Sony BDP-S363 and Sony BDP-S360 Blu Ray Players

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just been in to my local Sony Shop and they have a Sony BDP-S363 for £179.99

They also advised me that while they no longer stock the Sony BDP-S360 that the BDP-S363 is exaclty the same player using the same laser and transport system teh only difference being that the BDP-S363 has a remote control that lights up in the dark

They also advised that while the BDP-S363 comes ready with up to date Firmware that for future updates all you have to do is to connect an Ethernet cable between it and your ADSL or Cable Router and it will automatically update in a few minutes

I can get get the BDP-S360 for around £135.00 form the likes of Amazon but as my Sony Shop is just down the road would be prepared to pay the extra just in case I need to return it

Finally they also advise me that I can set the BDP-S363 to 720p if necessary

Can anyone verify these bits of information?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I didn't know about this until I was informed on a Forum thread a while back that the 363 is a Sony shop exclusive version of the 360.

The 360 offers the same network update facility, and also allows the output resolution to be adjusted.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew

I think I shall indulge myself with the S363 for Christmas

Amazon has the best returns policy around. Even better than the Sony shop. Only last month, I returned an 18-month old Sony Vaio laptop back to Amazon (because the motherboard went bust after warranty had expired). They refunded me the full amount plus postage, as per the European Law. No questions asked. Ask your Sony dealer if he would accept your player if it goes bust after 1 year.

Also, if you want to return you player, Amazon arranges for the player to be collected from your house for free by DHL.

A

Anonymous

Thanks bigboss...I always thought it may prove a bit more difficult to return such equipment to the likes of Amazon etc...still you've had a good experience with them so might just save myself £45 (which will enable me to get a Wireworld 5 Hdmi cable for the difference) and get it with Amazon...they also charge £8.80 extra for next day delivery so might just do that too

Before I do take the plunge though I just want some advice as to whether or not the S360 is a step up from a PS3 for both Blu Ray and DVD picture quality especially as my DVD library currently exceeds that of my Blu Rays

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew

I think I shall indulge myself with the S363 for Christmas

How much extra for the 363 or the back light on the remote, same difference isn't it?? Buy the 360 - excellenty machine, excellent value.

Vance

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Or you could preorder the 360 from Blockbuster with four free films which are Terminator Salvation, Night at the Museum 2, Angels and Demons and Slumdog Millionaire for £149.99 with free postage.

A

Anonymous

Have been looking at the John Lewis online website too...it's £161.00 from there which is £27 more than Amazon and £11.00 more than blockbuster but they're giving a 2 year guarantee on it which for an extra £27.00 (plus £6.75 for a named day delivery which is cheaper than the Amazon's Express Delivery charges) seems quite reasonable

Tallyho:

Thanks bigboss...I always thought it may prove a bit more difficult to return such equipment to the likes of Amazon etc...still you've had a good experience with them so might just save myself £45 (which will enable me to get a Wireworld 5 Hdmi cable for the difference) and get it with Amazon...they also charge £8.80 extra for next day delivery so might just do that too

Before I do take the plunge though I just want some advice as to whether or not the S360 is a step up from a PS3 for both Blu Ray and DVD picture quality especially as my DVD library currently exceeds that of my Blu Rays

Thanks

Hmmm.......now that's debatable. I personally have not found any difference between my PS3 & my Panasonic BD60. I use my TV to upscale DVDs. The only reason I went for the Panasonic was because I wanted a player that can play multiregion DVDs. Some users have reported a troublesome fan noise from PS3 (especially a problem if not well ventilated). If I'm not bothered about multiregion DVDs, I would prefer a PS3, simply for its sheer versatility.

Tallyho:Have been looking at the John Lewis online website too...it's £161.00 from there which is £27 more than Amazon and £11.00 more than blockbuster but they're giving a 2 year guarantee on it which for an extra £27.00 (plus £6.75 for a named day delivery which is cheaper than the Amazon's Express Delivery charges) seems quite reasonable

John Lewis will price match Richer Sounds' price of £139. Again, John Lewis is renowned for its after sales support.

A

Anonymous

Maybe I will then have to look at something like the
Pioneer BDP-320

matthewpiano

The BDP-S360/363 is substantially better at playing blu-rays than the PS3.

The only difference between the 360 and 363 is the backlit remote. I've got one (a '363) and I think its a really good machine, both when upscaling DVDs and when playing blu-ray discs.

matthewpiano:The BDP-S360/363 is substantially better at playing blu-rays than the PS3.

It's certainly not 'substiantially' better. Many of us like to believe that that is the case, after having purchased a blu-ray player despite having a PS3. However, a simple blind test proves that blu-ray playback is essentially the same across all players, be it a PS3, or a Sony S360, an Oppo or even a Denon AU1D. I couldn't find any difference between my PS3 & Panasonic BD60.

Will is another member of this forum who did a blind test of the players I mentioned above (Sony S350 instead of S360). Even he, who was famous on this forum for his fervent support for the Oppo, conceded that the Sony S350 is just as good as the Oppo, as well as the PS3.

Check Will Smith's posts.

The only 3 reasons to really go for a standalone blu-ray player instead of a PS3 is:

1) If you want a multiregion player

2) If you want a player capable of playing SACDs & DVD-As

3) If you can't stand the PS3 fan noise

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
The 60gig ps3 will play sacds and it does a very good job at it to.I think the sony bdps760 and bdp1100es blu-ray players would be far better with blu-rays then the good ole ps3(i own a 60gig ps3 and love it to bits) so im going to borrow a bdps760 from work.I truly love this machine,and selling load that i demo to people,And it will match the 10 panel on my kdl32d3000 tv.so will wait and see.

matthewpiano

bigboss:
matthewpiano:The BDP-S360/363 is substantially better at playing blu-rays than the PS3.

It's certainly not 'substiantially' better. Many of us like to believe that that is the case, after having purchased a blu-ray player despite having a PS3. However, a simple blind test proves that blu-ray playback is essentially the same across all players, be it a PS3, or a Sony S360, an Oppo or even a Denon AU1D. I couldn't find any difference between my PS3 & Panasonic BD60.

Will is another member of this forum who did a blind test of the players I mentioned above (Sony S350 instead of S360). Even he, who was famous on this forum for his fervent support for the Oppo, conceded that the Sony S350 is just as good as the Oppo, as well as the PS3.

Check Will Smith's posts.

The only 3 reasons to really go for a standalone blu-ray player instead of a PS3 is:

1) If you want a multiregion player

2) If you want a player capable of playing SACDs & DVD-As

3) If you can't stand the PS3 fan noise

Sorry but I disagree. Thats the same as the rubbish that was spouted about all CD players sounding the same. Complete nonsense. Of course, being able to see the differences does depend on the quality and size of the screen, just as hearing the difference between different CD players depends on the transparency of the amp/speaker combination.

sonycentre:The 60gig ps3 will play sacds and it does a very good job at it to.I think the sony bdps760 and bdp1100es blu-ray players would be far better with blu-rays then the good ole ps3(i own a 60gig ps3 and love it to bits) so im going to borrow a bdps760 from work.I truly love this machine,and selling load that i demo to people,And it will match the 10 panel on my kdl32d3000 tv.so will wait and see.

Let me know what you think about the S760. I'm quite interested in it, for its wi-fi capability.

It's really strange that Sony doesn't even mention this player, & the S560 on its website, not even in the press releases, despite the S760 being available for a while now.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
I will let you know big boss,yes it is strange that its not on the sony website,but i do know that sony are updating the sony uk website at 7am tomorrow morning,And in a lot of ways i do agree with matthew,when you match the right equipment together,sound or vision the rewards can be immence.But its all down to state of mind as well,belive me we have had people in our store that cant tell the diffrence with hd or sd pictures and diffrences in tvs.its head scratching sometimes.

As I said, I cannot tell any difference between my Panasonic BD60 & my PS3. All connections, everything else is the same. The TV used was the best TV on this planet; the KRP 500A (professionally calibrated). See my equipment below, which I used. This is a result of my own blind test, which I did after Will did his & reported some interesting results.

If you can notice a difference, good for you.

And yes, I can tell a difference between a quality CD player, & a rubbish one.

matthewpiano

sonycentre:I will let you know big boss,yes it is strange that its not on the sony website,but i do know that sony are updating the sony uk website at 7am tomorrow morning,And in a lot of ways i do agree with matthew,when you match the right equipment together,sound or vision the rewards can be immence.But its all down to state of mind as well,belive me we have had people in our store that cant tell the diffrence with hd or sd pictures and diffrences in tvs.its head scratching sometimes.

Yep. The two favourites are those who can't tell the difference between HD and SD, and those who can't see how much better the V5500 is than the S5500. Nothing wrong with it, of course, and that is why there is a choice of models, but I can't contemplate not being able to discern between the S and V because there is such a huge quality gap between them in picture, sound and build.

D

Deleted member 2457

emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

So...If the BDS360 or 363 machines are not a marked step uf from my PS3 might as well stick with the PS3 ..no point in wasting money I guess if there's no upgrade in the picture quality

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

bigboss:Check Will Smith's posts.

Will Smith posts here?

uh-oh, looks like you've been 'flashy thinged'...

Please do not post copyright images - MODS

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts