Synology DS 211j and Sony BDP S370

jasonmiddleton

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have a Synology DS211j and Sony BDP S370 and have choppy HD playback at certain points in a film. I know that these will be when the bit rate is at it's highest and wondered if anyone had worked out how to sure the problem. The DS211j is gigabit ethernet, where the BDP S370 is only 100base ethernet. My hub is a Netgear 100base ethernet and I wondered if this was limiting the bandwidth of if it's the Sony that's the limiting factor.

Ideas and view would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

jasonmiddleton

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
That doesn't help me much with what I've got. I've just bought £300 of NAS and hard drives so I don't want to start spending even more money. Does anyone know that the max bit rate that I can use before it starts to stutter?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I believe that the data rate for a BluRay disk is about 36Mbps, so if you have compressed HD files it should be less than that. I doubt the network speed is the bottleneck unless the netowkr has a problem.

Have you tried watching the same files on a computer, to take the player out of the equation and see what happens?

It could be the NAS. Not all of them can serve files quick enough once you get HD data.

jasonmiddleton

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The films work fime on the computer. They've been converted into Xvid AVI files with a bit rate of 18,000kbps for the video. The NAS should be ok as it's rated at over 40kbps so I don't think it's that. The hub is shared with out BT vision box and TV, so it could be them as it might not be anle to cope with the badwidth of all three at the same time. I'll unplug them and try again.

jasonmiddleton

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The films work fime on the computer. They've been converted into Xvid AVI files with a bit rate of 18,000kbps for the video. The NAS should be ok as it's rated at over 40kbps so I don't think it's that. The hub is shared with out BT vision box and TV, so it could be them as it might not be anle to cope with the badwidth of all three at the same time. I'll unplug them and try again.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
When you play over the computer then are you just accessing files directly, rather than using DLNA? Might be an issue of how fast the DLNA server is, or alternatively there is the possibility ot's the 370 or configuration of it.

TRENDING THREADS