Sony BDP S370 - DVD-Video = No???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All - Let me start of by saying i'm a newbie to the site. My first post in fact!

I've got a bit of an understanding on the subject matter (ie: blu-ray, what cables to use etc but wouldn't call myself knowledgeable by any means. Espeically when it comes to the sound bit).

My question specifically is regarding the Sony BDP S370. On this site itself it says one of the beneifts of the player is and I quote:"excellent DVD upscaling" yet on the Tech Specs page it says DVD-Video = No.

Surely this can't be the case? My understanding is DVD-Video is just plane normal DVD? I was hoping one of the existing owners can clarify/confirm?

Thanks

John Duncan

Ooo that's definitely a mistake, since it can most certainly play DVDs
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't know about the BDP S370 but - slightly related - I have read in lots of places (including WHF forums) that BluRay players are not as good as dedicated DVD players for DVD play back.

This worries me.

I plan one day to replace my Panasonic DVD/HDD/Freeview recorder for a Panasonic BD/HDD/FreeviewHD recorder. However I have no intention of replacing all my DVDs.

I also don't want to have to keep two boxes (one for DVD and one for BluRay).

A

Anonymous

im not sure about that chebby , the latest bdps play dvds very very well ..

perhaps , a high end dvd player from a couple of years back (doubt theyre making them anymore) would be very slightly better than the latest bdps , just maybe , but i think any differences would be so marginal as to make it a moot point ..

unless you are very very fussy and a little wealthy
emotion-15.gif

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

I don't know about the BDP S370 but - slightly related - I have read in lots of places (including WHF forums) that BluRay players are not as good as dedicated DVD players for DVD play back.

This worries me.

I plan one day to replace my Panasonic DVD/HDD/Freeview recorder for a Panasonic BD/HDD/FreeviewHD recorder. However I have no intention of replacing all my DVDs.

DMRBS750 available for £429 at the moment and the 850 for £529 which isn't bad.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

This worries me.

I have a Pioneer LX50, regarded as one of the best DVD players for the money

The S370 has better sound (Thats bitstreamed sound, so dont ask me why), and it upscales VERY well (After a 'run in' period)

A

Anonymous

I also have a BDP S 370 that bsitreams to my Yamaha 2065 RXV and I have to confess, it upscales better then my Denon 1940 and have a better sound in SACD. The DSD flow is sent to the Yam and really it's nice and aerated. With the Denon it's a bit more frutty if I'm using the multichannel output, but there is a lack of dynamics and that is a pity. For DVD and CD, the Denon is better. All are linked with QED performance HDMI and for CD the Denon is linked with a Qed coax also.

I wonder if I could get better sound with a Marantz UD... as I have another Hifi system using Marantz source and amplifier...

TRENDING THREADS