Should I get a new Amp for streaming, or use my NAD 3020i w/ an Apogee Duet + something else?

spencerque

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
I'm stuck and would love the forum's advice. I like the sound of my NAD 3020i amp when I listen to vinyl, from an RP1 turntable with the built-in phono pre-amp through Boston Acoustics E60s. But the sound it produces when I plug in my laptop or phone through the auxiliary channel is really boring.

I have an Apogee Duet for recording but I rarely use it, and it sounds great when I rig it up to play from my laptop through my system. Is there a way to rig it up to allow me to stream wirelessly as well? Or should I get buy streamer? Or should I just buy a new integrated amp that does all of it?

It's not so much an issue of money. It's more about wanting to make sure I'm not ignoring what I already have. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Spencer

nads

Ok curve ball time. See if you can pick up a Squeezebox Touch on EBay if the remote does not work it tends to be the power supply that needs changing. But the iPeng app is great (apple only).

it is/was a very capable streamer as is.

Gray

..It's more about wanting to make sure I'm not ignoring what I already have.
...perfectly understandable.
You like the sound of your NAD amp.
And you like what the Duet does for for your laptop's output.
So it would seem sensible to keep both.
The Duet won't, itself, allow wireless streaming, but it could be used as a USB DAC for a wireless streamer.
Of course, you could forget about the Duet and buy a streamer with its own built-in DAC. Or even, as you say, an amp that does the lot (though personally I would avoid that option).

I was in the same position a you. I had a decent USB DAC which I fed from a laptop. Didn't want to have to use the laptop.......

For the price of a Raspberry Pi (with PSU and SD card), you've got a perfect wireless streamer. And you could keep and use both your Duet and NAD with it.

The thread linked to below, will give you ideas for streamers.
Each post is numbered top right. Post #8 is my suggestion for somebody who has a spare Pi. I fully appreciate that the option wouldn't suit everyone (I thought it wouldn't suit me).
But it would be a great way to use that Duet of yours - and it's cheap enough to experiment.

Gray

I think the Apogee duet is a 'class compliant' audio interface and hence works on ipad/iphone etc and may also work on linux. In which case you could use a raspberry pi for streaming and the duet plugged into it as your dac.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUjj2mZ4o0

Im not saying this will definately work but it could be an avenue to explore.

Hope some of that helps
As soon as I posted, I saw yours irontoe (y)
It could indeed be an Avenue to explore.

spencerque

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
What an awesome idea! I've always wanted to find an excuse to play around with a Rasberry Pi, and sure enough it seems to be the one component that could piece the system together. I love that not one but two of you had the same idea. Very very cool. Thank you!

Reactions: Gray

Gray

No doubt the D1050 is a visual match - as for its sound, differences between DACs can be (very) subtle, no guarantee it would be better than your Duet, with its Sabre DAC chip.
The D1050 would give you alternative digital inputs (for TV sound maybe?) and a headphone amp, if you could use one (although the Duet might have a h/p amp??).

The DAC I'm using is the Khadas Toneboard. If there's a better sounding £100 DAC, I'd like to hear it.
I put mine in a metal case, but it can be used as supplied, possibly hidden out of sight.

gasolin

Visual not a match since it's the NAD 3020i NOT the Nad D3020

The dac as some reviews say say can sound a little bright and revealing depning on the record, bad recording bad sound, good recording good sound, matches very well with the slightly dark,warm sounding nad 3020i.

Mine cost me 100 euros, not in mint condtion but works and sounds good, 2x optical,coaxial, 1x usb unbalanced and balanced out, headphone out and remote if it comes with one (mine didn't)

Retail price more than 400 euros,whathifi 5 stars

TRENDING THREADS