Question Connecting up components to Sonus Arc soundbar for Dolby Atmos.

Haystack

Feb 16, 2021
Visit site
I am considering buying the Sonus Arc soundbar to replace my Panasonic SC-BT200 BlueRay 5.1 theatre system. Something which attracts me to this upgrade is when sources are available, being able to make use of the Dolby Atmos surround sound. Obviously one obstacle in achieving this is how I would connect up all my devices to the soundbar - most of which do not have Dolby Atmos built in but as you will see they do have Dolby Digital+. So if I am correct, I can still have surround sound via Digital+ but not Atmos?

Just wondering if I will need a 4K HDMI 2.2 splitter to achieve this? If so what type as there's lots to choose from?

I list the components below:-

TV - Samsung UE55JS9000TXXU (Built 2016). Does not support Dolby Atmos. Supports Dolby Digital+ and DTS premium sound 5.1. Has one HDMI ARC input connection- Not e-ARC. Has one Optical input. This TV has the 'One Connect' box.

Blu-ray Player - I am keeping the Panasonic SC-BT200 as I'm hoping I can use this as my Blu-ray player. I'm not sure if it can be used purely as a Blu-ray player for watching my old DVD's - after disconnecting the speaker wires??? It does not have Dolby Atmos but has Dolby Digital and DTS digital surround. Has one Optical digital output and a HDMI AV output connection.

Virgin Media V6 TV box - This can support Dolby Atmos when the source material has it. There is one HDMI output (connected to TV) and an Optical digital output.

Sonus Arc - has one HDMI input and one Optical input.

Any advice or help with how I will actually connect up all of this and the cables etc required will be most appreciated.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi There this the problem with the Sonos bars not enough connections as they rely on the TV as the hub.

I really don't know if I would recommend the use of a splitter as it uses you TV volume control to turn the bar up and down unless you want to use your phone/ipad. Not to mention I'm not really to sure how that would work unless you have a double output on the bluray/DVD player and they have enough handshake issues as it is.

Its one of those products that really a TV upgrade is in order to get the best out of it.
Everything is passed through and then you have to really look into it as not all will pass through the sound.

Basically, everything will need upgrading including the Bluray player it all has to be marked Dolby atmos

BUT why not just use it as it is, the Sonos i mean. Is atmos really that important?

Another product you could look at if you're an apple house is a pair of apple home pods, they're atmos ready. and if your Samsung is like mine it will connect to them via Bluetooth for tv sound. They sound pretty good in my office you could buy an apple 4k tv and a pair of home pod cheaper than a Sonos arc. Just an option.

Haystack

Feb 16, 2021
Visit site
Hi There this the problem with the Sonos bars not enough connections as they rely on the TV as the hub.

I really don't know if I would recommend the use of a splitter as it uses you TV volume control to turn the bar up and down unless you want to use your phone/ipad. Not to mention I'm not really to sure how that would work unless you have a double output on the bluray/DVD player and they have enough handshake issues as it is.

Its one of those products that really a TV upgrade is in order to get the best out of it.
Everything is passed through and then you have to really look into it as not all will pass through the sound.

Basically, everything will need upgrading including the Bluray player it all has to be marked Dolby atmos

BUT why not just use it as it is, the Sonos i mean. Is atmos really that important?

Another product you could look at if you're an apple house is a pair of apple home pods, they're atmos ready. and if your Samsung is like mine it will connect to them via Bluetooth for tv sound. They sound pretty good in my office you could buy an apple 4k tv and a pair of home pod cheaper than a Sonos arc. Just an option.

Thank you for your reply. I did suspect in order to get Atmos I would need to upgrade my TV and Blu-ray player. Since the TV is otherwise working perfectly and only four years old, I'm reluctant to spend out on a new TV. As far as I can find out the TV is not pass through.

Thank you for your suggestions but I'm not an Apple user. That's another issue with the Sonus Arc - the App only operates with an i-phone - nothing for Android.

Maybe going for something like the Yamaha YAS-207 would be a better option?

D

Deleted member 116933

Thank you for your reply. I did suspect in order to get Atmos I would need to upgrade my TV and Blu-ray player. Since the TV is otherwise working perfectly and only four years old, I'm reluctant to spend out on a new TV. As far as I can find out the TV is not pass through.

Thank you for your suggestions but I'm not an Apple user. That's another issue with the Sonus Arc - the App only operates with an i-phone - nothing for Android.

Maybe going for something like the Yamaha YAS-207 would be a better option?

It’s a problem as it relys heavily on the app for initial setup.

prehaps the yammy would be a better choice.
But forget about atoms unless you going to get new everything.

It's spelt as Sonos, not Sonus.

I don't think you can use the Panasonic for playing blu rays alone without the speakers. I may be wrong, so worth checking. At the moment, I would connect all the components to your TV via HDMI and then connect the TV via the ARC HDMI to the Sonos. You won't get Atmos as you'll need eARC for that.

Sonos Arc can be controlled via Android app as well. The only thing you can't do is Trueplay tuning, but you can borrow a friend's iPad or iPhone for it. It only needs to be done once.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts