So who has pre-ordered a 4K blu-ray player then?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
ellisdj said:
chebby said:
ellisdj said:
Basically if you want the best picture from your TV HDR you need black out your room as I have said for ages.

So I was was right when I said ...

chebby said:
... stick OLED/4K/HDR where the Sun don't shine ...

Nope its still worth having / an improvement, you can clearly see that in the side by side photos - its just by the looks of things you need very good conditions to get the full benefit, this is the same as sound its no different.

I dont see why its such an issue who doesnt want to sit and watch tv with the family and kids in a tomb like black environment???

I don't know abouts nits, but nitwits seem to be getting obsessed with them.

For decades people have drawn curtains or closed blinds to watch TV and cinemas are darkened. It's nothing new. Of course you get better contrast in low ambient light, and comparing a TV screen to the light put out by candles is daft. You don't sit and stare at a candle, do you?

Nitwit - that is clearly pot and kettle black

Nit is a measurement of light same as footlamberts or candela dont think that is spelt right.

Drawing the curtains does not light control the environment so just because people have been doing this for years doesn't mean anything. The tv is a light source amplified by the surroundings or subdued the same so it's just as relevant as having a light on in the room for example.

I hate negativity for negativity sake it comes across as bitterness.

However I admit some people are here just for the enjoyment of the hobby fair enough.
Other people are here and are interested in getting the maximum performance they can from their systems fair play as well

The people here just for the hobby of it don't need to be negative towards those who are looking to push things, this really bugs me.

Especially as there is a crossover here generally hobbyist are interested in improving their systems also. Without the people pushing things, trying new ideas and bringing things to market there would be no progress.

No one forces anyone to do or buy anything but to shun ideas especially clearly obvious ones is just silly

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Very easy test to prove this, close the curtains or whatever you do to darken the room before critically watching a film - put the film on and dont look at the TV look at the light coloured ceiling or walls, or the room as a whole. Throughout the film the amount of light on the walls / in the room ambiently will change drastically going up and down - the ambient light of the room is also going up and down considerably.

The bigger the screen the worse it is, the brighter the screen the worse it is, the higher the contrast the worse it is - how can amyone say you have control over the light, light controlled environment -

They Cant and They dont

All the the things that make the picture better make the conditons for watching the picture worse.

Its up to whoever to decide if they want to go the whole hog but to shun the importance of proper control is clearly silly.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
On Sunday 1st May Mr Steve Withers will be calibrating my Sony and Panasonic televisions for subdued daylight, with the curtains drawn, but certainly not pitch-black. He will also be suggesting bias lighting for the Sony and LG televisions, because their native black levels are not as deep as those of the Pioneer and Panasonic.

D

Deleted member 2457

I wonder if all 4K blu Ray players in the future will ramped up the settings? Is it a TV issue or blu Ray player?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I wonder if all 4K blu Ray players in the future will ramped up the settings? Is it a TV issue or blu Ray player?

Guess it could be down to the mastering of the discs. Wouldn't be the first time a new home video format was launched and the quality of the discs took some time to catch up. In the early days of DVD and Blu-ray some titles had to be reworked and re-released.

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:

Guess it could be down to the mastering of the discs. Wouldn't be the first time a new home video format was launched and the quality of the discs took some time to catch up. In the early days of DVD and Blu-ray some titles had to be reworked and re-released.
*good*

D

Deleted member 2457

On one of my 4K Blu-Ray's the settings weren't ramped up come to think of it.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
ellisdj said:
chebby said:
ellisdj said:
Basically if you want the best picture from your TV HDR you need black out your room as I have said for ages.

So I was was right when I said ...

chebby said:
... stick OLED/4K/HDR where the Sun don't shine ...

Nope its still worth having / an improvement, you can clearly see that in the side by side photos - its just by the looks of things you need very good conditions to get the full benefit, this is the same as sound its no different.

I dont see why its such an issue who doesnt want to sit and watch tv with the family and kids in a tomb like black environment???

I don't know abouts nits, but nitwits seem to be getting obsessed with them.

For decades people have drawn curtains or closed blinds to watch TV and cinemas are darkened. It's nothing new. Of course you get better contrast in low ambient light, and comparing a TV screen to the light put out by candles is daft. You don't sit and stare at a candle, do you?

Nitwit - that is clearly pot and kettle black

Nit is a measurement of light same as footlamberts or candela dont think that is spelt right.

Drawing the curtains does not light control the environment so just because people have been doing this for years doesn't mean anything. The tv is a light source amplified by the surroundings or subdued the same so it's just as relevant as having a light on in the room for example.

I hate negativity for negativity sake it comes across as bitterness.

However I admit some people are here just for the enjoyment of the hobby fair enough. Other people are here and are interested in getting the maximum performance they can from their systems fair play as well

The people here just for the hobby of it don't need to be negative towards those who are looking to push things, this really bugs me.

Especially as there is a crossover here generally hobbyist are interested in improving their systems also. Without the people pushing things, trying new ideas and bringing things to market there would be no progress.

No one forces anyone to do or buy anything but to shun ideas especially clearly obvious ones is just silly

i couldn't agree more with you ellisdj. *good*

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
On Sunday 1st May Mr Steve Withers will be calibrating my Sony and Panasonic televisions for subdued daylight, with the curtains drawn, but certainly not pitch-black. He will also be suggesting bias lighting for the Sony and LG televisions, because their native black levels are not as deep as those of the Pioneer and Panasonic.

looking forward to your thorough and detailed review :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
As you say, it depends on what your priorities are. If you really want to go all out, then creating an environment similar to a bat cave is the way to go.

+1

UK Coal's number is 01302751751. Plenty of old mines they're trying to shift.

Also, guys, there's this place called "outdoors". You ought to try it some time, but a word of caution, light levels tend to vary according to those things called "weather", "daytime" and "nighttime"....

D

Deleted member 2457

Gone back to the Panasonic ub900 4K blu Ray player now!
regular_smile.gif

Rod, how do you play DVDs full screen again? Cheers.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Gel, you set the ASPECT to 16.9 on the TV. NOT Auto.Also the same on the Player. Because setting to Auto they will show the picture in the native Resolution.ie if the programme/film is 4.3 it will display it in 4.3. Why the hell are you going for the Panasonic UB900? The WHF REVIEW is rubbish!!! who ever it was that reviewed it,hasn't a clue. Or they had a Duff One?As mine is well -- Bloody Good to put it mildly,Definitely not £170.00 better!!!

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Gel. 1. Select Settings on the Samsung Home screen, settings are at the bottom far right hand side, and then press OK button. The Settings screen appears. Select Picture you will see Aspect make sure it is set to 16.9 ORIGINAL[mine is]

D

Deleted member 2457

RodhasGibson said:
Gel. 1. Select Settings on the Samsung Home screen, settings are at the bottom far right hand side, and then press OK button. The Settings screen appears. Select Picture you will see Aspect make sure it is set to 16.9 ORIGINAL[mine is]
No the Panasonic ub900 please?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
More options and spec? Lol. Only if you want better build quality and 7.1 output via analog i believe it is. (Most use hdmi as will you so no need) they say the colour is very slightly better on the Panasonic but worth £170 more? Nah. Most tell no difference between the two.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
There's absolutely no need for the Panasonic player gel. And you know that very well.
What about Dolby vision and being able to switch HDR on and off?

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Gel,Please take notice of BB,Nugget and Myself,as we keep repeating There is nothing repeat nothing wrong with the Samsung its Brilliant as we said. Oh as I didn't actually take delivery of the UB900 [none available for 3 weeks] So haven't seen the Menu recently for it. STICK with the Samsung mate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts