Sonus or not ?

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi, as discussed before, I've got all my CDs ripped to a Synolgy NAS, in Apple Lossless format.

I have to have my laptop turned on to access my iTunes library, on the NAS.

What do I need to buy to just read the music on the NAS, without having to have the laptop on ?

My hifi is located in one room, this has a ATV3 connected to it, via the DAC.

Whilst my 5.1 system is in the lounge, with a ATV2.

Can I buy a Sonus Connect to read the NAS and play into my hifi ?

I obviously do not know how the Sonus product works, so any constructive advice, as always will be gratefully received.

Regards Richard

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Sonos. And yes it will / yes you can. Just make sure it or a Sonos bridge is hard wired to your network, then setup is a question of installing software and pressing a few buttons, a doddle.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm in almost the same situation but want to understand if there's an alternative...

I have a Synology NAS with all my Media on it and I need *SOMETHING* to get the music from the NAS to my Yamaha RXV2600 AMP/Receiver. I'd like to do this via an iOS (iPhone/Pad) interface, rather than having to fire up a PC or other device like a television where I need to switch on a screen (Yes I know an iPad has a screen but I hope you get what I mean) .

I understand that an ATV won't do it, as it won't pull music from a NAS, only have it "pushed" from an iOS device - where my music WON'T be!

I can't believe that Sonos is the only option, but it seems to be the only thing that's recommended and will do the job.

Any other views? I've scoured the net and am now confused and uncertain which way to go.... I've seen Roku and Boxee Box and a host of others which seem geared up for Visual Media. As I said I don't want to switch on a TV screen.

Thanks,
J.

A Sonos Connect is the perfect option for you. Just connect it to your Yamaha receiver. After a recent update, it can also play songs directly off your iPhone / iPad wirelessly.

A jailbroken ATV2 can also be used, but is very expensive. The latest ATV (ATV3) has not been reliably jailbroken yet (although some recent reports claim otherwise).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jjselwood said:
I can't believe that Sonos is the only option, but it seems to be the only thing that's recommended and will do the job.

Why are you resistant to Sonos, as BB says, the Connect is the ideal option, you won't even need to run any additional software on your NAS, unlike every other streamer on the market?

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
Isn't there a Synology app for iOS that would allow the music to be pulled by the iThingy and Airtuned to the ATVs? Would save any further expenditure.

Yes, you can of course do this by downloading the relevant Synology Apps (DS Audio) and then Airplay the music on your NAS through the Apple TV to your Yamaha amp. Would be very effective.

I had the similar situation about 2 years ago. I have an Airport Express direct to my Sony amp for music, which works very well and use the above App to stream music from my NAS to the amp (and Soundcloud, which is excellent).

I also took the plunge and bought an S3 and Bridge, for the dinning room. I must say Sonos has done an excellent job. The Sonos app is excellent and the only thing that was missing was the recent upgrade to be able to Airplay from an iPhone/Pad. Can't complain at all.

There will be concerns from some that the output of both the Sonos and potentially the Airport Express/ATV are not able to stream the top bit rates, but to be honest I get a little lost on all that. The music quality appears to be pretty spot on I think, something I'm sure DACs would help improve (which will be my next purchase!)

I'm really happy with my setup - bit overkill for some, but 'works' in my life!

Good luck!

PJ

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
jjselwood said:

Why are you resistant to Sonos, as BB says, the Connect is the ideal option, you won't even need to run any additional software on your NAS, unlike every other streamer on the market?

Hi - I'm not resistant to the Sonos; although I can see that my "I can't believe" statement would make you think I was. I just didn't want to overlook something I was unaware of which would have been better...

Thanks for all the replies everyone, they're all very clear. I think Sonos will be the way ahead for me. I don't have an ATV at the moment and won't need one to stream my video, so I'll just get the Connect and perhaps add some other zones onto the Sonos network as and when I get the urge!

Cheers,

J.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I am a happy sonos user, but it doesn't do hi res which annoys me a little. It is excellent at what it does tho.

Another option which isn't available yet but looks like it could be great, is the olive one

http://www.myoliveone.com

TRENDING THREADS