Sold A21SE need a £150 Classic amp till i get my new Amp. Any sugestions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well the Abrahamsen will be 2-3 weeks before thay get more stock, seems a little bit of a shambles but i supose thats what you get with small company offering a great value product I hope!

So just agreed to buy the Pop Pulse with the guy for £100 will be ideal to run speakers in for my new project whilst useing low power! Cheers Electro and everbody else who made great classic suggestions, not ended up with a classic but it would seem to suit for now. Cheers

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
boggit said:
I figured if Electro thought it was good based on his kit and his level headed posts it must sound OK.

You are a very trusting soul *smile*

To be fair you will not be getting club spl's from the Poppulse but it is more than adequate and it is quite a heavy little beast for it's size .

Here are some pictures of the innards and the rather large power supply .

poppulse_t77_5_zpsbnzdfrlr.jpg

PopPulseT150PRO_zpsnpkyklnh.jpg
4682_POPPULSE-T150_5_zpswr1jhjnw.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
So I drove down to junction 14 of the M5 to meet the chap with the Pop Pulse handed over £100 and had an interesting chat about HiFi. Very heavy little thing came home and had other things to do. So eventually plugged it in and blimey i have 96% of the Sugden, runs cold I could live with this. Last night I bought my Sonos ZP100 amp down from bedroom was not expecting much but not bad. Not as good as the Pop but not bad. It's only after listening for a while you realise you're not enjoying so much. Pop Pulse I'm very impressed cheers Electro I could actually live with it. But I won't!!

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
boggit said:
So I drove down to junction 14 of the M5 to meet the chap with the Pop Pulse handed over £100 and had an interesting chat about HiFi. Very heavy little thing came home and had other things to do. So eventually plugged it in and blimey i have 96% of the Sugden, runs cold I could live with this. Last night I bought my Sonos ZP100 amp down from bedroom was not expecting much but not bad. Not as good as the Pop but not bad. It's only after listening for a while you realise you're not enjoying so much. Pop Pulse I'm very impressed cheers Electro I could actually live with it. But I won't!!

told you to get a Pioneer A400 *blum3*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
boggit said:

Glad you like it , but then I knew you would *smile* , it is an amazing little amp that can embarrass other amps at many times it's price .

It just goes to show that if you follow your instinct and take a chance on something that some others won't there are great rewards to be reaped and I am also sure the Abrahamsen will be even more rewarding , quite considerably more rewarding ! *wink* *biggrin*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
It's bloddy great little thing and it has icicles hanging off it when on. As for the Abrahamsen, I'll have to wait 3 weeks before they get bits for the UP version, know body there when I rang could sell me one, don't take credit cards, no UK service, resale value? No uk reviews, few uk users. But I'm really looking forward to getting it and hoping its bargin price will still be that when I hear it. Bizarre. Both down to you Electro cheers.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Be interested to see how you get on and hopefully there wont be any import duty etc. Given their background I expect them to be very good amps but struggled to find any reviews or any info on them tbh.

Burnsie

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
They have came down in price!!!! I'm the same with the CD player, they said it would be a couple of weeks to wait for them to get the components for the UP version. I did fancy going down the pre/power road when I first looked at Abrahamsen but they no longer have the power amps in stock.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
In my experience when somebody says they have run out of components there is usually another reason. Cash flow etc but I'm still mad enough to give it s whirl. I guess the pound is stronger.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I was going to keep it then with an hour to go bloke bought it and funny enough he use to have one! I don't think it improved things much from my Pulse. Looked nice though.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I had a look at their website (pop pulse) and at their T-amp180. Looks kinda interesting but no prices so I clicked on the 'order' tab (no intentions to order but perhaps some prices?) Funnily enough upon clicking there's a lot of writing about non-cosher watches, bracelets :)

Are you sure these things (amplifiers) are safe to use in the UK? :)

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I tend to agree with the comments about usually having another reason for not having components available. Normally indicates cash flow problems or lack of suppliers willing to give credit. But, with it being a relative niche brand you never know, they may just order limited quantities, build to order and share the parts across their range.

Interesting regarding your comments about the Sugden as if I dont go active, I was looking at either the A21SE or preferably a Master Class as my next amp. I think I have a class A scratch that needs itching.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
No reply from Abrahamsen by mail. Tried ringing get a message and an error tone. Now not speaking Norweigen, I'm not sure what the message says. So time to re think? How about a Audio Analouge Settanta Rev 2 at £1199 on eBay 17 months old weighing in at 22Kg any thoughts?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
No reply from Abrahamsen by mail. Tried ringing get a message and an error tone. Now not speaking Norweigen, I'm not sure what the message says. So time to re think? How about a Audio Analouge Settanta Rev 2 at £1199 on eBay 17 months old weighing in at 22Kg any thoughts?

thumbs_up.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
*good* big thumbs up or just a small thumb? Mac thought you liked them cheers Cno

*good*

I think Joel owned one and Amcluesent (or something like that) owns one and should give better insight than me. Maybe start a thread about it.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If the Abrahamsen doesn't happen which would be a shame *sad* have you though about a Hegel H80 .

I have been doing a bit of research into Hegel recently especially after reading Steve R750's experience with his H160 and there is something very familiar about the basic amplifier design *smile*.

I have heard a couple of the older Hegel models some years ago and I was struck by how good they were so it might be worth a try .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts