Is there anything special required in a BDP to play Atmos BDs?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering.

Are all BDPs capable of playing Atmos soundtracks or are there a select number that do?

Interested in case any of the BDP options I have for the HT room with the Marantz 7010 and 7.2.4 setup would work best.

I have a choice of the following units variously positioned around the house, and I'm not sure which one is the best. I don't want to, and shall not, buy another until the UHD-BDs are available in sufficient quantity and quality (or required IQ of the viewer - take your pick) to make the jump to 4K.

My choices, with their respective output choices are:

Samsung:

BD-J57C - HDMI + fibre optic

BD-F7500 - HDMI + fibre optic + 7.1 RCA

BD-C5500 - HDMI + fibre otpic + 5 channel RCA

BD-J5700 - HDMI + fibre optic

Sony:

BDP-S7200 - HDMI + coaxial

All of them are, I think wifi and / or wired ethernet equipped, so that's not an issue.

So which one is going to give me the best picture and which one If any of them) will give me Atmos sound?

Playback is via a Marantz 7010 receiver and Samsung 6-series 4K TV, all connected using Audioquest Chocolate HDMI cables.

Thanks.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that.

I'm using the Samsung BD-F7500 right now and I discovered I code turn off the audio decoding options on the BDP so it just sends the undecoded "morse code" to the receiver, which may be the case with most BDPs, I don't know for sure. The the receiver gives me four options to choose from for the audio codec, so as long as I've selected Atmos on the receiver and on the Blu-Ray disc menu I'm in business.

Game of Thrones Season 5 now plays in Atmos, which is great. All "just t&ts and dragons" as Ian McShane put it but I like it :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that.

I'm using the Samsung BD-F7500 right now and I discovered I code turn off the audio decoding options on the BDP so it just sends the undecoded "morse code" to the receiver, which may be the case with most BDPs, I don't know for sure. The the receiver gives me four options to choose from for the audio codec, so as long as I've selected Atmos on the receiver and on the Blu-Ray disc menu I'm in business.

Game of Thrones Season 5 now plays in Atmos, which is great. All "just t&ts and dragons" as Ian McShane put it but I like it :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts