TV noob looking for some setup advice: Sony Bravia KD48A9

Boo

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi!

It's been a loooong time since I last bought a TV. We had a 37" Panasonic plasma that cost as much as my first car, but it's been on the blink for a while and we finally took the plunge and replaced it. A shiny new Sony Bravia 48" KD48A9 arrived yesterday.

It's all plumbed in, but I note from the What Hi-Fi review...

"Straight out of the box, the A9 is cautious in its delivery, seemingly reluctant to deliver the sort of dazzling contrast we’ve come to expect from great HDR signals. After a bit of tweaking, that issue is solved, and as we fire up Blade Runner 2049 we’re delighted to see the film’s bright red and white text appear on the perfectly black screen with serious punch and purity."

I'm a bit wary of fiddling with the settings in case I make a right hash of it, so I'm just wondering if someone could advise what 'tweaking' would be beneficial?

Thanks very much!

Boo

Is there any type of on screen guide to settings? Some TVs will display still shots and diagrams for you to use. Otherwise, just use a good quality studio feed like BBC news and a live outside broadcast, perhaps sport.
Theatre and Movie setting just look mushy and warm to me, but there should be a restore, default or reset option if you get lost.

Which? Magazine give suggested settings so I’ll try to find if they’ve tested your Sony.

Try this:-
HDR.....On
Brightness....50
Colour.............56
Contrast........90
Profile..Standard
Sharpness......60
Backlight........46

If you’re nervous and can’t find the reset, jot down or photograph the settings before you start playing!

Reactions: Boo

TRENDING THREADS