something completely different (cables actually)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just purchased a Yamaha RXV 1065 and Kef 2005.3 K1 speaker package.

I have a roll of speaker cable at home that i bought from Richer Sounds, 10 years ago. I assume this speaker cable will still be good. Surely cable doesn't go off, does it?

Do I have to use the same type of cable for each speaker or can I mix brands?

Do the speaker cables all have to be the same length?

What cable do i buy to connect the amp to the subwoofer?

I apologise in advance for these questions. This is my first home cinema system and due to finances I must ensure I purchase right first time, I also must work to a budget so please don't recommend million dollar cables.

I look forward to your replies.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
brendanm:
I have just purchased a Yamaha RXV 1065 and Kef 2005.3 K1 speaker package.
I have a roll of speaker cable at home that i bought from Richer Sounds, 10 years ago. I assume this speaker cable will still be good. Surely cable doesn't go off, does it?

No but you probably want to chop the last inch or so off each end as it may well have oxidised in that time.

Do I have to use the same type of cable for each speaker or can I mix brands?

You can mix brands front to back (ie use a different brand for the rear speakers compared to the front) but it's probably not a good idea to have the fronts on different brands.

Do the speaker cables all have to be the same length?

Not necessarily, it's often advised to have the front left and rights the same length, in theory the length of the speaker cable affects the impedance presented to the amp, in practice you're not likely to notice, especially for home cinema.

What cable do i buy to connect the amp to the subwoofer?

Would you believe a subwoofer cable? It's basically a single RCA phono cable (which will do the job just as well) but you'll find a number of manufacturers selling specific "subwoofer cables" probably for twice the price...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
New cable has to be used within 2 years of purchase otherwise it'll disintegrate when you fire up the system.

Only joking. Or am I?

It'll not be expensive stuff, but it should be fine. I'd keep your front left and right similar lengths, but rear speakers are always going to be longer lengths in relation to the fronts (if the amp is at the front), so don't worry, just keep the rear two a similar length - don't go putting 3m on one and 20m on the other! Centre speakes are usually about a metre if the amp is on an AV rack at the front. I'd not normally recommend mixing brands.

For the sub you'll need a single phono to single phono cable (like an interconnect, but one instead of two).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:....but you'll find a number of manufacturers selling specific "subwoofer cables" probably for twice the price...But I did find out fairly recently that they are slightly different. But now I've forgotten. Something to do with they don't solder the return/ground one end or something. Maybe the opposite. I've slept since then.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:the_lhc:....but you'll find a number of manufacturers selling specific "subwoofer cables" probably for twice the price...But I did find out fairly recently that they are slightly different. But now I've forgotten. Something to do with they don't solder the return/ground one end or something. Maybe the opposite. I've slept since then.
Really? Be interested if you could find out, perhaps this might explain why some people's subs hum and others don't?

A

Anonymous

Righto, what subwoofer cable do you recommend?

There is a big choice available on ebay and amazon for all sorts of money. I'm looking for 5m, good quality, cheap.

I know, I know; I want the impossible. I want the moon on a stick. My wife accuses me of being the sort of guy who expects milk in his coffee or bread on his sandwiches!

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
the_lhc: Be interested if you could find out, perhaps this might explain why some people's subs hum and others don't?

Might also be due to a poorly wound or old transformer.

A

Anonymous

Sub cables are mainly sheilded better. I run QED Ref sub cable to one sub and performance to the other. The reference wired sub has no hum at all but the performance hums a tiny bit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts