Sony BDP S-790, Pioneer BDP-450, or alternative?

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Visit site
Hi all,

I just bought a 50GT50 and need a 3D-capable Blu-ray player with two HDMI outs (my receiver is only v1.3 capable).

There's nowhere locally that stocks the Pioneer for audition purposes. I've also read that the 790 can be noisy in operation, which I find very off-putting (I used to own a Sony BDP, but got rid because I found the background whine deeply irritating).

I only need a BDP with twin HDMI outs that does the following:

1. Offers exemplary BD and DVD playback in terms of audio and video

2. Loads relatively quickly (I've also read that the Sony is slow to load DVDs, for some strange reason)

3. Is whisper quiet in operation

I'm not remotely interested in smart features. I've got several devices that do this already, which I never use. Wireless connectivity for firmware updates isn't a must either, as I'll run an ethernet cable to whichever BDP I buy. It'd be good to retire my Denon DVD2500BT, if only to make space in my cabinet. That said, if I feel the 2500BT outperforms a newer BDP with 2D discs, there's just about room for both. Sadly I'm not in the market for, say, an Oppo, however tempting that may be...

The Pioneer makes a lot of sense in terms of my requirements, though I'm not sure how noisy a disc-spinner it is. The Pioneer is also more handsome and robust than the Sony, which looks tacky to my eyes.

It'd be good to get the views of anyone that owns the Sony or Pioneer, or indeed an alternative that fits my requirements above.

Many thanks.
 
What's your budget?

What about Denon 3313UD?

Pioneer got Sharp to make its players a couple of years ago, which weren't that good, but the newer models are now made by Pioneer & are significantly better than the previous. I've read about some playback issues with some blu ray discs, so not sure of that.
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Visit site
Cheers BB.

As appealing a proposition as the Denon may be, I'm not in the market for a mid-to-high end BDP, hence my reluctance to look at Oppo players as well.

I was really hoping to spend around £200, in which case the Pioneer may be the best bet. If you could direct me to reports of playback issues with the BDP-450 that'd be very helpful. I'm also interested to know how noisy the Pioneer is in operation (if anyone can advise). I'd check for myself, but I can't audition the player anywhere locally at the moment. Superfi sell the 450, but don't have one available for demonstration purposes at my local branch.
 

f1only

Well-known member
Apr 7, 2010
278
0
18,890
Visit site
I have played just one DVD only since owning my Sony S790 & i cant say it is slow at loading them, or Blu-rays.

Personally i dont find the Sony any noisier than my Pioneer BDP320 that i have in the bedroom.

I would audition the Sony 790, (the Pioneer 420 you suggested by all accounts is near as damn it as good as the 55) & the Panasonic 500 BB mentioned in the post above, all i believe are good, it is down to personal choice & requirements of features.

Regards...
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
I have no experience of either BDP you are considering, but I do have both Sony and Pioneer players.

From my experience with these, I've found the Pioneer to be much better made, and better with PQ and SQ, but this could be to do with the extra cost of the Pioneer. The Pioneer is quite slow to load disc sometimes, and does have issues with playing disc on occasions. These issues are mainly freezing during playback, even when there is no noticeable mark on the disc, which can be very annoying. This is a known problem with some Pioneer Blu Ray players.

I've not had similar problems with the Sony, but I still prefer the Pioneer as my main player, purely for cosmetic and quality reasons.
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Visit site
bigboss said:
I'm at work, so some sites don't open. Will find the relevant threads later. I remember reading that although the 450 has much improved over its predecessors, there were a few niggles encountered.

Meanwhile, check this.

What about Panasonic BDT-500?

Cheers BB.

The thread on the 450 is rather discouraging. I'd read about noisy startup, but the other issues mentioned are enough to put me off. Pioneer also don't seem very proactive when it comes to firmware updates.

I've thought about the 500 and I'm starting to lean in that direction. Some good prices on the Panasonic at the moment, too, putting it more or less within my quoted price bracket. I don't like the look of the 500, but that's of secondary importance as the BDP will be largely out of view.

I'm still waiting for delivery of the GT50, so need to decide this is a keeper before shelling out for a BDP. I'm really being proactive myself at the moment...
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Visit site
f1only said:
I have played just one DVD only since owning my Sony S790 & i cant say it is slow at loading them, or Blu-rays.

Personally i dont find the Sony any noisier than my Pioneer BDP320 that i have in the bedroom.

I would audition the Sony 790, (the Pioneer 420 you suggested by all accounts is near as damn it as good as the 55) & the Panasonic 500 BB mentioned in the post above, all i believe are good, it is down to personal choice & requirements of features.

Regards...

Thanks for the response. I agree entirely that it's worth auditioning the Sony and Panasonic.
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I have no experience of either BDP you are considering, but I do have both Sony and Pioneer players.

From my experience with these, I've found the Pioneer to be much better made, and better with PQ and SQ, but this could be to do with the extra cost of the Pioneer. The Pioneer is quite slow to load disc sometimes, and does have issues with playing disc on occasions. These issues are mainly freezing during playback, even when there is no noticeable mark on the disc, which can be very annoying. This is a known problem with some Pioneer Blu Ray players.

I've not had similar problems with the Sony, but I still prefer the Pioneer as my main player, purely for cosmetic and quality reasons.

That's what's concerning me now, as well as noisy playback issues reported on the thread BB linked to. Appreciate the advice.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
Just to clarify, I've not had any noise problems with playback, it's definitely quieter than the Sony there, but it does make a bit of noise when it's loading the disc, but then again, so does the Sony.

Freezing during playback is the major downfall for me, and the reason I've been thinking of changing it..
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freezing during playback is the major downfall for me, and the reason I've been thinking of changing it..

Cheers for the info.

To be honest, that's enough to put me off. The annoying thing is that I've got a 2D BDP I absolutely love. If it only played 3D Blu-rays I'd be extremely happy.

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to keep the Denon 2500BT for all 2D DVD/Blu-ray duties. In other words, I want a reasonably priced BDP that performs well with 3D discs, doesn't make a racket in operation, and has two HDMI outs. That's it. No further requirements. You'd think this would be possible?

I'm now looking around at older models, perhaps even second hand, that I could pick up relatively cheaply. I can't imagine differences between players with 3D Blu-ray playback would be that striking. Given the current dearth of decent 3D content, the BDP won't be put to use that often. I mainly bought the GT50 as I want a larger screen.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
I'm (possibly) going to get a GT50 tomorrow, if I do, I'll be in the same boat as you.

Looking at reviews, the 790 seems to be by far the best choice, but the Pana 310 has twin HDMI, and I've found one here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BDT310-Blu-Ray-Player-DMP-BDT310-DMPBDT310-/300837986611?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayers_Recorders&hash=item460b576133 , though you could get a brand spanking new 790 for not that much more.
 
D

Deleted member 2457

Guest
What about the Pioneer Bdp-lx55? A couple of people have it on here and are happy. Frankharvey have one, could probably negotiate a bargain with David if you tell him who you are.
 
D

Deleted member 2457

Guest
bigboss said:
My understanding is that LX55's playback issues were worse than 450.

I thought the latest firmware update fixed that?
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm (possibly) going to get a GT50 tomorrow, if I do, I'll be in the same boat as you.

Looking at reviews, the 790 seems to be by far the best choice, but the Pana 310 has twin HDMI, and I've found one here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BDT310-Blu-Ray-Player-DMP-BDT310-DMPBDT310-/300837986611?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayers_Recorders&hash=item460b576133 , though you could get a brand spanking new 790 for not that much more.

Let us know if you do get a GT50. I think the post-Christmas price drop makes it worthwhile, as long as the sets we get are largely problem free.

I think I need to audition a 790 to see how noisy it is in operation. Looking at your signature, I also owned a 360, but sold it and bought the Denon because I found the 360's high pitched whine a constant distraction.
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Visit site
gel said:
bigboss said:
My understanding is that LX55's playback issues were worse than 450.

I thought the latest firmware update fixed that?

I'd read about playback issues with the 55 as well, which is why I hadn't considered it. I'd be grateful if any owners could clarify whether the problems are fixed with the latest firmware.
 
D

Deleted member 2457

Guest
strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm (possibly) going to get a GT50 tomorrow, if I do, I'll be in the same boat as you.

Looking at reviews, the 790 seems to be by far the best choice, but the Pana 310 has twin HDMI, and I've found one here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BDT310-Blu-Ray-Player-DMP-BDT310-DMPBDT310-/300837986611?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayers_Recorders&hash=item460b576133 , though you could get a brand spanking new 790 for not that much more.

Let us know if you do get a GT50. I think the post-Christmas price drop makes it worthwhile, as long as the sets we get are largely problem free.

I think I need to audition a 790 to see how noisy it is in operation. Looking at your signature, I also owned a 360, but sold it and bought the Denon because I found the 360's high pitched whine a constant distraction.

Have you got John Lewis to thrown in the free Panasonic 3D blu-ray player? Because I am not sure whether you will need another one just for 3D. With the Pioneer 55 Home Cinema Choice just done a three page spread on it and highly recommended it. They were comparing it to the likes of the Pioneer 91 Blu-ray player!
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Visit site
gel said:
Have you got John Lewis to thrown in the free Panasonic 3D blu-ray player? Because I am not sure whether you will need another one just for 3D. With the Pioneer 55 Home Cinema Choice just done a three page spread on it and highly recommended it. They were comparing it to the likes of the Pioneer 91 Blu-ray player!

There was an offer with a free BDP, but since the price drop John Lewis only sell the TV by itself. I didn't consider this a problem, since John Lewis don't sell any Blu-ray players with two HDMI outs.

That said, my other option is to buy a cheap 3D-ready BDP with an optical out. I'd have to set the BDP to output PCM and in theory I'd lose some audio data. This might be a reasonable compromise, as the great majority of my viewing won't be in 3D. I could then use my Denon 2500BT for all other Blu-ray/DVD duties.

Decisions... I'll try to track down the HCC LX55 feature as well. Should be worth a read!
 
D

Deleted member 2457

Guest
strapped for cash said:
gel said:
Have you got John Lewis to thrown in the free Panasonic 3D blu-ray player? Because I am not sure whether you will need another one just for 3D. With the Pioneer 55 Home Cinema Choice just done a three page spread on it and highly recommended it. They were comparing it to the likes of the Pioneer 91 Blu-ray player!

There was an offer with a free BDP, but since the price drop John Lewis only sell the TV by itself. I didn't consider this a problem, since John Lewis don't sell any Blu-ray players with two HDMI outs.

That said, my other option is to buy a cheap 3D-ready BDP with an optical out. I'd have to set the BDP to output PCM and in theory I'd lose some audio data. This might be a reasonable compromise, as the great majority of my viewing won't be in 3D. I could then use my Denon 2500BT for all other Blu-ray/DVD duties.

Decisions... I'll try to track down the HCC LX55 feature as well. Should be worth a read!

No they have done a new offer today on the John Lewis website if you type in Panasonic 50gt50 and search you will see it. They will throw it in if you give your local one a call. I have been informed by two really credible sources the 55 is really good, but I have not seen it.
 
D

Deleted member 2457

Guest
http://www.johnlewis.com/Search/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=Panasonic+50gt50

It is the one on the right. And you get two 3D Blu-rays.
smiley-smile.gif
BBB has just got it thrown in too for £999!
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Visit site
gel said:
http://www.johnlewis.com/Search/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=Panasonic+50gt50

It is the one on the right. And you get two 3D Blu-rays.
smiley-smile.gif
BBB has just got it thrown in too for £999!

Thanks Gel!

Took a bit of negotiating with JL, but got it all sorted. No free Blu-ray discs, though (unless they're being sent and I'm not aware). Anyway, I'm happy with that. I'll use the cheap Pana for 3D, and my Denon for everything else. Now just waiting for it all to be delivered. Delivery is three days later than originally arranged, but I'm happy to wait and get the BDP as well.
 
D

Deleted member 2457

Guest
strapped for cash said:
gel said:
http://www.johnlewis.com/Search/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=Panasonic+50gt50

It is the one on the right. And you get two 3D Blu-rays.
smiley-smile.gif
BBB has just got it thrown in too for £999!

Thanks Gel!

Took a bit of negotiating with JL, but got it all sorted. No free Blu-ray discs, though (unless they're being sent and I'm not aware). Anyway, I'm happy with that. I'll use the cheap Pana for 3D, and my Denon for everything else. Now just waiting for it all to be delivered. Delivery is three days later than originally arranged, but I'm happy to wait and get the BDP as well.

Nice one!
smiley-smile.gif
You will have to claim the two 3D Blu-rays via a form here

http://www.johnlewis.com/231612826/Product.aspx

http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/offer/avatar-and-titanic-blu-ray-movie-offer/
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Visit site
gel said:
Nice one!
smiley-smile.gif
You will have to claim the two 3D Blu-rays via a form here

http://www.johnlewis.com/231612826/Product.aspx

http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/offer/avatar-and-titanic-blu-ray-movie-offer/

Awesome. I can't stand Avatar or Titanic, but it'll be good to have a few more 3D test discs.
smiley-smile.gif
 

TRENDING THREADS