sony 40w5500 vs panasonic plasma g10

cmf

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
these are my two finalists, ok I know whathifi slated the w5500 for masive backlight issues but it seems sony may have improved this as other sites are rating this tv very highly.

at the moment the sony is in pole position, here why: the panasonic g10 has been getting great reviews from several other sites but heres is the thing it turns out majority of these sites are reviewing the european version which has extra gama control and thx certification. As the uk versions does not seem to have these the picture performance is not as good .

another negative for the panasonic is the glass reflective screen. I was watching newcastle bow out of the premiership today on a similar tv with glass screen and I must admit the reflections were very noticeable and annoying.

the other factor is that the 42" g10 uses about 200-350w of electricity vs 133w-175w on the 40" sony.

negatives for the sony are the back light bleed issues and the viewing angle.

i know the g10 has freesat as a bonus but this is of no interest to me.

sony 40w5500 cost £849 vs £ 919 for g10

So i guess i am hoping you guys can help me out and discuss which you think is best and why?

I am not trying to start a plasma versus lcd war, just want to get some input from owners of these two tv's

A

Anonymous

personallly i prefer plasma as to me they are a better all rounder, but i have not yet seen the up to date all singing all dancing lcd / led screens. If you dont have any windows behind you and you are carefull about lighting then the glass screen is not too much of a concern.

I have a previous model of the panasonic and its a fantastic set. I do have windows behind my seating position and it does cause a little annoyance during the day (watching footy), but then again you can always pull the curtains.

The best advice anyone can give you is go see them for yourself.

cmf

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
thanks Gander

i have been to see both tv's and played around with the settings and i guess both looked good,but because they were in a retail shop being feed picture from a crapy signal it really wasnt that useful.

and about the reflection i tend to watch tv with a lamp switched on in the room, will this also be as reflective as daylight

are the any owners of these tvs that can talk about their cons and pros

Picture performance of the UK version of G10 plasma is also very good. Check the review on this site. Both the TVs are very good, and you won't go wrong with either of these. Personally, I would prefer a plasma for its superior picture quality. As regards to the reflection, it really depends on where the lamp is placed. It's usually not much of an issue.

A

Anonymous

put a mirror in front of your current tv , and sit where you normally would , if you can see the lamp in the reflection, you will notice it with a plasma , it is distracting , but you could angle the tv a bit or move the lamp , its no big deal...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
cmf:
thanks Gander

i have been to see both tv's and played around with the settings and i guess both looked good,but because they were in a retail shop being feed picture from a crapy signal it really wasnt that useful.

and about the reflection i tend to watch tv with a lamp switched on in the room, will this also be as reflective as daylight

are the any owners of these tvs that can talk about their cons and pros

No big deal. I have a plasma in an often bright room and whilst reflections can be seen it rarely detracts from the garbage that is broadcast during daytime, seeing my own reflection is often the highlight ... Like you I always use some sort of lighting in the evening and it's not a problem. Quite the opposite sometimes, the glass of a plasma (or Samsungs latest led/lcd's) can add to the depth and lustre of a picture which the matt plastic screens of other makes can't quite do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts