online?

http://www.johnlewis.com/231209830/Product.aspx

+1 on that BB, good price too
smiley-laughing.gif

The reason I do not want that one is because it is only the TV...the deal until the 24th is that TV with 2 pairs of 3D glassed and a Blu Ray player for exactly the same money!!! ie £749.95; I am not prepared to pay for the full TV and not get the extras; why on earth woulod anyone want to? Problem is that JL are now sold out and I have been stuffed by Costco for being mis-sold a TV package that has now cost me a cracking deal at JL.

As I said before; very frustrating but I'm now going to make the most of the Costco 90day return policy and keep it for a couple of months then return it. Then I might pick up another deal at JL in the New Year - fingers crossed!

Have you spoken to John Lewis customer service? They're known to be very accommodating.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
John Lewis have updated their website and now have more stock!!! I've now bought the fullpack for under £750! Excellent :O) cheers for your help chaps.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Well today I took delivery of the Panny. First impression out of the box is that it is a lovely looking TV but appearance wise it is not even close to the svelte stature of the Samsung. The remote control of the Panny is terrible compared to the Samsung; it is not user friendly, uncomfortable in the hand; definitely the weakest link of the package.

Having read a number of reviews I have been expecting something really special from the Panny in terms of sound and vision. However, I am thus far disappointed. It took quite a while to play with the settings of the Samsung but eventually after tinkering I managed to get a picture and sound that are of very high quality.

My initial impression of the Panny picture is what I can only describe as varied. When viewing a standard channel through Sky then it is rather rough and patchy and I can only describe it as 'average quality terrestrial'. HD broadcasts and DVDs are pretty good but the images are still not as clear or deep as the Samsung. I've tested both screen watching the fast scenes of Blade 2 and must admit there isn't any noticeable image blur/lag or pixilation on the Panny. The Samsung does suffer from a small amount of image blur; however I am unsure if this is more noticeable on the Samsung as the image is in itself sharper and more revealing; the lack of detail on the Panny may be masking any image smear.

The sound of the Panny is what I can only describe as pants; not the nice sexy ones you like the Mrs to wear but more like the big baggy grey ones hanging on the washing line of your 80 year old neighbour! The Samsung however is crisper/ cleaner and more precise; as with all modern slim TVs the sound is weak due to the small space available to fit in capable speaker components, they are both fine for watching normal TV but desperately need a decent surround sound system to compliment them.

The real difference in the TVs is the menu system. The Panny menu looks great on screen but it is rather limited and there doesn’t seem much choice in the opportunity to manipulate any of the settings. Furthermore the Panny adjustments are displayed on a bar but there are no numbers on it to show what settings you have chosen; this is pre-historic and makes it a nightmare to get settings recommended by others to be replicated on other screens; the only term I can this of to describe this is ‘rubbish’ and I am shocked that Panny have dropped a major ball on this. The Samsung menu I comparison is awesome; not as flash looking on screen but simple to operate and there is a huge array of settings to manipulate the image and sound to your requirements. The way the Samsung menu is built has made it very easy to utilise settings recommended by others; I would say without any doubt the Samsung is the best menu I have encountered.

My ratings Samsung Panasonic

Appearance 9.5/10 8/10

Picture/Image Quality 9/10 7.5/10

Sound 6/10 4/10

Menu/Settings – Ease of use 9/10 9/10

Menu/Settings - Adjustability 9/10 5/10

Remote Control 8/10 4/10

Overall I have to say the Samsung is far superior to the Panasonic in every way; this draws me to the conclusion that maybe I am missing something on the Panny? I cannot believe that others have rated it so highly and I am struggling to see it as anything better than a budget option from Tesco’s or Asda’s. I think I may be returning the Panny to John Lewis at the weekend unless by some remote chance it reveals some magnificence to me in the next 24hours!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Have you enabled the advanced picture settings in the setup menu? This will address some of your issues.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I have discovered the professional setting, but am rather frustrasted that this means only 2 of the profile settings can display numerical values. I am still to find anything on the web where others have posted the settings they have found best suited this screen in a home environment.

Any help appreciated!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
"Furthermore the Panny adjustments are displayed on a bar but there are no numbers on it to show what settings you have chosen; this is pre-historic and makes it a nightmare to get settings recommended by others to be replicated on other screen"

A nightmare? Hardly. If you can count and know how to divide or work out a percentage this should be a doddle.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
"I cannot believe that others have rated it so highly and I am struggling to see it as anything better than a budget option from Tesco’s or Asda’s. "

Rather silly comment. Did you notice the far superior black depth on the Panny?If you think the Panny LED is not detailed enough, you ever seen a Plasma?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Regards numerical values of settings, surely having 2 fully adjustable 'profiles' for each input is enough?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Any update please? I asked for help getting a 37" last night but thus far - no replies. So your latest experience would help me.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts