Prometheus BluRay playback problems on Sony BDPS760 (Sorta fixed!)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Fix :beer: Update: Sunday 14-10-12

Hi all

Just thought I'd post the result of trying the suggestions that several people here and elsewhere have made...

Yes: it does seem that disabling BD Live / Bluray internet connectivity when playing the Prometheus discs on my Sony BDP-s760fixes the issues (at least on the Extras disc...I haven't had time to do a full playthrough of the main film yet; I will again tonight). I regained full control of the menus and was able to play all the pieces that I chose to: no macroblocking, no freezes and no stalls

Go to the player's own menu. Go: Setup > BD / DVD Viewing Settings > BD Internet Connection > Do Not Allow.

Obviously, this isn't ideal: an option that is normally permanently enabled in the player, I'll now have to remember to manually re-enable for other discs.

But it does seem to work, so we'll consider that a partial win!

Just FYI

C

Original Post:

:quest:

Just wondering is anyone else is getting issues with playback on Prometheus on Sony (or any other) BluRay players? This is the first disc I've ever had a problem with.

I bought the 3 disc UK set. Although I don't have 3D equipment, I plumped for this set as it's the only UK version with in-depth extras.

The problems breakdown as follows:

Main 2D movie disc: movie play fine until approx the last 15 mins of film (the juggernaught launch) then major macroblocking bands start popping up. Eject the disc and put in back in and it plays through to the end without noticeable issue.

Extras disc: more problematic again: directly after Fox HE logo: black screen with basic 'placeholder' text giving the three main portions of the disc contents and Fox copyright text...then the Welyand nav launches. Sometimes the menu is interactive, sometimes it freezes. Guaranteed though is play any one of the 'Furious Gods' doc pieces and the disc will freeze on exit of that piece. You have to eject the disc and try again.

I've requested a replacement disc set (from amazon.co.uk), but was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same issue.

FYI: Although my player is 3 years old, my firmware is fully up to date and this is literally the first disc set out of the approx 100 I own that has refused to play ball.

Any thoughts?

C

Update: Sunday 14-10-12

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
No problems here.

Just suffered the bd.

Alien fans will enjoy but what a waste of time. More holes than a colinder. Ridley should hang his boots. Pic quality ok. SQ less than good. 7.1?? Poor. If u want yr system to explode then War Horse is 100% better.

Anyone want a copy? Played only once?

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
It played ok on my system too. If you keep getting problems definately after a replacement check your player out & get a laser eye cleaner it may help.

@ RobinKidderminster agreed about the story, maybe watch the extras disc or the extended version when it comes out it will fill in the gaps better. Some of the acting left a bit to be desired IMO. The picture quality was very good, I dont know why you thought the sound was poor, i thought it was excellent through my set up.

Regards..

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi f1 - Have you played War Horse BD? The war sceen is stunning compared with Prometheus. And anything else Ive played actually!

Good story for OH too!

Cheers

My copy on Amazon for £10 !

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I initially had a problem on my 380 when I pressed “Play” - it kept asking me for an internet connection! (those things are for PC’s, not BDP’s and TV’s).

A few un-plug/plug-ins later it worked. Haven’t checked out the “alternative” beginning and ending yet, but could hardly be worse than the original.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
:cheers: to u f1. Did you still rate Prometheus sound compared to warhorse (as a matter of interest).

(Reaching for the setup disc and adjusting the modal phase biampulator)

:)

Papalazarou75

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
my sony s380 became quite jittery with some discs, try a cleaning disc as mentioned before,

I like the movie a lot,not seen it on blu ray yet ,but i thought it was a well made movie compared to smoe of the latest tripe out there :)

bryster

Aug 9, 2008
Visit site
Played absolutely fine on my panasonic. I know its not a Sony but its an older player and more likely to have issues

In regards to the film you do find it has a marmite effect on people, they either love or hate it.

What I will say is that Ridley scott has already itimated that there will be further sequels which will fill the gaps in Prometheus. He explains on the extras disc that although this is in the same universe as Alien/Aliens, it is a completely stand alone movie

When viewed in that respect, I really enjoyed the film and look forward to the sequel(s)

I havent seen War horse on blu ray so cant compare the sound or picture, but on my system is looked and sounded brilliant

I have to disagree on the on the quality of war horse though, I think it is one of spielbergs weakest ever films

A

Anonymous

I had the same problem on my BDPS760 happened on chapter 20. Loads of magenta and green macroblocking. Aso the menu was unresponsive when I first attempted to play the film. Watched the rest of the film on the PS3 with no problems. Tested the BDPS760 on the same chapter later and it was fine. Very strange indeed :wall:

A

Anonymous

zobslee82 said:
I had the same problem on my BDPS760 happened on chapter 20. Loads of magenta and green macroblocking. Aso the menu was unresponsive when I first attempted to play the film. Watched the rest of the film on the PS3 with no problems. Tested the BDPS760 on the same chapter later and it was fine. Very strange indeed :wall:

Snap! It's almost as if the Sony runs out of puff trying to de-code the disc.

Pain in the backside. Will see if new copy fixes it. Doubtful though...

I wonder if Sony is still issuing firmware upgrades for the 760?

C

A

Anonymous

Fix :beer: Update: Sunday 14-10-12

Hi all

Just thought I'd post the result of trying the suggestions that several people here and elsewhere have made...

Yes: it does seem that disabling BD Live / Bluray internet connectivity when playing the Prometheus discs on my Sony BDP-s760 fixes the issues (at least on the Extras disc...I haven't had time to do a full playthrough of the main film yet; I will again tonight). I regained full control of the menus and was able to play all the pieces that I chose to: no macroblocking, no freezes and no stalls

Go to the player's own menu. Go: Setup > BD / DVD Viewing Settings > BD Internet Connection > Do Not Allow.

Obviously, this isn't ideal: an option that is normally permanently enabled in the player, I'll now have to remember to manually re-enable for other discs.

But it does seem to work, so we'll consider that a partial win!

Just FYI

C

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I watched Prometheus on Marantz BD5004.

It was the longest I've ever known any disc to load through to a menu, then I had to run and get an SD card out of a camera, it then spent minutes downloading, then after about 10 minutes since originally inserting the disc into the player I could press play on the remote.

Painful experience but quickly blanked as the movie was fab in blu-ray def.

Blu-ray movies are becoming more painful to load and I wonder when my expensive player will become obsolete.

A

Anonymous

I have to tell you that you are not alone in this issue. My experience with Prometheus (2D) on Sony BDP-CX960 is exactly the same. 15 minutes thought the movie it started microblocking (vertical lines throught out the screen. Navigating through extras and deleted scenes resulted in player freezing up completely. It simply stopped responding to remote commands. I had to power off the unit. After that there we no more issues playing the extras. I will try to disable BD Internet Connection to see if the issues are addressed, however that will affect some cool interactive functionality built into the move.

Also, Prometheus is the only movie in my collection with this issue, which leads me to believe it's a Sony firmware compatibility issue. The only hope is that Sony will release an update.

I am also curious to know if the replacement disk you ordered improved your experience.

A

Anonymous

:oops:

Nope. Replacement disk set has exactly the same issues as the original.

I was pondering the chicken-and-the-egg situation. Is the fix Sony releasing a firmware update or Fox releasing a disc fix?

On balance: it's down to Fox for seemingly creating / engineering a disc that is problematic to play on players that are not that old.

Either way, the Sony / Prometheus partnership is - currently, in my case at least - an unhappy one.

Just FYI.

C

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I just watched Prometheus 2D on blu-ray.

Started macro blocking at 39 mis and then again athe point where the Prometheus is rammed in to the alien ship.

Both times I stopped and restarted but the player locks up so had to resort to power off at plug and skipping chapters.

I Have a Sony BDP-S350, I also have a PS3 and Sony BDP-S470.

I have only tried on the 350. will run it on 470 to see if it occurs.

All firmwares are up to date.

AmigaNut

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Update

Well as mentioned in prevous posts,

the BD live setting wa off on my 470 and had no probs, so I have turned it off on the 350 but have yet to try.

Oddly though I have Gladiator on Blu-Ray and watched for 1st time about 3./4 of way through when he comes face to face with the new Ceaser it paused and the timer carried on. I thought initially layer change then I realised it Blu-Ray. Anyway after a couple of pauses and starts by me it cariied on ok.

Very Strange. I have removed the USB stick to see if this was the cause. Anyone have an idea on this.

Its not dirty as brand new.

AmigaNut

A

Anonymous

Prometheus is superb. How can you compare Warhorse and Prometheus? That's like comparing Wallace & Gromit and Ben Hur. Do you just sit and pick holes in the audio rather than just enjoy the films?

It's science fiction. I'll inform you just in case, none of it is real........

OneBoxSystem said:
Prometheus is superb. How can you compare Warhorse and Prometheus? That's like comparing Wallace & Gromit and Ben Hur. Do you just sit and pick holes in the audio rather than just enjoy the films?

:grin:

A

Anonymous

I received the Prometheus Collector's addition 3D Blu Ray over Xmas and have also had problems with playback, with both the 3D & 2D discs failing to load at all ! My system comprises a Pioneer BDP-430 Blu Ray player, through an Onkyo TX-SR608 A/V and a Samsung PS50C6900 50" Plasma. i have tried disabling the BD Interactive function on the blu-ray player - similar to the Sony users on this thread but with no luck.

It would seem that my Pioneer player was Pioneer's first 3D capable player - & was actually a "re-badged" Sharp player - and it may be that earlier players are struggling with the newer discs ?

Any possible solutions would be appreciated !

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:

No film is real. I'm not sure what your point is?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts