Should I change my amp and dac? (advice)

frankchen1221

May 23, 2022
Visit site
My current setup: Acoustic Energy AE100 MK II + Micromega MyAMP + Topping D10s
Recently, I have considered some bigger integrated amplifiers for better sounds and experience, here are my picks below:

1. DENON PMA-600NE (or 800NE)
2. Marantz PM6007
3. Audiolab 6000A (no Bluetooth version)

DAC picks:

1.SMSL SU-9
2.SMSL M500 MK II

Actually, I am hesitating about that, because MyAMP sounds great and clear, it is enough for pairing with my speakers.
I am afraid that the 3 amps I picked do not sound smooth and natural as MyAMP does, though more powerful.

Anyway, should I upgrade or change my AMP and DAC? Or just keep them? Thanks.

Last edited:

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
My current setup: Acoustic Energy AE100 MK II + Micromega MyAMP + Topping D10s
Recently, I have considered some bigger integrated amplifiers for better sounds and experience, here are my picks below:

1. DENON PMA-600NE (or 800NE)
2. Marantz PM6007
3. Audiolab 6000A (no Bluetooth version)

DAC picks:

1.SMSL SU-9
2.SMSL M500 MK II

Actually, I am hesitating about that, because MyAMP sounds great and clear, it is enough for pairing with my speakers.
I am afraid that the 3 amps I picked do not sound smooth and natural as MyAMP does, though more powerful.

Anyway, should I upgrade or change my AMP and DAC? Or just keep them? Thanks.
If happy keep with it. More power does not always mean better power. My 25W Cyrus One sounds as powerful as my 44W Onkyo amp. Amp design is key and your ears are the deciding factor.

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
Agree. If happy with your sound then stick with what you have.

However, it would do no harm to audition those amps, then you can satisfy yourself. The Marantz has a pretty decent DAC so might reduce your box count.

Reactions: frankchen1221

Gray

Audiolab 6000A (no Bluetooth version)
You've got Bluetooth
"whether you want it or not Grandad"*
(You probably mean not the 'play' version of the 6000A - but the standard 6000A does include BT).

*If you don't know what I'm on about above, checkout 'The Hi-fi shop' sketch, as featured on 'Not The Nine O'clock News' when Grandad is asked if he wants woofers and tweeters in his speakers.

frankchen1221

May 23, 2022
Visit site
You've got Bluetooth
"whether you want it or not Grandad"*
(You probably mean not the 'play' version of the 6000A - but the standard 6000A does include BT).

*If you don't know what I'm on about above, checkout 'The Hi-fi shop' sketch, as featured on 'Not The Nine O'clock News' when Grandad is asked if he wants woofers and tweeters in his speakers.

Chinese version doesn’t have Bluetooth. Size and design are bit different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Gray

I am quite interested in the 6000A myself (despite the fact that the price has recently increased here in the UK).
However, in your case, I agree with the others here.
You seem very happy with the sound of your amp and a DAC change is only likely to give you a subtle difference.
If I were you, I'd forget about changes.

Reactions: frankchen1221

frankchen1221

May 23, 2022
Visit site
I am quite interested in the 6000A myself (despite the fact that the price has recently increased here in the UK).
However, in your case, I agree with the others here.
You seem very happy with the sound of your amp and a DAC change is only likely to give you a subtle difference.
If I were you, I'd forget about changes.

Indeed, MyAmp is a good little amp except the fan noise.

I want to change my DAC for better chip (ES9023P from MyAmp/ES9038Q2M -> ES9038PRO), MQA and more, but are they necessary to be the main reason of changing DAC…?

Edit: MyAMP's DAC sounds 10x better than D10s, so I won't change my DAC or AMP and will sell my D10s.

Last edited:

Gray

I want to change my DAC for better chip (ES9023P from MyAmp/ES9038Q2M -> ES9038PRO), MQA and more, but are they necessary to be the main reason of changing DAC…?
They shouldn't be really. The surrounding components, not least those in the analogue stage probably have at least as much influence on the SQ.
If you took heed of chip brand generalisations, you'd probably steer clear of ESS DACs altogether if you prefer a smoother (more easy-going) sound.
Then there are those that wouldn't dream of using switch mode power supplies, others that say no DAC less than £1000 is worth considering 😆.
My £100 Khadas Toneboard, with its ES9038Q2M chip, sounds ok to me - don't look anything special in its homemade case, but then it's out of my sight in use:
IMG_20220507_175700_MP.jpg
The fact that you hear a big difference between DACs, makes auditioning all the more important for you to ensure any change gives real benefit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts