Some advice on Vinyl

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting into vinyl as a hobby, looking for it on ebay and stuff as most of my music tastes are jazz and classical I wouldn't have thought this would be a problem. Its a small thing but I thought I might need something to play it on and wondered if someone would give me some advice. My question is this:

Given the system I have (details in sig) how much would I need to spend on a TT to make it a worthwhile improvement over my CD player?

Would a £500 TT not sound that much different to my existing set up?

Given that I don't have more than £500 to spend and don't have an existing vinyl collection is it even worth thinking about?

Finally if it is worth it some advice on what to look out for either new or second hand.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would not play classical on vinyl.

I love the sound of vinyl records and jazz especially seems to suit the medium along with rock and pop.

Partly it is a noise issue. The minor amount of groove noise from a good turntable/arm/cartridge can still be intrusive with classical. (I love motets and early sacred and Baroque and given that on some recordings you can almost tell the make of car passing outside the venue, then you can imagine what even a tiny bit of groove noise can do in the quiet passages!)

None of my records are dirty (I have all my new and used LP purchases Keith Monks cleaned when I get them) or damaged but I have still given up on classical vinyl.

Jazz is a different matter. Vinyl and a good turntable lifts it to another plane.

£500 will get you a pretty good set-up worthy of your system.

My own Rega P2/Ortofon 2M Blue/Rega Fono-Mini phono-stage comes to about £420 in total and that includes a £130 cartridge. You could get the same set-up but with an Ortofon 2M Red for about £355 and have enough money to start your vinyl collection.

John Duncan

chebby:
I would not play classical on vinyl.

I love the sound of vinyl records and jazz especially seems to suit the medium along with rock and pop.

Partly it is a noise issue. The minor amount of groove noise from a good turntable/arm/cartridge can still be intrusive with classical. (I love motets and early sacred and Baroque and given that on some recordings you can almost tell the make of car passing outside the venue, then you can imagine what even a tiny bit of groove noise can do in the quiet passages!)

None of my records are dirty (I have all my new and used LP purchases Keith Monks cleaned when I get them) or damaged but I have still given up on classical vinyl.

Jazz is a different matter. Vinyl and a good turntable lifts it to another plane.

£500 will get you a pretty good set-up worthy of your system.

My own Rega P2/Ortofon 2M Blue/Rega Fono-Mini phono-stage comes to about £420 in total and that includes a £130 cartridge. You could get the same set-up but with an Ortofon 2M Red for about £355 and have enough money to start your vinyl collection.

Agreed, specially on the classical bit. Can't quite make a P3 I don't think, but you could try one of the Pro-ject decks as an alternative to the Rega P2 - my RPM5 is funky if you like the look. Lastly, adding a Knosti Disco Antistat would be worth every penny if second hand vinyl is the way you're going.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby: Partly it is a noise issue. The minor amount of groove noise from a good turntable/arm/cartridge can still be intrusive with classical. (I love motets

Hilliard Ensemble? I've got a couple of theirs, my missus looks at me funny when I listen to them...

None of my records are dirty (I have all my new and used LP purchases Keith Monks cleaned when I get them)

This might be a silly question, as I suspect the answer will be "Keith Monk", but where do you get this done? And how much does it cost? I was looking at their machine the Bristol show but didn't quite have the 3 and a half grand for one, although I'm still tempted! I'm such a dork i'd probably spend more time cleaning my vinyl than playing it!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
chebby: Partly it is a noise issue. The minor amount of groove noise from a good turntable/arm/cartridge can still be intrusive with classical. (I love motets

Hilliard Ensemble? I've got a couple of theirs, my missus looks at me funny when I listen to them...

None of my records are dirty (I have all my new and used LP purchases Keith Monks cleaned when I get them)

This might be a silly question, as I suspect the answer will be "Keith Monk", but where do you get this done? And how much does it cost? I was looking at their machine the Bristol show but didn't quite have the 3 and a half grand for one, although I'm still tempted! I'm such a dork i'd probably spend more time cleaning my vinyl than playing it!

I am a fan of the Tallis Scholars and Gothic Voices but I do have a rather good Bach Motetten ECM CD by the Hilliard Ensemble.

My local second hand record shop has a dual platter Keith Monks machine they bought a long time ago from Capital Radio. They charge a quid a side (includes a new inner sleeve).

A

Anonymous

How about looking foe 2`nd hand Mithell Syncro or Micro, I use a Syncro wit Bi Amped Arcam gear.An Audio Technica AT440MLa

cartridge seemsto suit really well. MICHELL have a good website www.michell-engineering.co.uk with archive photo`s etc.

They are very friendly and can still service these units. highly recommended.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby:the_lhc:

I am a fan of the Tallis Scholars and Gothic Voices but I do have a rather good Bach Motetten ECM CD by the Hilliard Ensemble.

I think I've got that one, I've got a few but I forget the titles, I'll look out for those others.

My local second hand record shop has a dual platter Keith Monks machine they bought a long time ago from Capital Radio. They charge a quid a side (includes a new inner sleeve).

I don't suppose local means anywhere near Devon does it?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:The Knosti isn't as good as the Keith Monks (difference between a bath and a shower), but it does do a pretty good job and is good value to have around the house.which ones the shower and i'm assuming that is the better one?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts