So who has pre-ordered a 4K blu-ray player then?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Ive changed the settings yet again since. I now have the player set to user so it doesnt add any image processing. And turned my smart led from low to medium and dynamic contrast from off to medium

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
ellisdj said:
What have you got your TV Sharpness set to - it looks set quite high?

Depending on the set 0 can actually draw things too sharp, robs the image of depth, quite often after a calibration sharpness goes to - max as that is off. You dont need sharpness on for a sharp picture - thats what greyscale calibration does.

Check this out

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
nugget2014 said:
ellisdj said:
What have you got your TV Sharpness set to - it looks set quite high?

Depending on the set 0 can actually draw things too sharp, robs the image of depth, quite often after a calibration sharpness goes to - max as that is off.  You dont need sharpness on for a sharp picture - thats what greyscale calibration does.

Check this out

Mark hodgkinson did a video of picture settings for my tv on avforums and im using those settings. 44 brightness 0 sharpness..i dont know then. What should it be set around? Maybe it was the dynamic setting making the image look like that on the player its now off but using medium dynamic contrast now. If i take 1 more new photo can you tell if the image still looks off?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I cant tell from a photo I was just going from a guestimation on how sharp the edges of people in the images looked - it looked at little over sharp to me - but its a guess.

Try turning sharpness right off and give your brain a chance to accept the softer image - see what you think.

Razer sharp is not realistic, people shouldnt look drawn onto the screen.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
yes will def be sharper but no I didnt think it was that - I have been looking at upscaled 4K for a bit now, which is technically what this film is, it looked more like over zelous edge definition to me - but as I said its a guess. Given his sharpness setting of 0 which is probably in the middle of the sliders I could well be right.

I always turn sharpness right off on displays, even my PJ its pretty much off - a lot, it needs a little bit but I prefer it off. I hope with proper 4k content it can go right off, I will see one day :)

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
yes will def be sharper but no I didnt think it was that - I have been looking at upscaled 4K for a bit now, which is technically what this film is, it looked more like over zelous edge definition to me - but as I said its a guess. Given his sharpness setting of 0 which is probably in the middle of the sliders I could well be right.

I always turn sharpness right off on displays, even my PJ its pretty much off - a lot, it needs a little bit but I prefer it off. I hope with proper 4k content it can go right off, I will see one day :)

that's the lowest it can go. 0-100. it isn't half way, avforums said 0 and another website did a video of 0 sharpness setting. so it must be right. sharpness is indeed off, someone else suggested 10, i went from 0-10 multiple times and noticed no change so left it at 0. i never know what to look for in an image but looks good to me

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
ellisdj said:

that's the lowest it can go. 0-100. it isn't half way, avforums said 0 and another website did a video of 0 sharpness setting. so it must be right. sharpness is indeed off, someone else suggested 10, i went from 0-10 multiple times and noticed no change so left it at 0. i never know what to look for in an image but looks good to me

I'd invest in having it professionally calibrated. You have a flagship lcd and it'll be worth it.. Although the HDR issue is a worry on the other thread and may be worth waiting until HDR can be calibrated, or not.

My sharpness is set to 0 and its professionally calibrated by Vincent Teoh but mine is a PDP, so may be different to an lcd but the general rule is to switch all processing off on tv, BD and reciver and let the tv do all the talking when calibrated properly.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
ellisdj said:

Fair cop I was wrong - he has it off which is correct

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Series1boy said:
nugget2014 said:
ellisdj said:

I'd invest in having it professionally calibrated. You have a flagship lcd and it'll be worth it.. Although the HDR issue is a worry on the other thread and may be worth waiting until HDR can be calibrated, or not.

My sharpness is set to 0 and its professionally calibrated by Vincent Teoh but mine is a PDP, so may be different to an lcd but the general rule is to switch all processing off on tv, BD and reciver and let the tv do all the talking when calibrated properly.

how much does that normally cost for calibration? i never thought of having it done, and i would consider it if i was to keep the tv for 5 years or so, but this is a semi-temporary TV. i had to get a decent one as a stop gap until 2018 for when a 55-60" OLED is under my budget.

i've read calibrating for hdr can be difficult if even possible and i am pretty happy with my picture already, cant see a calibration doing much more at this time. thanks for the suggestion but once i get my OLED i may have it done.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Various costs can be quoted from different calibrators. Mine was £200 by Vincent Teoh from HdTV test.

not sure about HDR calibration but Vincent would be a good person to ask. However, I would only get it calibrated if you are keeping it.

ive had my VT plasma for 2.5 years and had it calibrated after 200 hours of run in and it was well worth it, a completely different tv afterwards. I'll be keeping my tv for at least another 2 years so that 4K can bed in nicely.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
HC8N3Pb.jpg
[/img]

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Love that film - is looking good I must say. I assume thats HDR on - have you tried with HDR off to see how it compares?

Thanks

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Love that film - is looking good I must say.  I assume thats HDR on - have you tried with HDR off to see how it compares?

Thanks 

No. No way to turn hdr "off" on 4k. I could take the same photo of the 1080p disc to see the difference?

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
gel said:
Is that on dynamic setting?

Movie. But dynamic contrast was on medium. Left it off now looks better for skin tones but hdr is better with it on..tough choice!
Havent a clue what to do with mine, I have tried everything now.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
nugget2014 said:
gel said:
Is that on dynamic setting?

Movie. But dynamic contrast was on medium. Left it off now looks better for skin tones but hdr is better with it on..tough choice!
Havent a clue what to do with mine, I have tried everything now.
And? How is the picture?
Rubbish! I am getting the Panasonic blu Ray player tomorrow to try that. Nick reckons that will be better.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think gel is having issues with compatability
Maybe the hdr scaling in the player is not doing a perfect job with the tv like it is supposed to.

Other sources are reporting poor motion on the Samsung on an lg oled but not rubbish picture that I have seen

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Rubbish in what way?
Its very dark no pop at all, HDR doesn't appear to be working, I have tried turning it on and off via the remote on the TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts