Sony BDP-S363 and Sony BDP-S360 Blu Ray Players

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

OK People so what would give a noticeable increase in picture quality over and above a PS3 or Sony BDPS360 or S363 on a 42in Samsung Plasma 1270 X 768 screen bearing in mind I would need to display at either 720p or 1080i and would it be worth spending say around £350.00 for the Sony BDP-S760 for example?

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
i have to agree with mathewpiano the bdps360 is a marked improvement over the ps3.

the 360 and 363 are the same model apart from the remote.

as you are only aiming for 720p and not full hd i would go for the 360/3 and i dont think you will see too much difference between the 360 and 760 at 720p, at 1080p that should be a different story. 1080p is a lot better than 1080i and 720p

think about it this way why would what hifi say the 360 is better than last years model and an improvement over panasonic bd 60 and the ps3 if all the blu ray players were the same.its like saying all speaker cables, interconnects and hdmi cables are the same.

i have the original ps3 60gb, i have also had a sony bdp 350 and a panasonic bd35 and i now have the sony bdp 360 which i think is the best one if only slightly better. you can also easily make the bdp 360 region free for dvd

also the ps3 outputs the sound via lpcm as it cannot bittream. dts ma and true hd sound better than lpcm with the right receiver.

i have 287 blu ray films to test my results on

and big boss if all the new blu ray players coming out are all the same then why buy what hifi and read there reviews and andrew and the what hifi team would be jobless.

what hifi have a million pound test room and they can tell the difference as i can and many others

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Well folks i have played with the sony bdps760 blu-ray player............................And wow what a massive step up from my old 60gig ps3.Even on my 32d3000 the diffrence is astounding.,also uses my 10 bit panel to full effect,I can see sharper,more colorfull insight with the picture.and loads more detail.blu-rays i tested were,hancock,gladiator,wall-e,cars,i-robot.Dvds look good as well,But im a firm beliver that you buy a blu-ray player for watching blu-rays.the so-called upscaling thing does not bother me.dvd is standard def,end of.But yes this is an amazing bit of kit,so its back in the shop.....with my name on for christmas.Audio wise its also very good but i could not tell any diffrance between the player decoding or my amp.But it was nice to see the pretty hd logos on my amp.

lee37:

also the ps3 outputs the sound via lpcm as it cannot bittream. dts ma and true hd sound better than lpcm with the right receiver.

and big boss if all the new blu ray players coming out are all the same then why buy what hifi and read there reviews and andrew and the what hifi team would be jobless.

what hifi have a million pound test room and they can tell the difference as i can and many others

The newer PS3 also bitstreams audio.

I don't want to question what hi-fi test results. If they say all blu-ray players look the same, who will buy their magazines? They're certainly a good guide to buying your system.

All I can say is that blu-ray is a digital source. If you check online, there have been a lot of blind tests between blu-ray players, & no one could actually tell a difference between the cheaper & the more expensive blu-ray players. I can't tell a difference between my PS3, my Panasonic BD60 & my friend's Denon 2500BT. Neither can my friend.

There's something known as a placebo effect.....that's all that is. Do a genuine blind test & you'll be surprised by the results.

What about having a blind test at the what hi-fi test room? I'll certainly be interested to participate.

To those who can tell a difference between players, good for you. It'll certainly give you more pleasure in thinking that you have a superior player, & all that extra money was well worth the purchase.

I'm happy with a cheaper player. I don't think I'm naive about picture quality. I've got the KRP 500A for a reason, after 6 months of researching and viewing many TVs. I know the difference between HD & SD picture quality, the advantage of deep blacks, what's natural rendition of colours & why the KRP 500A is easily the best TV ever to be made.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts