What power amp should i get to drive my M&K s150thx?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all my dearest friends, i need you guys help again this time. I just sold my Monitor Audio Radius Hd speakers and bought a set of M&K S150 thx speakers. I trying to sell my Pioneer SC-lx71 to get

1) Emotiva UMC-1 (processor)

2) XPA-2 2 channel 4ohms 500rms each(drive my 2 front s150 speakers)

3) XPA-5 5 channel 4ohms 300rms each(drive the rest including sub)

OR if i cant sell my Pioneer receiver i will Bi-amp the power amp to my current pioneer lx71,

1) Pioneer SC-lx71 (precessor)(BI-amp)

2) XPA-2 2 channel to drive my two front s150

3) XPA-3 3 channel to drive my center and 2xss150 surround speakers

4) Leave my subwoofer to my pioneer receiver.

What do you guys think of these setup?...im quite new to bi-amp not sure how does it work or will it give a good performance? So really need your assistant. Many thanks.

And another question, I have just called to pioneer UK and ask them will my pioneer SC-LX71 drive my M&K speakers(not bi-amp) and they say that because it is 4ohms speakers so it would damage my receiver in a long term use. Really giving me headache.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Your S150's will be single wired, so you won't be able to bi-amp them as such.

As far as the Pioneer is concerned, it depends on how loud you want to play them - are you looking for extended Reference Level listening? If you only reach about -20dB (give or take 5dB), you'll be more than fine with the Pioneer. I use an 82, mine are fine.

I can't comment on the Emotiva, but they should be able to drive the MK's fine.

Technical helplines will usually go by spec, but specs are generally pretty meaningless when you're out in the field. Technical helplines have their place, but when it comes to matching up with other speakers and so on, speak to those who actually use the stuff, day in, day out
emotion-1.gif

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
garychf:

And another question, I have just called to pioneer UK and ask them will my pioneer SC-LX71 drive my M&K speakers(not bi-amp) and they say that because it is 4ohms speakers so it would damage my receiver in a long term use. Really giving me headache.

emotion-3.gif
Thats a shocker! I'm surprised at that.

These speakers are currently on my short list to eventually twin with my LX-83. I was under the impression that the amplification was not too dissimilar between the 7 series and 8 series amps as they both use the ICE amplification, so now you've got me worried that my LX-83 won't be able to handle the 150's.

I don't mean to hijack you initial OP, but how are you finding the 150's compared to the Radius HD's? Which rears do you have?

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Your S150's will be single wired, so you won't be able to bi-amp them as such. As far as the Pioneer is concerned, it depends on how loud you want to play them - are you looking for extended Reference Level listening? If you only reach about -20dB (give or take 5dB), you'll be more than fine with the Pioneer. I use an 82, mine are fine. I can't comment on the Emotiva, but they should be able to drive the MK's fine. Technical helplines will usually go by spec, but specs are generally pretty meaningless when you're out in the field. Technical helplines have their place, but when it comes to matching up with other speakers and so on, speak to those who actually use the stuff, day in, day out
emotion-1.gif

Hi David,

You've answered two questions for me then, the one above, and the one I asked in my "Speaker Upgrade Suggestions..." post - i.e. you still have your S150's!

Will my LX-83 be fine in a 7.1 set-up with the S150's at the front and SS150's for surrounds and rears. My current volume goes up to around -18dB to -15dB at most, but normally around -30dB to -30dB.

Cheers,

Gareth

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:gdavies - I would hold fire as there are alternatives coming...
emotion-1.gif

emotion-3.gif
From M&K do you mean?? I feel I have hijacked the OP's post too much already, perhaps you should PM me?

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
gdavies09031977:

emotion-1.gif

emotion-3.gif
From M&K do you mean?? I feel I have hijacked the OP's post too much already, perhaps you should PM me?

I've just PM'd you instead!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gdavies09031977:Will my LX-83 be fine in a 7.1 set-up with the S150's at the front and SS150's for surrounds and rears. My current volume goes up to around -18dB to -15dB at most, but normally around -30dB to -30dB.It'll be fine
emotion-1.gif

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
garychf:

That's a joke! My speakers are all 4 Ohms and all my amps were able to drive them easily, even an Onkyo TX-SR605! Mine is a long list of amps by the way.

The only amp that ever gave me a problem was a Sony STR-DG820 - the load was too much for this admittedly basic amp and it would go into protection mode when played too loud.

Your LX-71 will be just fine.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
gdavies09031977:
emotion-1.gif

emotion-3.gif

I don't think he means M&K as FH no longer do M&K mores the pity, but he may be referring to a new range of speakers Ken Kreisel is working on and possibly some others.

A

Anonymous

I have my M&K ss150THX as rear speakers and for my own opinion i think that MA radius are little too bright, and M&K seem to bring more solid and power effect.

I think the S150 should be fine with pionner amp after i tested it these few days but you have to really play it loud enough.

A

Anonymous

Gary

150`s will be fine with your amp as David and others have said

FWIW my own 150`s started life being driven with an Onkyo 905 and to me it sounded really good, along the way i`ve tried various other p/amps, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer,ADA, and a couple more but i`ve recently gone back to an Onkyo 5500 paired with a 5508 processor and I`m enjoying the MK`s more than ever at the moment.

The 150`s are now "singing" as they say lol, everything is tight and controlled, the steering/positioning from the 5508 is just perfect and I believe that to get things better really will cost in excess of 10 grand electronics wise and thats if it can be bettered.

So in answer to your original question, don`t disguard Onkyo as they and MK seem to be made for each other.

cheers Al

A

Anonymous

Can i hook a power amp like emotiva 4ohms 300w to my pioneer lx71(to act as a processor) to provide more power. But as i know my speakers cant be bi-amp. I am not sure how does it work, can i just connect both power amp and av receiver. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts