So who has pre-ordered a 4K blu-ray player then?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
From what i've read here in the last weeks/months you can stick OLED/4K/HDR where the Sun don't shine.

Being an 'early adopter' seems very hard work and bank-breakingly expensive with £8k tellys being sold at £5k to fund more - and better - ones within weeks of purchase.

Kudos for the ability to burn £'000s just to keep up with this week's 'best tv' but down here where I live there is neither the money nor the time to keep up except vicariously.

gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
Rubbish in what way?
Its very dark no pop at all, HDR doesn't appear to be working, I have tried turning it on and off via the remote on the TV.  
Isn't this exactly what Vincent said about HDR's anomaly?
Huh?
As ellisdj pointed out, your own thread about "What does this mean". Read that HDTV Test article again.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It also means that I WAS RIGHT again .... muuuaahahahahaha

For HDR, the industry is considering 5 nits (cd/m2) to be a desirable surround luminance level.

5 cd/m2 is very dark, roughly the amount of light generated by five lit candles; any switched-on room lamp is likely to exceed this figure. With its usage pretty much restricted to a dark room (not dissimilar to 3D if you think about it), 4K HDR Blu-ray is a niche format that may become even more niche, although in fairness most video enthusiasts would do their critical viewing in a dimly-lit environment anyway. It will be interesting to see if HDR broadcast can succeed in the average living room which is typically not light-controlled…

Basically if you want the best picture from your TV HDR you need black out your room as I have said for ages.

I did a simple test last night - I have got a Tesco Hudl and even on a low brightness setting in a pitch black room the light reflected off the white walls in my room was enough to easily see whats in the room.

So if you think the TV is pumping out 50x this light output at least could be as much as 1000x the light output the room ambient light with light coloured walls is going to be way more the 5 nits. So just having the lights out is not light controlled enough by any stretch

And going brighter and brighter in the TV to compensate is only going to make the situation worse - Lucky black is a fashionable colour :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
ellisdj said:
Basically if you want the best picture from your TV HDR you need black out your room as I have said for ages.

So I was was right when I said ...

chebby said:
... stick OLED/4K/HDR where the Sun don't shine ...

Nope its still worth having / an improvement, you can clearly see that in the side by side photos - its just by the looks of things you need very good conditions to get the full benefit, this is the same as sound its no different.

I dont see why its such an issue who doesnt want to sit and watch tv with the family and kids in a tomb like black environment???

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I pre-ordered mine from superfi on march the 14th but i got fed up of waiting they said it could be a few weeks before they get any in so i cancelled i have now ordered from currys and hopfully i will get it tomorrow the panasonic UHD blu-ray player. *good*

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
I pre-ordered mine from superfi on march the 14th but i got fed up of waiting they said it could be a few weeks before they get any in so i cancelled i have now ordered from currys and hopfully i will get it tomorrow the panasonic UHD blu-ray player. *good*
you can take it back if it's no good too for a full refund.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:

let us know how you get on - another good review on AVF today but its exactly as expect 9 - the oppo's when released will be a 10

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
simonlewis said:

let us know how you get on - another good review on AVF today but its exactly as expect 9 - the oppo's when released will be a 10
A bit bias that!

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
simonlewis said:

Agreed tempting though it may be ive just watched the fantastic four in both 1080p and UHD 4K and their was no difference, i could do with a new blu-ray player so i'm keeping it.

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
gel said:
simonlewis said:

Agreed tempting though it may be ive just watched the fantastic four in both 1080p and UHD 4K and their was no difference, i could do with a new blu-ray player so i'm keeping it.
Crazy isn't it? I bought Home Cinema Choice today and they have a review on the Panasonic and they are saying for non HDR owners to change the player's adjustable range conversion (DRC) . This allows users to tailor playback for screens which are not HDR-enabled. Selectable via the options menu in the Picture settings, DRC offers a sliding scale of adjustment, variable between -12 and +12 (the higher the value, the brighter the output).

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
From what i've read here in the last weeks/months you can stick OLED/4K/HDR where the Sun don't shine.

Ah, but as the BBC demonstrated in its extended advert for – sorry, in-depth investigation of – HDR over the weekend, the sun shines much more accurately in HDR.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
spiny norman said:
chebby said:

Ah, but as the BBC demonstrated in its extended advert for – sorry, in-depth investigation of – HDR over the weekend, the sun shines much more accurately in HDR.

Sorry, I missed the broadcast, when exactly was it, please, and on which channel?

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
simonlewis said:
gel said:
simonlewis said:

my understanding is that 4K is only worth viewing on a 65" plus size screen, so not sure you will see much difference between 1080p and 4K.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Series1boy said:
simonlewis said:
gel said:
simonlewis said:

my understanding is that 4K is only worth viewing on a 65" plus size screen, so not sure you will see much difference between 1080p and 4K.

i see the difference on a 55.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
Series1boy said:
simonlewis said:
gel said:
simonlewis said:

i see the difference on a 55.

*good*

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
chebby said:
ellisdj said:

So I was was right when I said ...

chebby said:
... stick OLED/4K/HDR where the Sun don't shine ...

Nope its still worth having / an improvement, you can clearly see that in the side by side photos - its just by the looks of things you need very good conditions to get the full benefit, this is the same as sound its no different.

I dont see why its such an issue who doesnt want to sit and watch tv with the family and kids in a tomb like black environment???

I don't know abouts nits, but nitwits seem to be getting obsessed with them.

For decades people have drawn curtains or closed blinds to watch TV and cinemas are darkened. It's nothing new. Of course you get better contrast in low ambient light, and comparing a TV screen to the light put out by candles is daft. You don't sit and stare at a candle, do you?

TRENDING THREADS