Sony BDP S-790, Pioneer BDP-450, or alternative?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
Nice one!
smiley-smile.gif
You will have to claim the two 3D Blu-rays via a form here

http://www.johnlewis.com/231612826/Product.aspx

http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/offer/avatar-and-titanic-blu-ray-movie-offer/

Awesome. I can't stand Avatar or Titanic, but it'll be good to have a few more 3D test discs.
smiley-smile.gif

smiley-laughing.gif

greycounciller

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Just to throw in my lot, I have the Pioneer BDP 450 and primarily, it is a very good player, but it does have some issues. For me, it's been freezing while using DNLA features.

This will definitely need a firmware fix to sort out properly.

Sonically and visually, it's very good and mine is dead silent in operation. Loading is very quick with either Blurays or regular DVD's.

I chose this player as it's a universal player. Had I not needed that aspect, I would have gone for the Sony.

As it stands, I'll rate this 7/10 with 10/10 possible if a firmware update sorts out the DNLA side.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for the responses. My cheapskate (perhaps temporary) solution will be to use the free Panasonic 120 BDP I'm getting with my soon to be delivered GT50 TV.

It's good to have information on the 450 for possible future reference, though.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the LX54 and I cannot wait to leave it behind me. The players by pioneer are good when they work. If this pioneer is as sluggish to start up as mine then avoid! Mine takes 4 mins to start one 3D film, god forbid I press power off twice in a row as this will either cause me to wait for ages (eventually resulting in me yanking the power cord) or freeze the player. It's unresponsive and too slow.

In regards to playback - I still cannot watch Prometheus 3D or get through the menu system on star trek the next gen bluray. This is supposed to be fixed with the next update, but how long before it happens again. Imagine how I feel when a £100 old Panasonic has no problems playing the same disc.

Go for either the Sony, BDT 500 or Denton as advised by BB.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I went for a demo of the BDT500 and S790. Honestly, I did not think much of the Sony. The BDT500 displayed more detail, and handled motion better, in fact it was very close to the performance of the 751BD which I also tested.

I will certainly give this pioneer a go that you mention on my next trip.

The LX54 unfortunately is not faulty, it's a common problem experienced by many. Clearly it must be more to do with hardware than software, as you have clarified yours is more responsive.

greycounciller

May 5, 2011
Visit site
As you say, Duaplex, some of the very said players function with no problems what-so-ever and others just fail.

My BDP 450 loads and runs with no issues, apart from the Network side as I mentioned before. That however is not a great issue as many amps these days duplicate the same features via DNLA anyway.

It no doubt sounds you got a duff player. Sorry for that. Had it been a Sony or Panny with the same faults, it wouldn't then mean they're all bad.

I too would always recommend buyers go for the popular recommendations if they match their budget and purpose.

I went for the 450 because it filled both for me. The Panny DT500 and Sony 790 too are excellent players.

I hope we all comfort in whatever we chose.

A

Anonymous

hello

i have both, I meet an issue on the BDP-450 a shift between screen and the sound when I use the ' separate' mode:

I plug the MAIN to my TV ( kdh46hx850) and the SUB to my Yam Rxa3010 in full HDMI mode of course.

the screen is arriving a little bit before the sound, so I can not use the delay function , because just add a 'add' shift.

but the sound seems clearer whe I use the separate mode,

the bdps790 seems have a screen with more contaste and the coulor more deep ( brown / blu).

best regards

thierry

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts