Question 4K TV - does an old avr & br player hold it back?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a separate (to my 2 channel) 7.1 home cinema system with a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV.
Whilst there is nothing wrong with the TV, I fancy a larger screen & better picture quality and have been looking at 65" TV's.
Based on the budget I set, I have my sights on a Sony Bravia KD65XH9505BU (LED screen) which was demoed to me in Curry's (not that I am tied to purchasing with them).

My main question is will my 2012 Onkyo TX NR606 avr and Panasonic blue ray player of similar age hold me back in terms of picture quality?
Whilst we do watch some blu rays and old dvd's, we mainly stream from Amazon Prime and i player etc (using Chromecast).
So will the avr in particular hold me back?
Will this all be pointless unless I upgrade the avr?

I've also read that the Sony mentioned above has some issues with the ARC function and can lose the connection.
Anyone with experience of this model used in conjunction with ARC and an avr, any thoughts or experiences?

Just to add, I have the budget to replace the avr and blu ray if needed - its part of my upgrade plan, but for now I just want to understand more about the limitations of older kit with a new 4k TV.
(thanks)

D

Deleted member 2457

I currently have a separate (to my 2 channel) 7.1 home cinema system with a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV.
Whilst there is nothing wrong with the TV, I fancy a larger screen & better picture quality and have been looking at 65" TV's.
Based on the budget I set, I have my sights on a Sony Bravia KD65XH9505BU (LED screen) which was demoed to me in Curry's (not that I am tied to purchasing with them).

My main question is will my 2012 Onkyo TX NR606 avr and Panasonic blue ray player of similar age hold me back in terms of picture quality?
Whilst we do watch some blu rays and old dvd's, we mainly stream from Amazon Prime and i player etc (using Chromecast).
So will the avr in particular hold me back?
Will this all be pointless unless I upgrade the avr?

I've also read that the Sony mentioned above has some issues with the ARC function and can lose the connection.
Anyone with experience of this model used in conjunction with ARC and an avr, any thoughts or experiences?

Just to add, I have the budget to replace the avr and blu ray if needed - its part of my upgrade plan, but for now I just want to understand more about the limitations of older kit with a new 4k TV.
(thanks)
I still got my Pioneer sc-lx81 amp from 2008 and use it with a 8k Samsung QLED TV. Everything works great. I do have a 4K Blu-Ray player which I would recommend something like the Sony X700 4K Blu-Ray player for under £200 will be a very good choice.

I have heard you now get a Apple TV App with that Sony TV. If you wanted just to buy 4K HDR films from the Apple App that could be a good choice. I am myself having been doing that and they’re really cheap!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I still got my Pioneer sc-lx81 amp from 2008 and use it with a 8k Samsung QLED TV. Everything works great. I do have a 4K Blu-Ray player which I would recommend something like the Sony X700 4K Blu-Ray player for under £200 will be a very good choice.

I have heard you now get a Apple TV App with that Sony TV. If you wanted just to buy 4K HDR films from the Apple App that could be a good choice. I am myself having been doing that and they’re really cheap!
Hi gel, I hope you are well, and thanks for your reply.
That's useful to know that you are still using your Pioneer and you don't think it's 'holding you back'.
And thanks for the tip re the Sony, a 4k blu ray player will be on my list once I have purchased a new tv.

What's really cheap by the way?
I am a bit tight and never purchase films, always going for the free stuff on Amazon prime or the other streaming apps. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi gel, I hope you are well, and thanks for your reply.
That's useful to know that you are still using your Pioneer and you don't think it's 'holding you back'.
And thanks for the tip re the Sony, a 4k blu ray player will be on my list once I have purchased a new tv.

What's really cheap by the way?
I am a bit tight and never purchase films, always going for the free stuff on Amazon prime or the other streaming apps. :)
Thanks mate I am good.

Apple TV App is really cheap for films and is on the Sony TV you want.

Reactions: jonathanRD

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts