Songs with great drums

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Dear All,

I would like some recommendations on songs with great drums. A few come to mind such as Pink Floyd-Money, Wish You Were Here and Kings of Leon-True Love Way, Radiohead-idiosyncratic. Any suggestions are welcome.

Best Regards,

Shafin Eskander

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Rush? YYZ

Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit

The Police? Message in a bottle

Red Hot Chilli Peppers? Give it away

Slayer? Raining blood

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Bat for Lashes ~ Glass. A top track and the drumming is complex and very interesting, i use it as a demo track as it takes a well balanced system to get the drums and the soaring vocal right. The whole album is excellent if you get a chance.

Anything from Joey Waronker on Becks ~ Modern Guilt album, another of my demo albums or the new Norah Jones for something more mellow but with definite Beck traits, top notch drummer.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Good question.

Drums are rarely well recorded IMHO.

Personal favourites are:

Indiscipline on the King Crimson Discipline album. The drumming at the beginning of this track puts most recordings to shame.

The Dance on the Volcano/Los Endos twin drum solo on Genesis Seconds Out.

Billy Cobham is a superb drummer - his work is well recorded on Stanley Clarke Live at the Greek

Exshopguy

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Paul Simon - Late in the evening. Great percussive drumming.

Diana Ross - I'm coming out. Great drums if you can get past the stigma of listening to it loud!

Thin Lizzy - Emerald/Don't believe a word. (from the live album) Awesome fast, powerful drumming with great solos.

Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein. Good examples of pretty much every rock instrument!

F

FunkyMonkey

All noble but predictable suggestions.

How about somethign that has been often copied (and sampled) but never bettered?

Funky Drummer by James Brown et al.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to add, Metallica-Enter Sandman, Unforgiven 2----Needless to say the drummer is fan-freakin-tastic. Also, Staind-Outside, not the most complex drum performance but its well recorded enough to enjoy immensely.

Exshopguy

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Oops, I meant Thin Lizzy "Warriors" from the Live and Dangerous album. That's the one with the great drum solo, after Don't Belive a Word on the album.

idc

And So I Watch You From Afar - Eat The City, Eat It Whole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9cuqezmOh4

Battles - Atlas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ7dDlkYUkI

Tortoise - Crest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNRY1JmGtvw

The post rock scene has some of the most unusual, imaginative drumming I have heard, a mix of rock and jazz.

Martinblueboy

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks, Since I've Loving You (with the squeaky bass drum pedal!)

Anything by Porcupine Tree where Gavin Harrison plays. (In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, The Incident).

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Just buy Led Zep's Physical Graffiti album, that's about as good as rock drumming gets.

Another suggestion would be Ben Harper's The Will To Live album.

One off song? Dave Clark 5's Bits and Pieces

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Anything by Can - but try the opening track from the album Future Days, called, unsurprisingly perhaps, Future Days. All about the percussion, beautifully rhythmic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6zn89O1P7A

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
The Stone Roses: I am the resurrection. 8 minutes of sustained brilliance from Reni.

Anything from Rage against the machine's debut album.

Anything that Dave Grohl plays on.

Also check out "The Consultancy" by Amplifier. Great evolving synchonicity between vocals, guitars, and drums.

A

Anonymous

Check out the new Rush CD - Clockwork Angels, some fantasic druming on there, most of it one take.

Tool, Danny Carey is superb. Check out Lateralus (title track) as an example. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts