Sony BDP-S370 whining during playback

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just got a new Sony BDP-S370 and it seems generally excellent. However, I've noticed that there is often a high-pitched whining sound during Blu Ray disc playback. The pitch of the whine seems to change when quickly skipping though chapters - e.g. I was just doing this with Star Trek. I guess it's to do with different spin speeds of the disc.

Has anyone else with this model noticed the same thing? Is it normal, or should it be pretty much silent during playback? The whine is annoying enough to make me think about returning the machine for a replacement.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

I had this - no such issues. There must be a fault with your unit. Best to take it back.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. I did swap the unit for another one, and it basically makes the same noise, so I now think I was just being overly sensitive. I've not owned a Blu Ray or DVD player before, so had nothing to compare it with (except for a PS2 and an Xbox360, both of which are like jet engines, noise-wise!).

A

Anonymous

Ive been waiting to take the plunge to blue ray until that review was out Andy :)

The feature set of the 370 looked just right for me so i think it will be my player. Is there any others in the same price range that you would urge me to consider?

Oh and can you plug an ipod touch into the front usb?

thx

rblock

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Have you managed to rectify your whining noise during playback? I've just purchased this player to replace my Panasonic bd55. Generally I am impressed with the overall performance, especially with sound! However I too have noticed a high pitched whine during disc playback during quieter scenes which is a bit annoying. I accept the noise during disc loading etc.. but surely not during playback. So I was just wandering how you resolved your issue! Is it a case of keep having to return the item until a quiet one is found, or are the more expensive sony models better built?

TRENDING THREADS