Which SAMSUNG 4K BDP?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Specifically want a Samsung right now to cut down on the number of flaming remotes to loose.

7500 is $129 here
8500 is $199 here
9500 is $299 here

Which one do I get assuming I want to hook it up solely via an AVR?

Which one do I get assuming I want to be able to hook it up to BOTH the TV directly and to the AVR - for times when we don't want to blast the house with surround sound? I can use HDMI or fiber optic for audio BUT I will want full audio up to 7.2.4, not just 5.1

Are there any REALLY visible differences in the picture quality or playback?

This will initially go into the media room for use with a Samsung 6-series 65 inch 4K TV. If / when my numbers come up and I get my 4K (not faux-K) PJ and screen, it'll be moved to the living room and a better unit purchased.

Thanks...

D

Deleted member 2457

Benedict_Arnold said:
Specifically want a Samsung right now to cut down on the number of flaming remotes to loose.

7500 is $129 here 8500 is $199 here 9500 is $299 here

Which one do I get assuming I want to hook it up solely via an AVR?

Which one do I get assuming I want to be able to hook it up to BOTH the TV directly and to the AVR - for times when we don't want to blast the house with surround sound? I can use HDMI or fiber optic for audio BUT I will want full audio up to 7.2.4, not just 5.1

Are there any REALLY visible differences in the picture quality or playback?

This will initially go into the media room for use with a Samsung 6-series 65 inch 4K TV. If / when my numbers come up and I get my 4K (not faux-K) PJ and screen, it'll be moved to the living room and a better unit purchased.

Thanks...
The Samsung k8500 was on par with the Oppo 203 when I did a close comparison on my 65-inch TV. The mechanism is a little noisy and cranky but if you can put up with that you will be amply rewarded.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My research thus far shows:

The 7500 and 8500 both have single HDMIs, whereas the 9500 has two;

All have wired Ethernet but the 7500 doesn't have Wi-Fi - no big deal for me as the whole house has wired Ethernet.

The 8500 and 9500 have fiber optic audio puts, the 7500 doesn't.

So I need to find out whether the fiber optic audio out on the 8500 is 5.1, 7.1 or full Atoms / DTS-X / whatever.

Can anyone advise?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My research thus far shows:

The 7500 and 8500 both have single HDMIs, whereas the 9500 has two;

All have wired Ethernet but the 7500 doesn't have Wi-Fi - no big deal for me as the whole house has wired Ethernet.

The 8500 and 9500 have fiber optic audio outputs, the 7500 doesn't.

So I need to find out whether the fiber optic audio out on the 8500 is 5.1, 7.1 or full Atmos / DTS-X / whatever.

Can anyone advise?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So the K-8500 (2016 model) has dual HDMI outputs whereas the M8500 (2017 model) only has one.

Gel:

Was it just noisy while loading or during playback as well? Do you think it was just yours or a common issue?

D

Deleted member 2457

Benedict_Arnold said:
So the K-8500 (2016 model) has dual HDMI outputs whereas the M8500 (2017 model) only has one.

Gel:

Was it just noisy while loading or during playback as well? Do you think it was just yours or a common issue?
Yep, I had about 5 of them and they were all the same. Yep, the Oppo is just as noisy during playback. In the UK though it has 2 HDMI. Panasonic’s are the quietest.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

Gel:

Yep, I had about 5 of them and they were all the same. Yep, the Oppo is just as noisy during playback. In the UK though it has 2 HDMI. Panasonic’s are the quietest.
Hey Gel, I have to disagree with you i'm afraid, Yes I can hear the disc drawer open and close and disc load etc but during a movie it is totally quiet/indiscernable to us,my wife has paticularly sensitive hearing.Picture wise it is darn good. Panasonic ub900 though is very smooth in operation but double the price so has better chassis,damping etc.BTW, had my iPhone X since Weds and really impressed with it so far. Face ID is blazing Fast,swipe gestures are slick and easy to get used too.Deserves a 5* from me *biggrin*

D

Deleted member 2457

RodhasGibson said:
gel said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

Gel:

Hey Gel, I have to disagree with you i'm afraid, Yes I can hear the disc drawer open and close and disc load etc but during a movie it is totally quiet/indiscernable to us,my wife has paticularly sensitive hearing.Picture wise it is darn good. Panasonic ub900 though is very smooth in operation but double the price so has better chassis,damping etc.BTW, had my iPhone X since Weds and really impressed with it so far. Face ID is blazing Fast,swipe gestures are slick and easy to get used too.Deserves a 5* from me *biggrin*
Ah cheers buddy. Glad you are enjoying it.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So its down to either the K-8500 ($200 on Amazon) or the M-9500 ($280 on Amazon).

Is there any benefit in spending the extra $80 given I don't need Wi-Fi or a USB input?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Ended up getting the SONY UBP-X800.... So much for cutting down on the remotes.

Anyway, reduced from $300 to $150 plus tax (8.25%). So half the price (roughly) of the Sammy 9500 and a full THIRD of the price of the Panasonic.... And it has two HDMIs.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't you know it?

The Samsung 6-series in the media room doesn't "do" HDR.

Although we got a great picture and superb sound, we're not getting the full benefit.

Still only a couple of months until the after Super Bowl TV price cuts and or new models come out, so maybe by then there will be an affordable 100 incher....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts