Songs with great drums

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Can anyone beat the fantastic recordings made of John Bonhams drums in Led Zeppelin?

Try "Good times bad times" or "When the levee breaks".

Knock your socks off. :rofl:

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking Cozy Powell on Rainbow's Rising album.

Try Stargazer or A Light in the Black. Thundering Drums are prominent and really help define these tracks.

Also epic mastercrafts from Ritchie Blackmore, Ronnie James Dio and Tony Carey, not to mention Jimmy Bain on Bass.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Aja by Steely Dan: drums by the great Steve Gadd. Maybe unfashionable these days, but Pick Withers, in the early Dire Straits, sounds amazing on Sultans of Swing. Listen to the cymbal work.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Me Myself I - Joan Armatrading. The whole album really, with some particularly powerful drum hits on the opening track. Drums are really pushed to the fore in the mix. So much so that at times the album comes across a drum solo with backing instruments and vocals. Still, an enjoyable album with a fine set of songs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
How about some tracks that are all drumming (and a serious system workout) - Monochrome and Koku from the "The best of Kodo"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Of-Kodo/dp/B0000251IG

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
Sing Sing Sing With a Swing. Benny Goodman Orchestra (Drummer Gene Krupa)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=r2S1I_ien6A&vq=medium (Music only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTzP7ecGQiw (Extract from the film 'Hollywood Hotel" 1937)

Damn, you pinched the no-1 :clap:

Cream (Ginger Baker on skins) - Sunshine Of Your Love and Toad

The Power Station (Tony Thompson, RIP, on...) - Some Like It Hot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgDbK4WCjMUAntony & the Johnsons (Todd Cohen on...) - Twilight

Stevie Wonder (Dennis Davis) - Master Blaster (Jammin')

The Police (Stewart Copeland) - The Bed's Too Big Without You

Siouxsie And The Banshees (Budgie) - Spellbound

Japan (Steve Jansen) - Visions Of China

A

Anonymous

Some Jazz greats,

Max Roach (of course)

Jack Dejohnette

and Sex Mob are one of my favorite bands with a superb drummer.

-N-

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Boredoms most recent stuff - 2 crazy Japanese drummers going at it hell for leather. Awesome live experience, not so great off youtube, but still!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sPxde77NRE

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
No one seems to have mentioned the Foo Fighters yet, so I'm putting forward Taylor Hawkins. Too many tracks to mention really, as the guy is not too far off Dave Grohl's level.

Speaking of Dave Grohl, his drumming for Nirvana was great, and various bits and bobs he's done for Tenacious D (Tribute) and others, but his best stuff has to be for Queens Of The Stone Age (No One Knows) and particularly Them Crooked Vultures. I know their debut album split opinion, but you only have to listen to the complicated, ever changing drum patterns to appreciate how inventive and effortless Grohl is. It's just a shame he wanted the limelight, as he's a far better drummer than he is a guitar player.

Chad Smith is worth mentioning also. I forget the individual tracks to be able to pick out specifics, but Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik is the album to check out for his best stuff, as far as I'm concerned.

Rainbow's Stargazer is worth mentioning with the legend that is Cozy Powell.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Most bands that any of us love, whether we're into jazz, prog, experimental, metal, krautrock, trance, indie, blah blah - the drumming is going to be pretty damn awesome. It's easy to get into musicianship for the sake of it. It's the coming together of a bunch of creative people that makes the magic.

I remember many years ago listening to some crazy freeform jazz with a guy at university who didn't really like the stuff (which I understand, bands like Amm and Borbetomagus can make little sense to most folk) and him being really obsessed with whether or not any of them could actually play their instruments. He was really into John Coltrane's blue period stuff (which I kinda like but is a bit tame for me) so I played him some of Coltrane's blowier freeform stuff, and I could tell he wanted to hate it but didn't want to admit it cos he knew that Coltrane is a virtuoso.

Probably gone a bit off topic from the OP, but isn't the drumming on any track you love pretty much the best drumming ever at point of listening?

Sure, Bonham and Moon were great drummers, but really was Dave Lovering any less exciting when belting out the relatively simple beats to the great Pixies tracks? I know through experience that many apparently technically deficient drummers have belted out fantastic rhythms to some of my favourite music ever, while some technically excellent drummers leave me totally cold.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
cover_3054171512009.jpg
you're the biggest thing since powdered milk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts