Sold A21SE need a £150 Classic amp till i get my new Amp. Any sugestions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers guys yes i keep looking at the Hegel ever time its mentioned. That Audio Analogue is certainly a brute. Or a Electrocompaniet but they are few and far between and expensive or old.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Cheers guys yes i keep looking at the Hegel ever time its mentioned. That Audio Analogue is certainly a brute. Or a Electrocompaniet but they are few and far between and expensive or old.

I would expect you to find the AA amp sweet, rich, open, powerful and detailed...and stable into difficult loads. It's a flexible beast with a good phono stage and HT Bypass.

I would put it on the same side of the "sonic fence" as Arcam, Electro, Musical Fidelity, Unison Research Unico and Sugden (Mystro).

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Just as well as i have agreed to buy it for £1000 still not sure about the styling or the Italian origin, meeting the chap in Leek tomorrow or Friday! 22Kg thats heavy Huge caps Accuphase style. God knows whats happend to Abrahamsen I even called internatioal operater to try the number, I fear they have gone down the pan. I even asked if I could sell the Amps in the UK if they were any good, thought that might be fun and complement the iQ Speaker deal really well. Ow well we will see.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
OK the Audio Analouge Maestro Settanta Rev2 (catchy name) has arrived at work so after limbering up I'm off to pick it up. Cno i see your AMS 35 weighs 28Kg! Now thats heavy. Abrahamsen finally got back to me to say they have the parts! Talk about timing I may just order one, I'm just intruiged!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
OK the Audio Analogue Maestro Settanta Rev2 (catchy name) has arrived at work so after limbering up I'm off to pick it up. Cno i see your AMS 35 weighs 28Kg! Now thats heavy. Abrahamsen finally got back to me to say they have the parts! Talk about timing I may just order one, I'm just intruiged!

That's what gives it more welly than the Sugden IA-4 and allows it to be stable into 2 Ohms.

Your new amp will determin the extent of your intrigue......First impressions?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
iQ Speakers said:
OK the Audio Analogue Maestro Settanta Rev2 (catchy name) has arrived at work so after limbering up I'm off to pick it up. Cno i see your AMS 35 weighs 28Kg! Now thats heavy. Abrahamsen finally got back to me to say they have the parts! Talk about timing I may just order one, I'm just intruiged!

That's what gives it more welly than the Sugden IA-4 and allows it to be stable into 2 Ohms.

Your new amp will determin the extent of your intrigue......First impressions?
Heavy and big. Better looking in the flesh very well made and very powerfull, nice remote and sound good. Given that I had one very short night with the Sugden and the Linn Majik DS before the CA got shipped off its difficult to compare apples with apples. Gut feeling is I think the Sugden is better. However I think the CA Stream Magic 6 is far better than the Linn Majik and has an influence in the overall hapiness of the system I had i need to check my ramblings to be sure. My intention is to buy the new Cambridge CXN when it comes out very soon. (Basically a CA Stream Magic 6 V2 drop the Audio from Cambridge Audio name add a new upmarket case with colour screen and slightly upgraded output stage components). to check my sanity. Although I think its wrong I have 14 days to send it back if its not better than the Linn. All sounds mad, but I have exposed and learnt much about different products, part of this mad hobby. Plus I have not lost money except £200 on the CA, not bad for 2 years of enjoyment. Watch this space.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
No reply from Abrahamsen by mail. Tried ringing get a message and an error tone. Now not speaking Norweigen, I'm not sure what the message says. So time to re think? How about a Audio Analouge Settanta Rev 2 at £1199 on eBay 17 months old weighing in at 22Kg any thoughts?

I had an Maestro Settanta after my Arcam A85/P85 and I preferred the latter. Just a cleaner sound to my ears, more detail, more engaging. Nothing wrong with the Audio Analogue but I have fonder memories of the Arcams.

I also had a Pioneer A400, which may dad now uses. 25 years old or thereabouts now and still going strong. Nice amp.

I've had the current set-up for 4 years now and no intention to change it.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
JoelSim said:
iQ Speakers said:
No reply from Abrahamsen by mail. Tried ringing get a message and an error tone. Now not speaking Norweigen, I'm not sure what the message says. So time to re think? How about a Audio Analouge Settanta Rev 2 at £1199 on eBay 17 months old weighing in at 22Kg any thoughts?

I had an Maestro Settanta after my Arcam A85/P85 and I preferred the latter. Just a cleaner sound to my ears, more detail, more engaging. Nothing wrong with the Audio Analogue but I have fonder memories of the Arcams.

I also had a Pioneer A400, which may dad now uses. 25 years old or thereabouts now and still going strong. Nice amp.

I bought it! Its nice but dont think its as good as the Sugden, though i changed sources the day the Sugden went! So its a tough call to say. Nice build though. I think I'm enjoying changing at the moment and learning i have alot of catching up to do only getting back into hifi for the last 2 years.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I see. How long did you have to wait for the second two, have they improved on the first one in terms of order speed?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
No! I sent the mail ordering last Thursday only got the invoice to pay yesterday, however they have been shipped! None of my further questions to them were answered. Having said that every time I listen it puts a huge smile on my face it's just amazing.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
JoelSim said:
iQ Speakers said:

I bought it! Its nice but dont think its as good as the Sugden, though i changed sources the day the Sugden went! So its a tough call to say. Nice build though. I think I'm enjoying changing at the moment and learning i have alot of catching up to do only getting back into hifi for the last 2 years.

Well the A400 was £240 new which is somewhat less than the Sugden. A nice amp, but it is only a very good budget amp.

mocenigo

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
No! I sent the mail ordering last Thursday only got the invoice to pay yesterday, however they have been shipped! None of my further questions to them were answered. Having said that every time I listen it puts a huge smile on my face it's just amazing.

Yes, listening to the amps makes you forget the fact that Thomas's inbox is a black hole ;-)

Roberto

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts