Sony BD player with SACD output help

efiste2

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for a new BD player that can play SACD 5.1 format. I have received a copy of my favourite cd that is in SACD 5.1 format, but my current Sony BD S360 doesn't support it. I also have a couple of questions about the SACD format itself. From a little reading I gather SACD format can only be connected between the source and amp via a dedicated 5.1 connection , my amp has a dedicated 5.1 input (5 phono plugs plus sub) , how do modern BD players that are capable of playing SACD format output the signal, in terms of connection.

Apologies for my nievity I am very out of date with my AV knowledge,

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Either an HDMI cable to a suitable receiver or a dedicated set of 5.1 outputs (phono/RCA). Most new players tend to rely on HDMI. The Oppo unit I have has both.

What amplification are you intending to use?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
To answer your questions....

1. Yes the sacd format requires a 5.1 channel output connection from the player to an a/v amp with the same connection such as your existing amp has.

2. Modern bd players output SACD through their HDMI output to a compatible HDMI input on modern a/ v amps.

Unfortunately for you, nearly all new bluray players have done away with the 5.1 connection on the rear and only high end machines still have them.

My advice is to look on eBay or other auction sites for a secondhand Sony, Marantz or Pioneer DVD/ SACD player as this would be cheaper than having to buy a new a/v amp and bluray player.

Hope this helps

efiste2

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
my amp is the humble and somewhat elderley SONY HT-K215, but it still performs well and sounds great. So I dont want to upgrade at this time, so Looks like SACD is no go for me. Thanks for your expert advice chaps

One option to explore is to keep your existing system, and get a cheap CD player with SACD capability, and connect it to the AV receiver via optical. I'm not sure whether this will work for 5.1 surround.

Edit: A quick Google search suggests optical will not support SACD 5.1.

efiste2

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Looks like my wishes of hearing "brothers in arms" in SACD 5.1 are dead in the water, without a total update of my AV gear, THANKS anyway for you assistance its very much appreciated!!!!

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
please try mine and bigboss's suggestion of finding a cheap secondhand sacd player with 5.1 phono connections to use with your existing amp.

I have listened to the "brothers in arms" SACD and can tell you that it sounds awesome in surround.

*dance4*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
efiste2 said:
my amp is the humble and somewhat elderley SONY HT-K215

I don't know your amplifier, I'm afraid. Does it receive audio via an HDMI input. Failing that, as has been suggested, eBay and gumtree are your friends in getting a second-hand Blu-Ray or CD players that has 5.1 analogue outputs and which will play SACDs. How much money are you prepared to spend on a new player?

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
It looks like you need a SACD player with analogue outputs. I have the Brothers In Arms SACD which I can only play back in 2 channel stereo from my Bluray/SACD palyer RCA outputs, and I only have a 2 channel stereo amplifier. It still sounds incredible!

Much improved over the original standard CD, I wish SACD was more popular. It does give a very 3D soundstage with incredible clarity and dynamics.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts